CrazyBoards.org

It seems a while since Topamax was a hot topic on the boards and it's next in line on the pdocs list of things I've yet to try.

What I would like to know are both people's personal experiences with topiramate and particularly, did anyone actually lose weight and did it turn you in to a box-o-rocks for brains?

Cheers all

I've been on topa for seven months, and I love it. For me, it's been great for my obsessive and intrusive thoughts, and ragey-ness, and, after the initial start up, really hasn't made me into the village idiot. Start up was no fun at all, but once I got through that, it's been an amazing med for me.

It really worked well for me back in the day; especially for mixed state stuff. Starting it was a bitch, I couldn't remember a damn thing and the word finding was brutal. I took it for about 3 years, and word finding was always a problem. I just felt so good on it, I didn't care. Ultimately, it didn't seem to be helping or hurting, and my psych took me off it. I lost quite a bit of weight on it--50 or so lbs. But then again, I was on seroquel too--so I had pounds to lose. Good luck.

Topamax was the best thing I've ever taken, at least for the six months or so before it stopped working. Nothing else has ever helped me as much as it did, and it's the only thing I've ever taken that did more good than bad. I actually got less stupid when I started taking it, although suddenly not having frequent seizures will do that, I suppose. It's debatable whether or not I lost weight because of it and how much it was if I did. I started mysteriously losing weight a couple months before I started taking it, so it's hard to say whether or not the Topamax contributed to that continuing.

I have been on it for a little over a month and it is going well. It is helping with my moods and my migraines. I have had the typical side effects of tingling in my feet and hands and some occassional forgetfulness, but that is about it. Otherwise, all is going well. I wish you luck!

OK. On this, my --3rd-- go-round, I have once again been losing weight, yes (shame for asking!). mental acuity...fairly normal, though in my job, how would I know? First time 'round, though, I did happen to forget my name once. And kinda where I lived, for a while. Though, by happy circumstance, I always forgot where my road was about a quarter mile before where it was rather than after. Lucky me!

Other than that. it's done what's needed--killed the manias, quelled the rages, and dulled the drinking. trifecta, yo.

Let us note that it REALLY isn't indicated for treating mania and this is really a, I consider, fad thing; it's far more likely to hose your brain than help your mania. Whatever. If it's next in line then yeppers, go for it, that's just my generic warning for readers-at-large.

1) How does it compare to Depakote?

and

2) Does it do much more than control Mania; or does it actually raise your mood?

Thanks for any replies...

I took it for recurrent depression and it definitely helped for a while there, until it didn't. It also helped quite a bit with anxiety and OCD type issues. Clinical trials are now underway for its use for OCD.

2) Does it do much more than control Mania; or does it actually raise your mood?

The rub there, is in the question you ask and how you ask it. I've heard that, badically, anticonvulsants often have a mood depressing effect, except for weird-ass lamictal of course. Oh yes, insert usual YMMV blah blah here. ACs in general should be looked at to control moods, not lift. Topamax in particular has, to date, not tested well in any mood control aspect, at least in a wide range of people; side effects usually hose people before any proper control sets in.

Really it's just weird ass shit and, like most new meds, they're throwing it at anything it shows promise for. The only reason I ever got on it is cuz it helps with the booze. lucky for me, it also helps the mania far better than lithium, as well as those massive rage outbreaks. i just got really lucky on this one.

1) How does it compare to Depakote?

and

I took it for recurrent depression and it definitely helped for a while there, until it didn't. It also helped quite a bit with anxiety and OCD type issues. Clinical trials are now underway for its use for OCD.

The rub there, is in the question you ask and how you ask it. I've heard that, badically, anticonvulsants often have a mood depressing effect, except for weird-ass lamictal of course. Oh yes, insert usual YMMV blah blah here. ACs in general should be looked at to control moods, not lift. Topamax in particular has, to date, not tested well in any mood control aspect, at least in a wide range of people; side effects usually hose people before any proper control sets in.

Really it's just weird ass shit and, like most new meds, they're throwing it at anything it shows promise for. The only reason I ever got on it is cuz it helps with the booze. lucky for me, it also helps the mania far better than lithium, as well as those massive rage outbreaks. i just got really lucky on this one.

Interesting. I'm mainly looking into the mood-stabilizers because Lithium actually had a very strong anti-depressant effect on me that it apparently shouldn't have had. Previously, I had thought that Depakote would be worth a try but not Topamax.. but according to your post, VE, that's not entirely true. There's just alot of conflicting information that they're meant to help stop the up-swings, but occasionally do the opposite. Which seems contradictory. But if it helps anxiety and OCD, that's definitely a plus.

Archived