CrazyBoards.org

Is there a real good reason?

Is there a real good reason to disclose something to your pdoc and tdoc that might be real real hard for you if you have already been diagnosed with bp? I have something that I have never disclosed to anyone and I dont think I can. But I am already diagnosed and on meds and doing ok. What do you all think? I am torn as to what to do!

if disclosing will help get you treatment or prevent a trust violation with your docs, i think its a great idea. otherwise, from the sound of it here, you want to keep this to yourself. but then again secrets have a way of consuming you with no outside release or perspective. we CBers are always here, pm or public. good luck deciding.

i'm sorry for whatever happened to you that gave you reason to have this secret in the first place.

for me, wounds fester unless i talk about them. i may surpress them for a little while, but then they need to be brought to light.

you'll come to your decision in time. remember, you can always change your mind. remember, your docs are paid to treat you. they're professionals, and are there for you. we're not professionals here, but we're here too.

best of luck!

I guess it really depends on the subject matter. I assume you are asking us because you need an outsider's perspective. It's really hard to figure out what is effecting us and how. This may be something that you would feel better telling to your tdoc or it may be helpful for them to know.

Either way, to tell or not to tell, is your decision and could be one that effects your treatment. I only say that because it is such a big thing that you need help deciding whether or not to tell.

If you are at peace with whatever it is, I'd say let it rest. But if it is causing some sort of emotional stirring, even small, you may want to bring it up.

And of course like username said, we're here if you want more support. Feel free to pm.

Luna.

i think it is wholly about your comfort level. there are a few things that i feel like i should tell my therapist about, but i haven't. he approaches it as an if it's the right time it will come situation, and that's lessened the pressure on me and i'm ok with holding those things until i feel comfortable disclosing them. if disclosing what you're keeping will destabilize you, make sure that you are ready in your theraputic relationship for that destabilization and that you have the support you need. and, as was said, we're always here to talk.

• 2 weeks later...

So--I have LOTS of grisly material stemming from manic episodes. I mean scary stuff that doesn't belong in this universe.

I have to tell you that sharing with my pdoc is pretty useless since he's essentially a pill pusher and I don't find him to be particularly insightful. HOWEVER, most studies prove that you'll do better with some congnitive-behavioral work to compliment the head candy.

For me, I chose someone of the opposite sex that made me feel soothed (not remotely attractive). I disclose everything to her under the agreement that she won't call the cops or the CIA or whatever--without warning me first. Perhaps I know this agreement is a convenient fiction so I can let down the walls.

But I will tell you--it feels SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good to have someone you can just tell anything to without fear of reprisal or other personal/social damaging results. It helps. Talk about it--but find someone "safe".

You know what I mean.

Is there a real good reason to disclose something to your pdoc and tdoc that might be real real hard for you if you have already been diagnosed with bp? I have something that I have never disclosed to anyone and I dont think I can. But I am already diagnosed and on meds and doing ok. What do you all think? I am torn as to what to do!

Although I've been historically an over-share sort of fellow, I can understand the difficulty of discussing something that must be incredible painful for you. But in addition to the quality of your relationship with your doctors your decision to reveal this information probably hinges on what, exactly it is.

In particular, you might want to consider asking whether the nature of this information would fundamentally change your treatment in any way. I.e. is it something that might be diagnostically important and/or long-term treatment? Is it something that is psychodynamically adding to any underlying stress or trauma? I think the latter one is particularly relevant because holding something traumatic in can subvert it into the somatic system and/or lead to an overburdened HPA due to the increased allostatic pressure. This could potentially get in the way of long-term healing.

BTW, I'm in no way attempting to fish for details here. But as hard as it might be, moving forward sometimes can mean really addressing the past. If you have a good trust relationship built up with your tdoc/pdoc (or anyone else) that might be a good place to do that.

Just a couple of thoughts. Good luck with your decision.

cache-monkey

Archived