CrazyBoards.org

Ambien - Advice Please

I've tried Sonata and Lunesta. They worked... ok, for a little while. Neither really did much but make me a little more tired & thus easier to get to sleep on my own. I've used Seroquel, and that usually knocks me out quite nicely.. but due to drowsiness the next morning, I don't like to use it on a regular basis. So I saw that Ambien CR had a free trial thing going on, and got my pdoc to rx me some. It doesn't knock me out as much as Seroquel, but it works alot better than the other two. So I decided to get it prescribed permanently for the time being at my last visit.

Well, I just came back from getting it filled.. and I realized that my pdoc wrote me the wrong script. He did regular Ambien at 10mg instead of Ambien CR at 12.5mg. I know he meant to do the other b/c he gave me samples of it & had previously written a refill for the 7-day trial script when I didn't have insurance. (Now I have Cobra elected for the next couple of weeks)

So now I have 7 days worth of samples, a refill on the 7 day rx, and a bottle of 30 Zolpidem 10mg MFG-Teva. The generic only cost me $10.. and I don't know the price for the CR (and I'm short on cash). But it's very important that the med work as well, if not better, than what I've taken already.

So I need to know.. do I:

A) Take the Zolpidem (maybe 2x)..or

B) Use my samples, then get another rx on monday

What do you guys think? [i have insomnia and early awakening..]

some people have reported problems with the teva manufactured generic ambien. (personally i think most of what they make is bunk.)

generic or brand, i find that the CR is MUCH more effective at getting and KEEPING me asleep for the night. it costs more, but to me the price difference is more than worth it.

Personally, I never found much of a difference between the regular and CR. They both kept me asleep for the same amount of time, which was about 5-6 hours. But I found that ambien leves me groggy and more depressed the next day so I dont take it anymore and have switched to lunesta. Lunesta is not as strong, but I dont mind taking an hour to fall asleep as long as I feel alright the next day.

IMO, the generic is not the same as the name brand, but the Prasco generic seems to work best for me. Since my insurance no longer covers the name brand, I don't have much of a choice.

I did get a script for the Ambien CR, and am thinking of giving it a shot.

Lunesta works ok too, but not as good as Ambien.

Well, I haven't tried any of the generics, so no help there but I can speak to regular ambien vs. ambien CR - I thought the CR was horrid (to me the CR stands for CRap). It was harder to fall asleep and didn't really help me stay asleep

BUT

I am a strange strange insomniac whom has tried everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, and nothing really works well, so I tend to think everything is crap.

Cet, call and ask the pharmacies which generics they carry. That's what I did and it just so happened that my local pharmacy carried it. I had heard horrid things about the Teva generic, as well as some others, and I read on other forums that the Prasco generic is actually manufactured by Santo Aventis which is the same company that manufactures Ambien.

Give it a shot, you never know.

Cet, call and ask the pharmacies which generics they carry. That's what I did and it just so happened that my local pharmacy carried it. I had heard horrid things about the Teva generic, as well as some others, and I read on other forums that the Prasco generic is actually manufactured by Santo Aventis which is the same company that manufactures Ambien.

Give it a shot, you never know.

Thanks. I didn't know Prasco was produced by the actual manufacturer. That's a huge bonus, even if it doesn't work extended release. Something is always better than nothing. I could just use it as a back-up when, and if, I run out of the CR samples.

I prefer the CR version, but my co-pay on brand drugs is $30 and the generic Ambien is less than $8. Since I don't get that much extra benefit from the CR, I've been sticking with the cheaper option. The CR version is $300 through Medco, so if you don't have insurance, generic is definitely the way to go.

I've used both the Teva and Prasco versions. The CVS in my area uses Teva and Rite Aid uses Prasco. I personally don't notice any difference between the two or between the generic and the brand. My b/f said the Teva didn't work for him, but the Prasco did. The only reason I prefer the Prasco is the tablets are shaped the same as the brand and are easy to split - the Teva ones are tiny round tablets that are difficult to split - even with a pill splitter.

I don't know the names of all of them, but I think there are at least seven different manufacturers of the generic. Or did you mean the only other generics carried by pharmacies in your area are Mylan and Apotex? Either way... I don't have experience with either of those. Did you try doing a search?

I don't know the names of all of them, but I think there are at least seven different manufacturers of the generic. Or did you mean the only other generics carried by pharmacies in your area are Mylan and Apotex? Either way... I don't have experience with either of those. Did you try doing a search?

Yeah, I meant that those are the only two carried in the area besides Teva. I haven't done a general search on those two yet, I was hoping someone would have experience with their Ambien and not just them in general..

Archived