CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
witchywoman

The Oprah show

Did anyone watch the show she did on bipolar disorder? I didn't get to watch it, but was wondering if anyone else did and if it was any good. Thoughts?

I hate to say this but I thought she used the word crazy too much. Most people interpret that word as being something abnormal in a negative way and something to fear. I did not see the whole show but for the part I watched, I don't remember taking away anything I did not know. I'd like to see many more shows that educate the public about Bipolar.

Can someone pm me and let me know where I can watch the show?

I didn't see it. I am very glad she did a show on it though. She tends to focus on acceptance and bringing things into the mainstream eye - even if she doesn't really understand it.

I didn't see it. I am very glad she did a show on it though. She tends to focus on acceptance and bringing things into the mainstream eye - even if she doesn't really understand it.

The clip on utube was heartening and it inspired me that Oprah does appear to be trying to bring awareness to the illness. That's a great thing. I did not see this portion of the show. I caught the end....

she actually did two shows. One was a few weeks ago and the other was last Thursday and featured Sinead Oconner and her struggles with the disease. I found the first show to be pretty superficial- though maybe if you know absolutely nothing it would have been an introduction.

I felt that the second show went much deeper into the deep dark places people can go and gave a more realistic view of just how awful it is to live with this.

Unfortunately I can't think of her name right now, but on both shows she had a consultant who is an expert on BP- from both sides of it- she has suffered from it and done massive research she's either a psychiatrist of psycholgist. I'd like to read her book, its supposed to be really good .(Dr Kay something? I hope someone can fill in this blank)

The general thing that kills me about how people speak of BP and depression is that these are such "treatable " diseases. If thats so true- then why am I and so many others still such a wreck after 20 yrs of trying to cope with living with it???

Do you know anyone who was "treated"? ( read cured)

Hi Mrs L, I'm betting the doctor Oprah had on was Kay Redfield Jamison, who wrote an excellent memoir of her own stuggles with bipolar, An Unquiet Mind. I'm currently trying to make my way through her book Night Falls Fast, an extensive study of suicide, but it"s very intense (and I think possibly triggering) so I may be about to give up on it, for now. She's written one of the most-used medical textbooks on bipolar too (I don't have the name here, but you could find it on Amazon - heads up, it's very expensive).

Anyway, if you're a reader, her stuff is well worth searching out, especially An Unquiet Mind.

hey zen-

thank you so much- that is definately her. An Unquiet Mind was the book they reffered to. sounds hard enough - i think i'll leave the one about suicide for some other time.

2 things commenting on your comments that are totally off topic ;)

1. the use of the word "crazy" in our society- a big wig in the NRA wrote an article (i was writing a gun control paper in school so i came across this), and said that "crazy" people should not own firearms, and used this word frequently in the article. i wrote to him and told him i was offended, and asked him to use other terms in the future. he was hostile in his response back and said that bipolar people shouldn't own firearms!! that may be up to individual interpretation, i'm not going to get into teh gun control debate, but the word "crazy" drives ME crazy...

2. the expense of quality books that are about the bipolar...it's a shame that they're expensive, because who would want to read them? obviously, bipolar people. and who is on SSDI? bipolar people. go figure. of course, we're not all on ssdi and the expense is within some people's reach, and there's the library, but it is still a shame that i can't order it for myself from amazon.

i hope all that came out right! if it didn't, i'm sorry, and don't mean to offend.

the expense of quality books that are about the bipolar...it's a shame that they're expensive, because who would want to read them? obviously, bipolar people. and who is on SSDI? bipolar people. go figure. of course, we're not all on ssdi and the expense is within some people's reach, and there's the library, but it is still a shame that i can't order it for myself from amazon.

I agree completely. Even those of us who work, tend not to be making tons of money, due to frequent gaps in our employment because of med adjustments, hospitalizations, etc. We should be able to afford these books. And my library carries very little of that kind of thing, and inter-library loan is a hassle.

As to the "crazy" issue - it's one of those words I think we can use, but other people shouldn't. I mean, we mean one thing when we say it - those who don't have direct experience mean other things when they say it. When I saw in the post that Oprah was throwing it around, it struck me as disrespectful, although I imagine she didn't intend it to be.

And for someone to be using it in print would definitely piss me off. Good for you, Loon, for writing to that author and standing up for us!

The general thing that kills me about how people speak of BP and depression is that these are such "treatable " diseases. If thats so true- then why am I and so many others still such a wreck after 20 yrs of trying to cope with living with it???

Do you know anyone who was "treated"? ( read cured)

The trouble with this particular peeve is that "treatable" and "cured" really do mean two different things. The meaning of "curable" is obvious. "Treatable" merely means that tangible measures can be taken to affect the illness in some desirable way, such as to slow its progress or limit (but not necessarily cure) its damage.

I hate to bring up diabetes in indirect comparison to mental illness again, but it seems the most apropos illustration of the difference: diabetes is not, as of yet, curable. If you are diagnosed with juvenile diabetes, you will be diabetic for life. Without effective treatment, a brittle diabetic will not survive for very long. (And you can easily google grotesque images of starved, emaciated children from the pre-insulin days when starvation was the only way to prolong life in the slightest.) With appropriate treatment -- diet control, insulin injections, etc -- a diabetic can live a long and full life, although complications from the disease are quite likely to bring about their death in the end. Diabetes has not yet been cured (although there has been some exciting research on that front), but it is certainly treatable.

Now let's turn to Oprah's expert guest, Dr. Kay Redfield Jamison. Before she allowed herself to be diagnosed and treated, and during an early lapse in treatment, she had a classic, extreme case of BP1. With lithium, which was in its early days of acceptance at the time, she has been able to build and maintain a successful, respected medical and literary career. Her work spans decades of treated productivity. The bipolar is still there. She has not been cured. With treatment, however, she is better able to live as she would choose to live.

Treatment might not always be all that effective (again, look to the emaciated pre-insulin diabetics, or to your own experiences of medicated bipolars still in pursuit of elusive euthymic stability), and many treatable diseases have not yet been cured, but that doesn't mean it has utterly failed to live up to its reputation. "Treatable" and "curable" mean two different things. We hope that treatment will ultimately lead to a cure.

can someone post the link to the youtube clip? im doing a search over there and cant find it. also, can someone pm me if either of the 2 shows will re-run? id love to hear jamison!

Edited by betcsu

[quote name='Loon-A-TiK' post=

1. the use of the word "crazy" in our society- a big wig in the NRA wrote an article (i was writing a gun control paper in school so i came across this), and said that "crazy" people should not own firearms, and used this word frequently in the article. i wrote to him and told him i was offended, and asked him to use other terms in the future. he was hostile in his response back and said that bipolar people shouldn't own firearms!! that may be up to individual interpretation, i'm not going to get into teh gun control debate, but the word "crazy" drives ME crazy...

Edited by Stasis

well i guess i should be happy for all those who find themselves "treatable" ( i actually really am but i'm just so annoyed right now) Dr Jamison is a great example- successful career etc. i'm just saying from my experience i havn't seen people respond as she did.

and i guess i am venting my extreme anger at being what they call "treatment resistent". I used to have a great successful proffesional career- but since this hit, i havn't even worked in years. i guess i hate that i feel when people on tv or wherever talk about how treatable this is- its really misleading. yes it is treatable for some who respond exeptionally well to meds- but for those of us that don't- it makes me feel like that much more of a failure everytime i hear you don't have to live like this- well yeah i do ( and it certaily not for a lack of trying- every med every type of therapy) if this is treated then this is a truly stupid world.(not that i didn't already know that anyway)

end rant

{{HUGS}} to mrs loony! hang in there!

i'm still looking for the oprah youtube clip...

Guest Guest_JustMe_*

I'd like to see the youtube clip, too. I saw the first show and thought it was better than most. My daughter also watched it and said it did a reasonable job but was completely ticked at Oprah who admitted her ignorance and judgemental opinions regarding it in the past. Once again, most people see "physical" illness and understandable and are better able to accept it - "mental" illness on the other hand..... I wish I'd seen the Sinead O'Connor show because I'd like to understand the dark side of it much more so I can be more understanding of my daughter.

Given our family has only been in this situation for a few years, I can't begin to understand the wear and tear this takes on the patients (although it has definitely taken its toll on my daughter and our family). In our case, she can have reasonable long periods of relatively good health (six months or so) and then all hell breaks loose. We do see a pattern of mania in August/September but this may be college related (which isn't going well). I think the goal has to be on treatment and that's easy to say and hard to do since you are constantly being used as a guinea pig for different meds.

Sorry, Mrs. Loony - hang in there!

{{HUGS}} to mrs loony! hang in there!

i'm still looking for the oprah youtube clip...