CrazyBoards.org

good morning! time to take your meds! :-D

hi.

it's been a while since I started a post on my own, but I've been mood charting on moodtracker.com (for depression, am not bp) and I just looked at my chart for about a half-month and think I see a trend:

• when I take my meds later in the day (ex: wait until 3-6pm instead of taking them at 8:30am like a good girl) I have such bad depression days (want to stay asleep and not face the world, no motivation to live or interact with anyone, hole up in my room). I've been *great* (best I felt in years) the past few weeks except the days that I take the meds later on.

is it possible that just a few hours could make *that* much of a difference in my overall mood?

(even if they are things that are supposed to be longer acting, like zoloft, wellbutrin and lamictal?)

anybody else notice things like this with any of their meds?

I know I need to be good with the timing, but I feel like I've been sabotaging myself by not taking them sometimes and not picking up refills. I've been feeling so good, why do this? arrgh.

any input is so so so appreciated.

meg

Meg, the time of day you take your pills can make a huge difference. And meds that are taken every 24 hours should be taken at that interval.

It's a really hard thing for some people to do, but establishing a regular routine is an important part of treating depression. (in my opinion.)

If you start your day with some kind of breakfast----anything--a piece of toast, or a smoothie, or a yogurt---and take your pills then, it will help you stay out of the Black Pit.

I'm sure other people will weigh in with their experiences.

olga

I don't know if this is the sort of thing you're asking about, but I notice that Lamictal makes it harder for me to stay asleep if I take it later in the day, and by that I mean noon or thereabouts. I'm trying to get back to taking it at 8:30ish. I thought it was adding to my daytime grogginess, so I was going to work my way toward an evening dose, but that's not going to work.

As for my other meds, I take Neurontin three times a day, but sometimes I forget the afternoon dose. I haven't figured out if that has much of an effect, though. The other meds are PRN.

It depends on the med and how long you've been on it.

Are certain meds known for this, and/or could it be different depending on how long you've been taking it?

I hadn't really noticed this until these past few weeks (but then again, I wasn't mood charting so can't be sure)--I'm in my 5th week of lamictal now (up to 50mg). Zoloft has been 10months or so and Wellbutrin I've been on for 1 1/2years.

I guess the way to find out is to just be super good with taking them at the same time and see if my mood stays consistant?

From Olga and Nomi it sounds like it very well could be the late med taking, guess I just gotta wait and see? thanks

hi.

it's been a while since I started a post on my own, but I've been mood charting on moodtracker.com (for depression, am not bp) and I just looked at my chart for about a half-month and think I see a trend:

• when I take my meds later in the day (ex: wait until 3-6pm instead of taking them at 8:30am like a good girl) I have such bad depression days (want to stay asleep and not face the world, no motivation to live or interact with anyone, hole up in my room). I've been *great* (best I felt in years) the past few weeks except the days that I take the meds later on.

is it possible that just a few hours could make *that* much of a difference in my overall mood?

(even if they are things that are supposed to be longer acting, like zoloft, wellbutrin and lamictal?)

anybody else notice things like this with any of their meds?

I know I need to be good with the timing, but I feel like I've been sabotaging myself by not taking them sometimes and not picking up refills. I've been feeling so good, why do this? arrgh.

any input is so so so appreciated.

meg

I have had the same experience you describe. I would definitely try to stick to taking them at the same time each day. I take them as soon as I wake up and I'm so adamant about sticking to this that I won't even allow myself to go to the bathroom or do anything else until I take them. I also have a history of screwing myself up because I would not pick up refills, forget taking them altogether for long periods of time, etc and I just hated myself for it. I'm finally in a place now where I feel like I've got my whole med situation under control where I take them when I'm supposed to and I'm really determined to never, ever get lazy about getting them from the pharmacy and taking him ever again. It's a pretty good feeling actually -- feeling like you've got a grasp on your MI and your meds.

I'm finally in a place now where I feel like I've got my whole med situation under control where I take them when I'm supposed to and I'm really determined to never, ever get lazy about getting them from the pharmacy and taking him ever again. It's a pretty good feeling actually -- feeling like you've got a grasp on your MI and your meds.

thank you. that's the point that I need to get to-- I think maybe I'm so used to being depressed or screwed up from side effects or med changes that I sabotage myself when I get too stable. It's SO SO WEIRD to be happy and content and be able to handle things and care about my life and the people in it again. It's such a forign feeling!

I need to get over it already-- time to kick myself in the butt all the way to the pharmacy and like you said, feel like I've finally got a grasp on this whole thing.

why is it so scary to not have depression to hide behind anymore? it's been so long. man.

time to figure it out, huh?

meg

It definitely makes a difference for me. I can tell by midmorning if I haven't taken my Lamictal and Effexor. I can't take any Seroquel in the morning because I can't stay awake, even if I'm taking high doses. I can't take Effexor XR because of my gastric bypass. Seroquel and Lamictal aren't absorbed as well as they were when I had intact digestion. So, I've adapted. More Seroquel, more Lamictal, effexor immediate release twice a day. And being religious and OCD about when and how I take my meds.

I have my morning and evening routine. I'm actually getting up at the same time every weekday--6a and on the weekend--7a . I'm also trying to go to bed at a regular time--10ish. Good sleep hygiene I think it's called. Anything to help my mood--I'm desperate.

So I get up in the am and take most of my meds and vitamins, sit in front of my light box, have my coffee and breakfast. Then I take my Geodon because I need to take it with food. In the evening, I try to eat by 7p and again take my Geodon. Then I take my evening meds and vitamins around 8 or 8:30p. So around 10p, I go to be and take my thyroid medication on hopefully a mostly empty stomach. What a regiment. I can't believe how many meds I take. ;) It's so pathetic that my life revolves around my meds.

I think just the routine is good for me not to mention the consistency with the meds. I've noticed a problem (a really funky feeling) if I miss or am late with the Geodon. And if I miss my provigil in the am, I'm foggy and slow during the day. Occasionally, I do miss a pick up at the pharmacy, but not too often.

Oreo

Yes.

Again, yes, even with things like Wellbutrin. Stabilizing blood levels requires that the body has the right enzymes ready at the right times to work with the medications getting absorbed and coming on line. That's a whole lot easier when you take your meds at consistent times.

For the meds with short half-lives (e.g. Adderall) or over-sedating/activating effects, timing may not be everything, but it's close enough.

Hi Meg,

PRIOR to zoloft - i had my evening & morning med routine worked out for more than a year. it was nice that I am on ssdi & moved back in with the parents - because it literally gave me the freedom to figure out this stuff.

now on the zoloft - like we've talked about...ive been taking it the morning. i tried evening and it just didnt *feel* the same as when i take it in the morning.

as for waking up to take my meds...at first i really had to set my mind on waking up to take my pills. but it worked. and now i have a baby alarm...she wakes me in the morning!! although there are a few instances where i woke up before she did....

as for "setting my mind" its something i started teaching myself when i was in college. i DO NOT depend on my mind to wake me up at a certain time if i have an appointment, meeting, etc....i have to use an alarm. but i do repeat to myself certain things. and that would probably be best explained on another thread.

as for those refills - GET THEE TO A PHARMACY!!! ive gone down that road and its bad bad bad. i do not have the ability to handle the "90 day mail thing" a lot of health plans like. so, i get my meds monthly. i try for pick-up all at the same time, too.

xoxo,

december

Yes, timing seems to make a difference to me as well. Right now I'm on 450 mg of Wellbutrin and a lot of vitamins, and the only way I can seem to keep it together is with one of those pill box daily-dose things that you can get for around $5.00 at the drugstore. Mine is for a week's worth and has four compartments for each day. I ended up getting two of them so I could put two weeks together at a time.

It's a bit of a pain to fill it, but once you're done, you don't have to fiddle with all those bottles for another week or two. Also, it gives you a head start on figuring out when you're going to run out of something. Hope you can get yourself on a regular routine, it really does help a lot.

• 1 month later...

I take my uppers in the morning and downers at night.

If you take Prozac at night, you may not get much benefit as serotonin will turn into melatonin triggered by lack of daylight. Also, your body can get used to increased melatonin, and if you quit, you can have problems sleeping.

yes, morning time, time for good old meds!

i really feel it if i don't take them at the same time every day. i take them at 10am. when 10am hits, there i am with my various bottles. i don't use a pill organizer, but i probably should. i eyeball how much i have left in the bottles.

that doesn't stop me from running out and having gaps here and there for a couple of days sometimes. now i keep samples on hand in case i run out. it's just me to think "oh, later", and then run out.

i ran out of Adderall and didn't realize that my patient assistance needed to be renewed, so i didn't have it for awhile. i don't remember how long it was. now i have it again and realize what a great thing it is.

the sad thing is that the ladies in the pharmacy are on a first name basis with me.

Hi:

I am pretty good at staying at least near the same time every day when taking the meds.

Right off the bat I take Nardil and Colace around noon

About an hour before I eat dinner I take Nardil again as I want it to settle before I eat

At bedtime I jump in the shower to get my body to relax then I take Nardil, Seroquel, Temazapam and Colace. About half an hour later I am in bed, ten minutes later asleep usually by 2am

The one that differs is the afternoon dose of Seroquel which floats somewhere between 3pm and 6pm depending on how my day is going. The issue is to delay it as much as possible so it will cover the majority of the evening but some days I need to use it to prevent reaching a manic state. Good days I take it with the second dose of Nardil.

take care

trg247

Archived