CrazyBoards.org

Well I know I definitely obsess. I have intrusive thoughts up the wazoo! I've looked briefly at OCD and what its definition entails. Why do they talk about cleaning, hoarding, etc...? How did those certain categories ever come about? I'm trying to think about if I compulse but maybe I'm simply not noticing things I actually do repetitively. I definitely go on cleaning sprees but maybe not to the extent of taking up an hour per day (or whatever the criteria is). What about other things? What can I look at within myself that I may compulse about? Suggestions?

I think they use the examples of cleaning in particular is that it is a very common symptom of OCD. This is really an anxiety disorder, and those that suffer often feel that if they can clean their home or themselves perfectly it will relieve their feeling of panic and frequent fear of germs. this can lead to people washing their hands to the point of bleeding and cleaning to the point that its never good enough so that they can't leave the house.

It can certainly come in many forms and this is a gross generalization just to give you an idea.

other compulsions often include counting, like having to chew every bite 200 times- EVERY bite or whatever it may be. or doing anything over and over and over because you would totally lose it if someone interupted you.

also- generally for diagnostic purposes it would have to be something that interferes with your normal life or causes you great distress.

Looking at the current DSM might help- definately talk to tdoc and pdoc- they would be able to evaluate whats going on for you as every one is different.

intrusive thoughts may also be symptoms of other disorders- actually probably every disorder out there may involve some kinds of intrusive thoughts.

Archived