CrazyBoards.org

hypnosis for depression

Hi, I'm new to this site and i've just been reading the posts and learning a lot from them. I have suffer from depression my whole life and have been treated for the past 2 years (since i was 15). I've been hospitalised 3 times after suicide attemps, last year for 3 months and this year i have been an impatient since april and i am still an impatient. I struggle a lot with self harm and this is were my question come into place... My doctor, the nurses andconcellors at the hospital are convinced that i've suffered some sort of trauma like abuse or i witnessed something traumatic, but honestly i havn't and my life has pretty much been perfect (outside of the depression, suicidal ideation and self injury witch you all know is anything but perfect) and i don't belive i have suffered any trauma. Through all my times with my tdocs, and other therapists i have never been able to identify anything wrong and still i continue to suffer. I know that some people repress things that they have experianced and i'm starting to wonder... can they use hypnosis fop depression? I did a bit of reserch but didn't find out much... or if theres any other suggestions i'd be happy for advice. I also am starting DBT soon so that may be helpful to me too.

Thanks

ACT

You would struggle to find a professional hypnotist to treat you, hypnosis is usually not advised for depression at all. The stuff about recovering repressed memories is very dubious as well, I've not seen much to support it's efficiacy.

I suspect DBT would help you better.

I have been in a similar place to you, and didn't have any trauma or abuse stuff in my past. It was only through a year of therapy that I came to see my childhood as neglectful, not in a 'locked in the cellar and beaten' way, but in the way that my parents manipulated and hurt me. Sometimes we change our perspective on what we know.

My current therapist does hypnosis. It isn't the whole "wave the watch, snap the fingers, go to sleep, wake up and you're cured thing". Right now it's basically like guided meditation to deal with my anxiety issues through getting into a trance-like state of relaxation. This is actually working to some extent. My therapist tells me that after a point we could use this to take on some of the core issues that I've been semi-consciously repressing. I.e. I allow myself to lower my guard enough to actually deal with them but not so much that I'm overwhelmed. (Not being able to find the balance is implicitly what's been leading me to repress in the first place.)

So maybe hypnotherapy might help if you are aware of something that you're repressing. I suppose that, in principle, the guided meditation could be used as a discovery tool, but (in my opinion) conventional therapy is a lot more likely to help you find out what that is. So I'd stick with with that, or DBT for behavior/ideational change.

Best,

cache-monkey

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, "Listen to Karuna."

(I'm not following you around, K. Honest! ;)

(I'm really just reading through posts and trying to keep myself from going to bed early again and spending 14 hours in bed!)

I've had a lot of issues with depression that I blame on "my memory thing". (I have none! Not gaps and stuff, just no ability to tie things together and recall them in such a way as to survive anything but low level work or academics/ Can't remember books I've read etc.

Anyway, at some point I latched onto "ADD" - or maybe some kind of head trauma when I was a kid etc. (That may still be something, but no real historical evidence.)

And meds have never really helped depression or "ADD".

And now my new therapist (seen her for 1+ years) is telling me she doesn't think I have ADD - in spite of fitting 80-90 % of Dx. She thinks it's "trauma" (or words to that effect. Thinks closer to PTSD than ADD) And, to my objections about not remembering any serious harm etc. etc. she says same as Karuna!

So I don't know how this direction will turn out, "Not remembering" is a great way to sabotage almost anything! I think I must have been fucking brilliant to come up with that as a defense if that's what it is!

So. Karuna's in good company - with a therapist I like and respect (As I find I do Karuna). So heed her post on hypnosis and recovered memories and all the rest.

Archived