I haven't had a psychotic break in 5&1/2 years

I'm 50 and I had my first manic/psychotic episode at 35. Now I don't have them anymore. I thought I was Bipolar I, but now I'm wondering if we get better as we age? In many ways I'm more of an agitated bitch, and more depressed than I used to be, but why wouldn't I get psychotic anymore? And I've been off my meds lots in the last few years (liver damage).

According to the DSM, the interval between manic and depressive episodes tends to decrease with age. But if BP goes untreated for years then kindling can occur which can worsen the Dx or make it more difficult to treat. I think that it may be more likely that this differs on an individual basis but this is only my opinion.

Erika

According to the DSM, the interval between manic and depressive episodes tends to decrease with age. But if BP goes untreated for years then kindling can occur which can worsen the Dx or make it more difficult to treat. I think that it may be more likely that this differs on an individual basis but this is only my opinion.

Erika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well John Nash got better by getting older, so I guess I can, too. But only the psychosis part; the mood part is NOT getting any better for me as I age. 

Well John Nash got better by getting older, so I guess I can, too. But only the psychosis part; the mood part is NOT getting any better for me as I age.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The mood part sucks but it has to be somewhat comforting that you have not experienced anymore psychotic episodes, maybe?

Are all meds out of the question for you now? Some ACs which help with BP and cycling like Topamax are metabolized in the kidneys instead of the liver.

Sorry you having symptoms that can't be medicated that has to be depressing in itself.

Erika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The mood part sucks but it has to be somewhat comforting that you have not experienced anymore psychotic episodes, maybe?

Are all meds out of the question for you now?

I take lithium and clonezepam now.

Yes its wonderful not to experience psychosis - or paranoia, even - anymore. Although I do notice a little paranoia creeping in if I have contact with my family of origin. I was telling someone that there is a doctor here:

http://www.drmckenzie.com/about.html

Who has done research, saying that contact with our family of origin stimulates an infantile area of the brain and it causes us to relapse.

Archived