CrazyBoards.org

What's the med that helps people who perform in public?

Not sure if this is the right forum...for years I have heard about a medication that performers can take that helps with the performance anxiety- I mean not just the normal "going on stage" jitters but the kind of anxiety that makes people vomit before they go out on stage and whatnot. It's not something that people take on a regualr basis, and I've heard that it just kindof helps you let go of you inhibitions (and no, I'm not tlaking about a beer or 3! ;) )

Does anyone have any idea what drug I am talking about? Thanks a lot!

I get severe anxiety to public speaking - even stuff like classes at university and dinner parties. Not found anything to help. "Borrowed" some of my dad's propanolol and a small dose just sent me to sleep. Can't imagine even wanting to bother with public speaking on it. A friend took a smaller dose to get through a medical where his heart rate would be monitored (he suffers from stress-induced raises in heart rate) and he said he didn't feel safe driving over.

What type of performance do you do?

I don't know if beta blockers make you any less inhibited. They are used to prevent physical symptoms of nervousness, like shakiness.

My pdoc mentioned Inderal when I asked him about beta blockers, but he said it can make you sleepy. I decided I didn't need them. I prefer to do relaxation exercises, physical warm up exercises, and channel the nervous energy into the performance.

• 3 weeks later...

I get panicky when public speaking (shaky, hyperventilating, heart racing, etc.) and I often have to give presentations and conduct training sessions at work. What works best for me is a combination of propranolol (beta blocker) and xanax. My docs instructions were to take 20mg of propranolol and 0.25mg xanax the morning of the event, and if I know it's going to be a long presentation, like an hour or more, I can take another 0.25mg xanax immediately before I start just to make sure it doesn't wear off before I'm finished. For me, that combination does an excellent job of killing the panic reaction. It doesn't do anything to reduce my inhibitions (and I'm glad). I still get nervous, but I don't have to worry about my voice shaking or not being able to catch my breath, and not having to worry about being anxious goes a long way towards reducing the anxiety in general (if that makes any sense).

My understanding is most "normal" people get nervous when speaking in public. It's just that "fight or flight" panic, which would include vomiting (the body getting rid of extra weight to prepare for running away), that's not normal.

Propranolol doesn't make me tired like clonidine (alpha blocker - I think) did, and xanax doesn't make me tired like valium did, which just goes to show how everyone reacts differently. I have high blood pressure anyway, though. I could see propranolol not being good for someone with normal bp.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if this is the right forum...for years I have heard about a medication that performers can take that helps with the performance anxiety- I mean not just the normal "going on stage" jitters but the kind of anxiety that makes people vomit before they go out on stage and whatnot. It's not something that people take on a regualr basis, and I've heard that it just kindof helps you let go of you inhibitions (and no, I'm not tlaking about a beer or 3! :D )

Does anyone have any idea what drug I am talking about? Thanks a lot!

Archived