CrazyBoards.org

I have had a couple mood swings recently where I too few thoughts, rather than (as is normal for me) too many. I have read about poverty of thought and am wondering if this is what gets called that. I can't find subjective impressions on the web, just definitions involving poverty of speech. When it happens I have fewer thoughts and there are more spaces between them, and when I am stressed my thoughts will cut out altogether for a couple seconds. I don't know if I am talking less.

It would be a nice relief from thinking too fast and too close together if it weren't unfamiliar and kind of scary to reach for my mental words and not find them there. Because they're always there, they're one of the most major parts of who I am.

(posting in NOS because poverty of thought is not exclusive to bipolar)

Edited by resonance
confusing "two" and "too". eep.

I usually think of that phrase having to do with intellectual laziness rather than anything pathological.

Do you have an example of where it's been used?

I've seen it used in descriptions of bipolar (particularly mania) and as a negative symptom of schizophrenia. It's sometimes equated with or distinguished from poverty of content, meaning vague or shallow meaning of speech.

i had a time period where i was really depressed and my IQ dropped over 30 points (i actually had my IQ tested during this time period heh) and i wasn't thinking. it was both difficult to form a thought (like keep an idea in my brain long enough to follow through) and also difficult to comprehend other peoples' thoughts. i also spent a lot of time with nothing on my mind, but not in a good meditative state way, more like just on pause. i have no idea if that was poverty of thought, but it was a lack of thought and difficulty thinking brought on by severe depression.

is this poverty of thought thing what my pdoc is calling "blunting"?

I'm not sure. I don't recall having it before I went on stimulants, but it didn't directly follow going on them either.

sometimes i find talking to people diffucult because the information goes in but just stops... apparently i grunt a lot and not much else, then days later the info i've been told will process and i can go back to the person to answer questions and stuff, then social ineptness comes in and i'm too embaressed to bring it up, then i obsess about it and get anxious... then finally get around to revisiting the conversation once the person has forgotten about it and it doesn't matter anymore

I think Loon-A-Tik, who mentioned "blunting", is thinking about the emotional variant (or aspect, maybe) of poverty of thought.

However, "blunting" (I assume the doc said it in the context of "blunted affect") in and of itself refers to only the expression of emotion (or lack thereof) seen in SZ and other MI, and not the generation of emotion (or lack thereof).

I've got both "blunted affect" and to a lesser extent "poverty of emotional thought" together with (as per my docs) my recent brain damage, but YMWV.

My "poverty of [rational] thought" has also been shot, namely since I've steadily been becoming an idiot.

Edited by herrfous

Yeah, I had that happen on focalin, although not as much on Adderall. The problems with thought appear to happen during the day as well, and to come and go on my mood-swing schedule, though.

thanks, HF, for that info. i don't feel an emotional blunting, only a mental one, and that is when i'm not on adderall. when it wears off, i'm about as intelligent as your average rock.

i think he (my pdoc) does mean "blunting" to be the poverty of thought, even though as HF pointed out, it is used to describe emotional blunting.

he also told me that it is a symptom of depression, and i have been depressed.

i need to complain! ;):)