sleep terrors in toddler

My daughter is 3 and has sleep terrors all the time. We tried melatonin, we tried benadryl.

I fact, she's having one right now.

I cant just sit there and watch. it kills me. She just kicks me. I feel so helpless. Just sitting here and waiting for her to stop screaming.

Someone help, please????

when my daughter was four, i got married for the third time, my daughter and I didn't have any real stability the first four years of her life.  I had my duaghter at eighteen , when she was nine months old a stranger broke into my appartment and raped me,, she was  in bed thank god, and he is serving 7 to 10, anyway my point here is that her night terrors started after my last marraige, wich we just celebrated five years.  Is it possible that there has been a change that your child is trying to cope with becuase that could be part of the problem. somtimes children don't have the ability to talk out there feelings, they may not have the words or they might just be afraid.  Eventually my daughter adjusted and they stopped.  But when they do happen it does rip your heart out.  I would go in and hold her and rock her, didn't always wake her up. hang tough

Energ,

It's such a horrible, helpless feeling, sitting there with a completely inconsolable littl'un, and there is pretty much nothing you can do at the time to comfort them.

But from what I've read, it's much harder on you than your daughter.

In reading through some hits on night terrors on google, they are most typical in 3 - 5 year olds and for most people they are pretty much over by the school years. Anywhere from 9 - 25% of children get them depending on what you're reading. They are not nightmares. Night terrors occur in deep, non-rem sleep, usually a couple of hours after bed time and last anywhere from 5 minutes to half an hour. Along with the screaming, you get sweating, red face and a fast heartbeat.

Different theories about their causes include getting stuck in the transition from non-rem to REM sleep, not fully awakening but sensing a full bladder, and having had their regular sleep schedule disrupted.

Some articles recommended briefly waking up your child around an hour and a half to two hours after falling asleep, rocking them for a few minutes, then putting them back down. Then they go into REM sleep and skip the night terror step. A lot of sites also recommend having a consistent bedtime ritual. Trying to awaken your child during a night terror doesn't help, nor does holding them tightly. Sometimes turning on a light helps, as does soothing, low volume, comfort talk. Unlike nightmares, most children remember nothing about night terrors. If you're potty training around this time, take her to the bathroom. Sometimes urinating will stop the night terror.

Night terrors tend to be hereditary and are also somehow linked with sleepwalking, another non-rem sleep activity.

My son had them a few times, and they are truly miserable to see. All I did was rock him and coo soothing words to him. I'm not sure it did him any good, but it made me feel like I was at least doing something a little more helpful than shrugging my shoulders and saying what the fu...

Good luck, and I hope you'll have a good night's sleep soon.

Greeny

Archived