CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Velvet Elvis

Textbooks, get 'em here.

Too bad I didn't notice this a month ago.

Amazon has started selling textbooks. If you follow this link and buy textbooks at Amazon, 1. you won't have go to the bookstore. 2. Crazyboards gets a few pennies.

OK, I'm done spamming the boards for a while.

Edited by Velvet Elvis

I order a lot of my texts used from abebooks.com. Some sellers are excellent, some less so. I save a couple hundred dollars per semester through there. The site is US-based, but its affiliated sellers are located around the world. There's probably a fair shipping deal for every country on the planet. Be scrupulous in checking edition numbers, though. If you're considering buying an older edition of a text, try your very best to check with your prof to make sure the differences are minor before you shell out the money. Some edition changes are nothing more than formatting, meant to make you buy a new book when and old book would suffices. Others reflect significant changes and advances in knowledge. Ask questions and be cautious.

I also get a lot of my literary school texts free from gutenberg.org. We read a lot of old things in my program. Some of them are so old, a decent English translation has fallen into the public domain and made available from Project Gutenberg. This saves me less than abebooks, since I can already borrow most of my literary texts in dead tree format from friends, but it's still a good resource for the cash-strapped student.

After this (and hunting local used bookstores and the student used book co-op network, which are not online), I try amazon. Amazon is often cheaper than the school bookstore by $5-20, and textbooks are so pricey that each individual book qualifies for free shipping. (If you're really lucky, Amazon might be about to offer a paperback version of a text your school bookstore is trying to sell you the hardcover for. Savings galore!) Just try to look up Amazon well in advance of the first day of class. A lot of texts that I've wanted to order through them have had waiting periods of up to 6 weeks attached (though others ship immediately). If you want to be truly frugal, planning ahead can save you big.

Amazon rocks. And please do order through the CB link to support the site. But there are other choices, too. See that you choose the best for you.

Hey, students can now get a Free Amazon Prime Membership ($79 value) at the new Amazon Students page. This gets you free 2-day shipping for one year!

<center>

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=crazyboards05-20&o=1&p=21&l=ur1&category=school&banner=0E0RMXNDQ86WBKDCSY82&f=ifr" width="125" height="125" scrolling="no" border="0" marginwidth="0" style="border:none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

</center>

because im in Australia and also in a regional area, i am not anywhere near a decent bookstore. although amazon postage is more expensive than other places because its so far away, i get secondhand books really cheap.

thanks VE, i'll buy through here from now on.

Just a reminder:

<center>

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=crazyboards05-20&o=1&p=48&l=ur1&category=textbooks&banner=1SW7XBTA0AV7HD956GR2&f=ifr" width="728" height="90" scrolling="no" border="0" marginwidth="0" style="border:none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

</center>

The offer for the free Amazon Prime membership is still good too.

Amazon is actually pretty great, especially student Prime!  The biggest issue comes when you have to wait to receive your aid money for books, and you can only get an advance to the overpriced university bookstore.

I think the biggest thing is to shop around - including overseas.  Once the Amazon UK site (even plus the extra shipping) was over $30 less than the same book on my normal USA Amazon.  Another time, I got my Microbiology book (about $85 less from all sources) from the Czech Republic of all places (which led to a very interesting convo with my credit card company, lol).  So that's something to consider...

Another thing is, if it's a new-ish edition, Amazon tends to offer a credit that's substantially more than what you'd ever get from the bookstore if you send it to them when you're done -- and it's free shipping.  You can even search for how much it will be worth prior to buying the book (Always do ISBN, btw).  So, if you have to - you can buy the book from the bookstore and resale to Amazon & lose a lot less money.  They're fairly lenient about quality... just get one of the better-looking used ones, and you're good.

That said -- now that ebooks have become so popular... do yourself a favor and type the book name into Google with ".pdf" on the end.  (There are other ways, but I'll leave that to you.)  Just sayin'.  :rolleyes:

After spending over $900 in the past for one freaking book due to extortion prices... I can't say I feel at all guilty for not spending a cent in that bookstore in my last two BS semesters.  I just frankly never had the extra money upfront for Amazon.  I only wish the internet was then what it is now.  I don't even want to contemplate the thousands of dollars difference between just the bookstore and Amazon prices that I was forced into spending over time.

They're right about Prime being awesome though.  I even got it extended a year after I graduated (don't ask), because it was really that worth it.

The link doesn't work Velvet, can you update it so when I spend hundreds of dollars on my books you guys can get a cut :)

Do it!

There's no link even visible in the post from where I'm sitting. Just empty whiteness. Startpage via Firefox, anyone?

the link works for me. if i switch the address to .ca instead of .com does this process still work? or is there a separate link for canadian amazon?