CrazyBoards.org

Tdoc closing practice

My tdoc is closing her practice at the end of the year and will just be working with patients at the hospital. This is mostly because of the shortage of reasonable office space for someone who will use it only once a week. She works at the hospital every day but Friday. I think that is the only way she can afford to be a therapist. She is going to give me a referal to someone else and I trust that it will be someone good. The thing is that I've been with her for 5 years and it will be hell starting over from the beginning.

Tommy

Her Tommy,

That is sad news, a relationship with a tdoc is a precious thing, and it's stressful to contemplate it ending, even if you will get a new one. You're right, it is a new start, although don't assume that you won't gel with this new tdoc and you will have to start the therapy over.

Do you have any time to process this in sessions with your current tdoc before the closure?

My tdoc is closing her practice at the end of the year and will just be working with patients at the hospital. This is mostly because of the shortage of reasonable office space for someone who will use it only once a week. She works at the hospital every day but Friday. I think that is the only way she can afford to be a therapist. She is going to give me a referal to someone else and I trust that it will be someone good. The thing is that I've been with her for 5 years and it will be hell starting over from the beginning.

Tommy

That is sad for you, and probably for her too. But if you've been working with her for 5 years you've probably made a lot of progress and can look back at those years with pride and happiness at what you've accomplished. And when you start with a new tdoc you'll be in a different place than when you started with the first tdoc. You might find yourself surprised by a fresh outlook and perhaps a different approach, and hopefully you'll also make great progress with the new tdoc.

Tommy

I'm sorry to hear that, Tommy. I hope you find as good a rapport with your new tdoc as you've had with your current one.

Thanks, everyone,

I'm sure she will get me with someone good and I hadn't thought about the fact that we've already processed a lot of stuff so I won't be starting from scratch again. I guess a big part of it will be the missing my current therapist; she's been a very important part of my life for so long.

They're also changing the insurance at work. All the choices will be PPO's, so I will have to get a tdoc that's in the network (if they even cover therapy in the new insurance). They still haven't been able to tell us anything about the prescription plan we'll be under. Our personnel folk have a meeting in about a week where they, hopefully, will learn what is up (and I can stop bugging them ;) ).

Tommy

Archived