CrazyBoards.org

Keeping a McJob with ADD and a BA

I just started a new job today and I feel so mixed up about it.

I recently quit another job which I had for about two months. It was a very proffesional creative job which fit my creative education perfectly, but for some reason I just couldn't be bothered about it. I was so bored with the whole workplace and the way people seemed so unpassionate about what they were doing. I'm fresh out of school so I'm used to a different tempo and a different level of commitment.

At the same time as quitting this job I decided to move back to my home country in about a month. I don't know yet if I made this decision because I need to go back home to friends and familiar surroundings, or if I did it to make a drastic change in my life, out of boredom. Guess I'll see when I get there, huh?

Im in a really strange place at the time being. I'm kind of on stand by because I know I'm only here for a month, and I'm so bored with not having anything to do. I'm glad I quit the job because it really made me miserable, but at the same time, I'm so dissapointed in myself for not being able to keep it. So I started this new McJob today(it's NOT in the fast food business or anything like that btw!) to keep myself amused and get some cash and meet some people and learn some new things and all that. But this is really hard! It's so much harder than being a proffesional. I have to learn all this new crap and I can't remember any of the information I get, I keep screwing up and I can't focus on anything. I don't really care about keeping this job, but it worries me that this ADD shit is making it so hard for me, I can't even learn how to do a freakin McJob! I have a lot of work experience and this shouldn't be a problem. Maybe the problem is that I don't feel any kind of neccesity or excitement about this thing.

I just spent four hours there and I'm already beating myself up about it. Great.

Funny thing is, I felt so energized when I came back home, I started doing all these things I've been postponing for months!

Somebody just tell me anything. I'm not on the edge here, I just need some empathy. Or maybe a good kick in butt would do wonders, I don't know.

i've held a few of those type "McJob" s and honestly i think you are beating yourself up about this. cuz first days anywhere like that are hard and discouraging for everyone. its a lot to take in and yeah there are a few ridiculous people who start at a place like that and get it immediately, but that's their life and the majority of people are lost and f-up their first day. if you aren't knowledgable and on your game in 2 weeks, i'd say there's a problem. from the sound of it though you are going to be ok. energy is good and a schedule that motivates you to do shit, damn i'm jealous. two weeks trial. totally ok to not feel committed to it, excitement i think tho will come with the energy it gives you.

--my thoughts

usernametaken - thanks for your quick response ;)

It just occurred to me that the reason I'm freaking out over this pathetic little issue, is that this is an ongoing thing with me. I've been through so many jobs I can't even remember all of them. Probably over 40, and I'm only 24! I'm still young so I guess I'm allowed to screw up and try things out, but will this ever pass? Also, I was only recently diagnosed with ADD and I actually never considered shifting jobs every three months a problem until now! Am I just making a big deal out of a very small thing?

It just occurred to me that the reason I'm freaking out over this pathetic little issue, is that this is an ongoing thing with me. I've been through so many jobs I can't even remember all of them. Probably over 40, and I'm only 24! I'm still young so I guess I'm allowed to screw up and try things out, but will this ever pass? Also, I was only recently diagnosed with ADD and I actually never considered shifting jobs every three months a problem until now! Am I just making a big deal out of a very small thing?

Over 40 different jobs and you still haven't grasped the concept of taking a job and sticking with it? That's fine for day labor jobs, fast food, and maybe minor clerical work - any job site where the business model is to hire young inexperienced workers, overwork them, and toss them out before they wise up, slow down, or get injured. Those jobs won't be available to you forever.

For any other prospective employer, there is nothing you can bring to the table that can't be rented from a temp agency. The main difference is that the temp would last longer, and there's a chance of recouping the investment in training her.

If you hope to ever have something that can be called a career, you're going to have to develop the discipline needed to show up and work even after the shiny aspects wear off and some days you just don't want to. You're also going to have to develop the maturity to realize that you're not entitled to not be bored nor to having a vibrant workplace filled with professionals who are passionate about their work. If ADHD medication could fix either problem, quite a few employers would be lacing the water coolers with speed.

• 5 weeks later...

usernametaken - thanks for your quick response ;)

Hang in there is all I have to say. I spent 10 years in the military and loved it all; even though I left with more issues than going in, but that is ok. At any rate, I have a M.Ed. and I am working on an MBA. I have been out for a year now, and changed job 3 times. Each has me going further away from wanting to be around people. Never used to be like this, but once the ADHD factor kicked in, and I am taking the time to learn more about it and how it relates to me, I am finding myself more intune with me which is great, becuase it helps the process, but more out of tune with the outside, becuase I feel like an outcast and I feel like I am no longer "with people of the same group"...even though they will never know if I did not tell them and I dont. All three of my jobs were close to $90K per year salaries. I left them all because as I am figuring myself out, I am realizing that in all honesty,I am not ready for the professional encounters just yet. I have great credentials with very in-demand skills, yet I sit at home and take it easy on myself. With this, I have decided why not explore ventures where I am in control and can manage my time. I am working hard toward my MBA and hope to start small businesses in the area, where other people can manage - I dont have to be in the spot light. I already know what I am capable off. Just think about this and see it from within you to do what is best for you; not what fits a certain status quo ok?

Hugs.

and i thought i was bad at having+keeping jobs!!! you've outdone me by a long shot!

sometimes work isn't exciting. actually, work is just that, work. there are moments where it is fun and you forget you're working, and times when you're looking at the clock every 2 seconds and wishing work would just go away.

it's normal to feel bored sometimes at work. not everyone at work will be remotely into it. there will be people who just don't care. there are also some who care very much.

if you go through jobs like candy, think about why. it seems you have thought about it, but it seems like you're craving more than you're going to find with a regular job. maybe you need a risky job? ;)

i'm with the others that there needs to be commitment. you're not always going to be excited about it. in a marriage, you're not always going to be excited about it, and the same holds true at work. you've got to keep at it to see into the job and make your own niche. once you find a place for yourself, things should be more fun.

Archived