CrazyBoards.org

I have terrible anxiety and OCD but i also have weight issues and SSRIs have always made me hungry, I have so many questions, do Lexapro and SSRIs actually slow metabolism or do they just make you hungry? I'm on Adderall and Wellbutrin but i really don't think the Wellbutrin is helping with my anxiety and i feel like i'm about to jump out of my skin, still, i just can't handle the anxiety and stress that goes with gaining weight, is there any alternative to an SSRI for OCD or am i just screwed? Help, please!

I have terrible anxiety and OCD but i also have weight issues and SSRIs have always made me hungry, I have so many questions, do Lexapro and SSRIs actually slow metabolism or do they just make you hungry? I'm on Adderall and Wellbutrin but i really don't think the Wellbutrin is helping with my anxiety and i feel like i'm about to jump out of my skin, still, i just can't handle the anxiety and stress that goes with gaining weight, is there any alternative to an SSRI for OCD or am i just screwed? Help, please!

SSRIs are often the best treatment for OCD, and have the least side effects.

You could try something like seroquel, but in the weight department it is worse than the ssri group.

Have you tried all of the ssris?

Lexapro caused a 30 lb. weight gain for me, and this was with me eating LESS.

But everyone is different. I have many friends on all different types of SSRIs that haven't gained any weight.

I really loved Lexapro, I actually felt like I could handle things in my life again, whereas now, I feel like I'm falling apart again.

[link=http://depression.emedtv.com/lexapro/lexapro-and-weight-gain.html" target="_blank]Here[/link] states that Lexapro only caused weight gain in up to five percent of patients administered to, however if you are that five percent, it still sucks. Another site I went on said that a more tried and tested alternative would be Celexa, so you could mention that to your pdoc.

I do think that, at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself if you want to be crippled by OCD and skinny, or fat and happy. Gaining weight is only stressful if you choose to see it that way. I'm not thrilled about my pot belly, but I only really notice it when I pass a mirror. I don't actively worry about it. There is always a trade off with meds, and the weight one is a common one. You might want to try the med, see if you can tolerate carrying more weight, the wuality of life you have might well be worth it.

I gained 35 pounds on first Zoloft and then Lexapro and I had never had a weight problem in my life, even after kids. I was so happy at first because they helped my anxiety so much and I finally knew what it felt like to be a normal person after 40 years. But then when I started to take the happiness for granted, and I forgot what it was like before I started taking the meds, I got depressed about how fat I was. So I stopped the lexapro, took wellbutrin, and lost 20 pounds. I'm still disgusted about being fat and I'm having a hard time losing the rest.

I'm glad I took the SSRIs because I felt so much better, and I wish I could continue them. But it makes me too sad to be fat.

Sorry, this was probably no help whatsoever.

Goldfinch, you expressed it very well. That's exactly how I felt, the weight gain just counteracted all the good that the Lexapro did. I actually saw a picture of myself after being on it for 2 years and almost started crying. It was hard to recognize myself, I actually had a double chin!

And you are right, the weight didn't just fly off for me after I went off either. I lost maybe 10 pounds, but it looks like the rest is sticking around.

I used to be very thin, and I can accept the fact that I as I get older my body will change, but this was too much. Plus, I couldn't see an end in sight, imagine I had stayed on the meds, I probably would be obese by now!

• 3 weeks later...

I did put on like 25 pounds while on lexapro before I started exercising, but then, if you eat and don't exercise your going to gain weight anyway unless you eat next to nothing or are just really lucky metabolism-wise. If lexapro helps you, why not get the benefit of an AD that works (which is pretty rare to begin with), commit yourself to a personalized exercise routine that makes you naturally feel even better, and on top of that get a more fit body which you can be confident about that only comes from exercise? Oh, and of course then theres the fact that you will then be able to eat alot more fatty, delicious foods without worrying so much about letting those calories sit there and turn to fat because they will be used as fuel for your next workout. Also you will live longer and be healthier while your alive.

There are many, many forms of good exercise and after the first couple of days (which usually do pretty much suck) you will start to become 'addicted' to the high you get from exercise. Try combining it with your best 'pump me up' songs on your i pod or whatever for even more fun. The high you get as well as the results you will see in terms of how you feel and look are very motivating for me. Ironically the only time I really cant latch onto and appreciate the high or the physical results I see from exercise are when i'm depressed and anxioius, which lexapro helps to alleviate somewhat.

I did put on like 25 pounds while on lexapro before I started exercising, but then, if you eat and don't exercise your going to gain weight anyway unless you eat next to nothing or are just really lucky metabolism-wise.

Very true. Look around at slim people and what they eat. Most of them don't eat crap and they exercise. They are thin for a reason. UNLESS they are lucky with metabolism.

Archived