CrazyBoards.org

Why can't I take Zyprexa and donate blood?

Guest maddot

Imagine my surprise when Zyprexa showed up on a list of forbidden medications for people donating blood. The nurse at the Canadian Blood Services clinic wasn't able to tell me why this is, other than that it presents a risk to the donor. Does anyone know the science? Or, should I say, does anyone know the science and can explain it to an arts geek like me? 

Guest olga forgot again

That's interesting.  I gave blood in April and I was surprised that they didn't want to know what meds I'm taking.  I did this new "double blood" thing where they take the red blood cells but give you back the plasma--the end result is they get double the usable red stuff.  It was cool.

But I'm on 5 meds plus aspirin.  They asked about the aspirin, but not about the others.  That's a puzzlement to me, too.

I have faith that Strung Out On Life or Velvet Elvis or one of our crackerjack researchers will come up with the answer.  I couldn't find out anything on the Red Cross site.

Oopsie, forgot to log in....I'm

olga

Imagine my surprise when Zyprexa showed up on a list of forbidden medications for people donating blood. The nurse at the Canadian Blood Services clinic wasn't able to tell me why this is, other than that it presents a risk to the donor. Does anyone know the science? Or, should I say, does anyone know the science and can explain it to an arts geek like me?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It might have something to do with the liver enzyme elevation weirdness listed on the Official Zyprexa Website Important Safety Information Page, or the fact that some people got tachycardia...

when i gave blood a couple years ago (after being on seroquel for a year) i got a letter sent to me from united blood services taht my ALT levels were high.  i probably should go fish out that letter so i have somethign more intelligent to say, but my guess is it probably has something to do with elevated liver enzymes like ALT, although i couldn't find where it mentioned that specifically on the zyprexa website. 

now when ubs calls i read the caller id and never answer teh phone, because i'm selfish.  but i get enough blood drawn already for my diabetes and hyperthyrodism, that i feel i can be picky about giving it out to the general populace.  and with all that's wrong with me, who would really want my blood anyway. 

i never really followed up on the ALT levels, and i still haven't gotten a liver panel even though i mentioned it to my endocrinologist.  about six months after i got that letter i developed type I diabetes.  and everyone assures me (it was one of teh first questions i asked on the old crazytalk) that they're in no ways related - so i guess i just have to accept that, but at least the united blood services letter was a tipoff that something was a little wacky with my liver.  so even if you don't give blood, you might want to get a blood test for a liver panel just to make sure everything is in order.  but you might now that already, so i may be stating the obvious. 

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The screening out of individuals who take antipsychotic medications is all about risk factors for disease. Gay men can't donate blood either, even if they use protection every time. Unfortunate that stereotypes are present in medicine, but they have to do everything they can to protect the integrity of the blood system. For instance, there's a Risperdal ad that claims that risperidone is a good treatment for bipolar young women who pick up men for one-night stands!

There may also be a small, but insignificant risk of agranulcytosis with the -pine antipsychotics. With clozapine, the risk is sufficiently high that regular blood testing is required.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm not allowed to donate blood in Canada because I take finasteride for male pattern baldness. Why? Because there's an incredibly low chance that my blood might be infused into a woman who is pregnant and cause birth defects.

Archived