CrazyBoards.org

Adding Marinol to the mix

I went to my family doctor today and he prescribed Marinol to help me to eat because I've lost 12 pounds in 5 weeks. I just don't have an appetite. I'm currently taking Paxil (about 15mgs per day till I feel comfortable going to 20, eventually 30mgs) and Remeron (30mgs). Does anyone know if Marinol will effect the other medications? My doctor knows I'm on Paxil and Remeron. Anyhow the Marinol is like marijuana for those who don't know, except it comes in a pill form instead. Will this interfere with my serotonin levels?

One more note, I have the prescription but my insurance company might not pay for it so we're in the midst of getting the approval. I just wanted to make sure this isn't going to do any harm.

Steve

Please tell me about your experiences with Marinol when you've started taking it! I've always been interested in the positive effects of THC (yes, former pothead), and it's amazing that now even the medicine companies have discovered this.

I would question a gp prescibing Marinol for appetite loss when you are under the care of a pdoc who is treating your depression.  The appetite loss may be part of depression and using Marinol which is only approved for cancer and AID's patients would be like putting a band aid on.  Marinol does have the ability to worsen depression and other mental illnesses in the long term despite initial dysphoric effects.

Katie ;)

Archived