CrazyBoards.org

emigrant from another board that closed. I've been on topamax for over 1.5 years now. suffering a few side effects over this time, but I've finally got a nice cocktail of drugs, vitamins and supplements that seem to be working. only problem seems to be weight loss with the topa, but I'm forcing myself to eat to stabilize that. Topamax is really doing well for my migraines, but has made me a skosh more cranky, thus requiring the prozac. Okay, I might have needed it before, but the topa made it undeniable. did an evil number on the poor produce guy at whole foods in los angeles and, well, had a "chat" with my doc, who agreed i might need "a little something" to control the "irritability" from topa.

anyway, the drug cocktail has given me my life back, and for the first time in 10 years I was able to have more than 2 days in a row headache free. gotta love that ;) . good thing too, since my toddler seems to think that mom's head is indestructible.

we recently moved from CA to CO, and now trying to stay hydrated. really hard...

need a board like this to help me out with the drug side effects, interactions and just weirdness of pharmaceuticals.

looking forward to meeting you all.

Hi Lisa,

I'm an immigrant as well. I've been depressed most of my life. Had migraines most of it, too. I've been on ADs for years, but on Topa for only a few months. It's actually helped even out my moods, so now my pdoc is wondering if I may be wandering into the BP arena. Days without migraines are great, though I still get some breakthrough. I live in South Texas and we have year round allergens and there is no telling what may blow in and trigger one. Weight loss has been a big problem for me as well. I was already losing on the Wellbutrin, then it really ramped up with the Topa. I had to see a nutritionist recently because I'm dropping out of the "normal" range.

Anyway, glad we are finding our way here.

thanks for the warm welcome.

the sca is really for two things, S for my last name and CA for California. still haven't adapted to the recent move to CO, lol. I kept my old name from my other board, just cuz I couldn't decide on another name.

hey rachel, I recognize you from the other board ;) . nice to see familiar faces. I'm also going to see a dietician/nutritionist. amazing drug,this topamax, but those side effects, whew!

I see you Lisa! :cussing:

I didn't know you moved to CO. You should adjust to the mile-high air pretty soon.

(I'll bet that guy at Whole Foods is probably wondering where you disappeared to... :) )

I think word has gotten around whole foods-the produce guy here looks at me kinda funny...

moved here this May. lots of fun. it's supposed to snow tomorrow. look on the news for freaked out Californians running thru the streets screaming "the sky is falling!!!!" that will me my family.

nice to see all of you too, though the clown pic is a tad scary ;) .

moved here this May. lots of fun. it's supposed to snow tomorrow. look on the news for freaked out Californians running thru the streets screaming "the sky is falling!!!!" that will me my family.

LOL. That's funny. They were doing that here in CA last week........ It rained. Pretty sure it wasn't your family, though.

~ Another refuge.

Speaking of Whole Foods, I was in there looking for a high calorie/protein shake mix for times when I just can't face solid food. The vitamin chick recommended a soy/hemp shake. I don't know why hemp is being added to everything now, but I recommend you stay away from it. My nutritionist recommended Boost plus because it has the most calories and protein (I can only handle the vanilla). The downside is that it can make you feel full longer and you may not eat the solids you need.

If we continue this should we move it to weight issues or start a thread under anti-convulsants/Topamax side-effects?

I see you Lisa! :cussing:

I didn't know you moved to CO. You should adjust to the mile-high air pretty soon.

(I'll bet that guy at Whole Foods is probably wondering where you disappeared to... :) )

I think word has gotten around whole foods-the produce guy here looks at me kinda funny...

nice to see all of you too, though the clown pic is a tad scary ;) .

I took a buisness trip to Colorado Springs about 6 1/2 years ago and the guy I was meeting said, "Don't worry, it's in the 60's. Just pack a light jacket and you'll be fine."

Well, the last morning I was there I woke up and looked outside the window and I thought I had been transported to Siberia overnight. I went down to checkout, and the lady at the hotel front desk said, "Honey, where do you think you're going? The airport's closed!"

I was stuck there for two more days with no winter clothing. The sky really does fall in Colorado...

Speaking of Whole Foods, I was in there looking for a high calorie/protein shake mix for times when I just can't face solid food. The vitamin chick recommended a soy/hemp shake. I don't know why hemp is being added to everything now, but I recommend you stay away from it. My nutritionist recommended Boost plus because it has the most calories and protein (I can only handle the vanilla). The downside is that it can make you feel full longer and you may not eat the solids you need.

If we continue this should we move it to weight issues or start a thread under anti-convulsants/Topamax side-effects?

we should start a thread under the anticonvulsants or the weight issues. I'd love to discuss this with someone else trying to maintain weight. crazy isn't it?

the weather here is just insane. yesterday it was 79, today it was in the mid 30s, then tomorrow it will be 50s and by wednesday it will be back to the 70s. we were out at 8:30 this morning because my 3 year old was too excited about the falling snow (her first) and just had to see it. then we called everyone we knew so she could tell them "it's snowing!" Not a problem for those on the east coast, but not so exciting for those in CA, lol. guess it was a tad bit early on a sunday. looks like we had about 3 inches. totally cool.

I've only been here a few months but I've learned never, ever come to colorado without your entire wardrobe. weather changes on a dime here and the weather channel is about 80% wrong, even the same day predictions. I'm freaking out about using the airport, or worse yet, my husband traveling. hard to explain to my daughter, who thinks the sun rises and sets with dad, that the airport is closed or dad is snowed in somewhere. much easier when we lived in Los angeles, lol. burbank airport was a breeze...

Lisa,

There is a thread in the anti-convulsants page regarding topa and rapid weight loss that was just started. I think that's most appropriate since I don't think we really have eating disorders, just med induced appetite and weight loss/aversion to solid food (at least I do). I'm going to post over there about this and maybe we can share some more strategies. I see my pdoc today and he's started requiring a weight check every week. Since it just turned cold here today (San Antonio, TX - it should only reach 65!), I might try wearing a sweater and heavy boots or something. I'm just kidding. I am totally honest with him.

Speaking of weather Lisa, those damn winds have created a lot of fires here in So Cal. The smoke is just everywhere. Consider yourself lucky you're up in the crystal clear air right now.

*cough cough*

Lisa, the airports really do fly more often than one would think, considering the weather. My father is constantly on business trips and has had very few issues with flights being cancelled. Most of our snow is fairly light. Not like the east coast with its wet snows.

Just wait til you finally realize that rain and snow can come in "dry" varieties.

I'm flying to Ohio on Friday and I'm pretty sure I'll be making it between storms. DIA is a crazy place. *grins*

Abigail

Archived