CrazyBoards.org

I have major depression and anxiety out the wazoo. Finally, I tried Seroquel, and it helped tremendously with both the depression and the anxiety AND sleep. I was finally able to sleep well and wake up relatively refreshed. This was at 600mg Seroquel and 90mg Cymbalta.

Unfortunately, Seroquel also pushed my blood sugar up to 150, so the alarm went off. Had to go down to 300mg Seroquel. At this dose, I can't sleep, and I feel depressed and more anxious. I have klonopin prn.

I have lost 22 lbs, and I need to lose a lot more. The Seroquel seems to just fight me every step of the way.

So, to the point: I would like to replace Seroquel with something that won't make me so fat and diabetic.

Anyone have experience with such? I'd like to try another anti psychotc that I can take at a higher dose and not be a blimp. But, I'm afraid that Abilify will make me too anxious.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Zyprexa is out.. that will make you gain weight.

Risperdal makes you hungry, but you're supposed to be able to stay the same if you watch what you eat - it helps alot with anxiety.

Abilify helped most out of the AP's with my depression, but it was too activating - you wouldn't gain weight.

Geodon can be either activating or sedating. Probably the same as Risperdal in the weight department. I didn't have any luck with it.. but it could possibly help with all three of your problems: depression, anxiety, and sleep if you find a really good dose.

My pdoc had me go back to seroquel at my request because abilify was causing me so much anxiety. She said you don't have to gain weight. you just have to work really hard not to. That means don't eat too much even if you have cravings. Stay away from non-complex carbs. And exercise. We'll see how that goes!

I took a low dose of Risperdal and it didn't make me gain weight. (I was eating very well and jogging at the time, actually, so I think I slimmed down some.)

I feel like a jerk for suggesting this, but are there changes to your eating or activity habits that could make a difference? I know the weight issue with AP is sometimes not in a person's control at all, but do you try to eat whole wheat instead of "white" pastas and breads, and avoid candy and coke and all that stuff? That can be a hard thing to do, period, but especially hard on depressed people, who crave the lift from refined sugars. On the other hand, the power food can have on our bodies can be pretty awesome, so that might motivate you enough to get through cravings. Some spices (cinammon and cayenne pepper, maybe?) can lower blood sugar, and some minerals can, too, And fiber, too, right? Load up on that. I'm no nutritionist, not even an amateur one. This is just stuff I've learned about as I tried to better my own nutrition and looked into what exactly I was eating. If getting regular exercise and bettering your diet could allow you to stay on Seroquel, wouldn't that be worth it?

I really hope I didn't offend you at all talking about dieting and exercise. I know it can be a touchy subject. I'm by no means telling you to "just" eat better and walk off the blood sugar danger, just wondering if it might be enough to combat it, so that way you can stay on a drug that is good for you.

Archived