CrazyBoards.org

Top three ADD "couch potato" distractions

I feel like such a loser right now, for constantly retreating to my couch to indulge myself in completely unproductive, mind-numbing "activities". It's usually not this bad, and I know it'll pass in a while, but it's so frustrating. Does anyone else know what I mean? So what is keeping you from doing what you oughta/want to do? Okay, I

I feel like such a loser right now, for constantly retreating to my couch to indulge myself in completely unproductive, mind-numbing "activities". It's usually not this bad, and I know it'll pass in a while, but it's so frustrating. Does anyone else know what I mean? So what is keeping you from doing what you oughta/want to do? Okay, I

i'm starting to get a life, and it is actually upsetting. well, i have anxiety issues too, but it is like i can't pay attention to all of it at once. my mind just goes everywhere and off into space. then people ask me a question and i'm back to reality, and didn't hear a word anyone just said...then have to ask for a repeat, which is embarrassing...you get the idea.

at least the TV and computer don't expect you to remember what they just said. and you can zone out the world and veg.

i'm with n0t, sometimes i don't know where the time has gone!

Distractions:

1. outer space. just pointless, random thinking of nothing in particular.

2. the computer

3. a really good talk with someone who is smart enough to make talking to them worthwhile

Loon - I'm totally with you on the "good talk with someone who is smart enough to make talking to them worthwhile". It reminds me of this line from a song which goes something like [insert faint memory of brilliant line from song]. Have to get back to you on that one, I need coffee. Was it maybe a song by the Smiths? Anyone?

Just my 2 cents: I think ADDers tend to do the couch-zone-out-on-mindless-crap for a few reasons. Those of us that aren't inattentive type have a tendency to hyperfocus (if the task is fun or satisfying), so spending hours on things like playing puzzle games, or having 50 browser windows open to research some "very interesting" topic is just an expression of this. Another idea I have is that we are easily OVER-stimulated and focusing on something that is relatively undemanding of our senses can be like taking a break from all the "noise" (everything going on around us). Lastly, these type of activities are good for distraction and positive reinforcement (like games, for example)...if you're depressed or anxious on top of having ADD, escaping your own negative ruminations can be a godsend.

Now, onto the request of the OP... :wtf: I tend to busy myself with chores and other physical activities when I'm at home (probably because of the stimulants) and don't sit down too often. Yeah, I'll watch a movie...but I have to be dusting the TV at the same time. ;) Multi-tasking will be my downfall!

Anyway, when I DO manage to make myself sit down and zone out on something:

1. Web stuff

Reading blogs and forums. Managing finances/paying bills. Entertaining myself on useless/silly social networking sites. Research related to my "mental condition". Reading scientific articles and whatever else catches my eye. Reading celebrity news delivered with a thick coating of snark (thesuperficial.com is my favorite). Sometimes chatting with friends (though I'm more socially withdrawn than not, thanks to the big D). If I get really bored, I might play some online games (word and puzzle, usually).

2. Gaming on our PS3

Never been a big console gamer, but man, I love that thing. I recently began FFXXII and needless to say, it has sucked me in. This is what I usually go for when I'm trying to unwind or escape.

3. Chores

I know we're talking about lazy type stuff, but we're also talking about mindless stuff so I think it fits. Sometimes I feel like a damned maid, because I'm almost always doing laundry or picking things up. With 2 young children and a husband with a bum leg/back, there's enough to do around the house to keep me distracted for an entire day for the rest of my life. :)

While all of the above can be satisfying in it's own way, I do wish I wasn't held back from so many other activities due to depression. :cussing: I used to like shopping and going places, writing music and doing silly crap with my friends. Now it's one of the above and just about nothing else. My medical leave is over this week, so it will likely be work and #3 starting next Monday.

• 3 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents: I think ADDers tend to do the couch-zone-out-on-mindless-crap for a few reasons. Those of us that aren't inattentive type have a tendency to hyperfocus (if the task is fun or satisfying), so spending hours on things like playing puzzle games, or having 50 browser windows open to research some "very interesting" topic is just an expression of this. Another idea I have is that we are easily OVER-stimulated and focusing on something that is relatively undemanding of our senses can be like taking a break from all the "noise" (everything going on around us). Lastly, these type of activities are good for distraction and positive reinforcement (like games, for example)...if you're depressed or anxious on top of having ADD, escaping your own negative ruminations can be a godsend.

Now, onto the request of the OP... :wtf: I tend to busy myself with chores and other physical activities when I'm at home (probably because of the stimulants) and don't sit down too often. Yeah, I'll watch a movie...but I have to be dusting the TV at the same time. ;) Multi-tasking will be my downfall!

Anyway, when I DO manage to make myself sit down and zone out on something:

1. Web stuff

Reading blogs and forums. Managing finances/paying bills. Entertaining myself on useless/silly social networking sites. Research related to my "mental condition". Reading scientific articles and whatever else catches my eye. Reading celebrity news delivered with a thick coating of snark (thesuperficial.com is my favorite). Sometimes chatting with friends (though I'm more socially withdrawn than not, thanks to the big D). If I get really bored, I might play some online games (word and puzzle, usually).

2. Gaming on our PS3

Never been a big console gamer, but man, I love that thing. I recently began FFXXII and needless to say, it has sucked me in. This is what I usually go for when I'm trying to unwind or escape.

3. Chores

I know we're talking about lazy type stuff, but we're also talking about mindless stuff so I think it fits. Sometimes I feel like a damned maid, because I'm almost always doing laundry or picking things up. With 2 young children and a husband with a bum leg/back, there's enough to do around the house to keep me distracted for an entire day for the rest of my life. :)

While all of the above can be satisfying in it's own way, I do wish I wasn't held back from so many other activities due to depression. :cussing: I used to like shopping and going places, writing music and doing silly crap with my friends. Now it's one of the above and just about nothing else. My medical leave is over this week, so it will likely be work and #3 starting next Monday.

I had to quote your entire content; that is me to the T, but with depression, I tend to get lazy and not want to do anything; I clean enough to have a clean home, but clothes are everywhere (clean of course), and so are the dishes in the kitchen; clean but not put away at all. I hyperfocus on everything, and MUST KNOW HOW THINGS WORK; even if it takes me 5 hours to figure out a function on something.....I will keep at it till I understand all of it before I move on. You are on point with # 1 too, omg! I feel normal. thank you :cussing:

I had to quote your entire content; that is me to the T, but with depression, I tend to get lazy and not want to do anything; I clean enough to have a clean home, but clothes are everywhere (clean of course), and so are the dishes in the kitchen; clean but not put away at all. I hyperfocus on everything, and MUST KNOW HOW THINGS WORK; even if it takes me 5 hours to figure out a function on something.....I will keep at it till I understand all of it before I move on. You are on point with # 1 too, omg! I feel normal. thank you :)

Well, I must say that even the chores and "necessary daily activities" have become VERY difficult to achieve as my depression worsened. When I wasn't severely depressed, Adderall was enough to motivate me to focus on boring tasks for work. It took months to realize why "that damned Adderall" wasn't "working" anymore. It's like, nothing is stronger than depression! ;) Sometimes I'm certain the only reason I still keep the house relatively clean is because I feel worse when it's a mess. A depressed person doesn't really need anymore fuel for the I'm-useless fire, so I at least pick up and keep the laundry clean.

• 3 weeks later...

1) computer

2) CSI

3) text twist

i'm an expert at losing myself in mind-numbing activities. i'm more of the hyperfocus type add kid ... i don't have 1278 windows open on my desktop because i get bored and my thoughts wander around like a blind, directionally impaired lemming - instead i'm reading them all at the same time and zooming around in my head putting all the pieces of the puzzle together ... and then discover there are still pieces missing, so i need to look for them and put them into place. at the expense of all other things. hah!

depends if I'm at school in GA, or at home here in VT.

let me preface that I read really fast for some reason. a 300page book takes about 1 1/2 hours? maybe 2-3 if I'm not 100% into it or sleepy. (Hyperfocus? I think so with the reading on the internet and reading books..IDK)

Georgia:

• tv.

• daytime: scrubs is on for about 4 hours straight if you swap between 4 channels
      • evening: csi and law&order svu/ci are allllways on at night
      • middle of the f-ing night: fresh prince, on for like 5 hours straight

[*]internet.

• WRITING TOO DARN LONG POSTS HERE THAT NOBODY CAN DEAL WITH READING, lol

• crazyboards (duh).. I've read back at least 10-15 pages (as many as I can) in posts in almost all of the forums, especially ADD, Depression, Bipolar, OCD, and meds forums for ADs, CNS Stimulants, and Anticonvulsants/mood stabilizers

[*]"research"

• I find all this psychology stuff SOOOOOOOOOOOO interesting. seriously. I've exhausted nytimes magazine online, webmd, crazymeds, prescription websites (ADs, CNS, etc.), and on and on and on. I will sit online and read for like 5 hours straight when I get into it, I can't get enough on my own issues (depression, for instance) or now, everything else, like bipolar or other MIs
  • reading books about all this stuff, like "stumbling on happiness" by daniel gilbert (so good, I got the 7hour audio book to listen to on the car ride from NYC to VT), wider than the sky (about conciousness, by nobel prize winner Gerald M. Edelman-- this one is about brain function and goes over my head, but I try.) etc. The Road less Travelled by M.Scott Peck

Vermont:

• ditto on "internet" and "research" (we don't have a tv) but add:
  • RE-READING books that I've read 200times,

• Prozac Nation. Read it so so so many times, it's all dog-eared and raggedy my favorite quote:

• "I don't care that I don't care, but I do care a little bit that I don't care that I don't care."

[*]A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith. Been my favorite book since I was 13. Francie, the main character (poor irish family, growing up just before the depression) IS ME. I mean that she THINKS about the world the same way as me ;) I love it. it's amazing. this one is held together by rubberbands because it's so worn-in and loved.

[*]Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter (sometimes, I kinda outgrew rereading these), the list goes on and on and on

meg

1. Internet

2. Daydreaming

3. Xbox 360

4. TV

how come I seem to be incapable of writing short posts like this one?

straightforward and not 10pages long. am jealous, lol

meg

• 2 weeks later...

1. Computer pursuits (surfing, posting, Wikipedia-ing, exploring program utilities that I'll never use...)

2. Reading magazines, old and new. Bad! I must donate them to the local homeless shelter.

3. Watching figure skating videos.

It's truly scary and sad how much of my life I've eaten up with these generally useless activities. . Dang, I'm doing it again--right NOW!! ;):)

1.- Internet (reading stuff that catch my mind's attention, videos, chating, more reading).

3.- Day dreaming. If I suddenly listen an interesting song, that's it for me, I'm trapped in a day dream.

2.- PS3 (playing games, watching movies, listening to music, oh man I love my PS3 it's my ADD's best friend).

Archived