CrazyBoards.org

Hi all,

I tried searching the boards, but I haven't found a whole lot of people (other than VE) discussing Strattera. I'm wondering, in particular how it might be expected to affect someone who's anxiety prone (mental and physical), dysthymic, has seasonal affective disorder, and probably Bipolar 2.75 ...

Ok, maybe that's too specific. Let's focus on the (increase in focus/mood) vs. (increase in anxiety) ratio, as compared to, say, Wellbutrin.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

~cache-monkey

Since any effect it has on DA is indirect, the potential for increased anxiety is a lot less than with Wellbutrin.

As far as my ADD symptoms go, I've found it a lot more handy for the executive functioning side of things than for pure attention where stimulants still rule the roost. It's helped a lot with procrastination and actually making the leap of committing to a task.

Side effects can be a pain in the ass. Literally. I'm talking the worst constipation I've ever had in my life. Eat bran flakes by the box. Also look out for lowered blood pressure. For a while it made me as horny as all hell but also caused painful ejaculation. That was cruel but it passed.

I've been taking Strattera for a couple of weeks now. So far it's less anxiety-provoking than Wellbutrin and definitely helps with the dysthymia. Actually, I have felt really good lately, not "manic" good, just good.

I have not really noticed any change in ADD symptoms, other than feeling a lot more calm which helps a little in the concentration area. I haven't had any relief in the indecisive/unmotivated symptoms but I'll give it a few more weeks.

Not so much as a fart for me. A real bummer, since I can't get much in the way of ADD meds ovah heah.

Whoa VE, sorry to hear about all those down-south problems. I'm on Effexor, so Mr. Libido has run off with Mr. Executive Function. I believe they're headed down Mexico way.

lily

It's been exactly a year since I tried Strattera... We were testing it's antidepressant qualities more than ADD (my new pdoc doesn't think I have ADD since taking adderall is like coke for me which is fine, but damn it why not ritalin??? I am taking so much freakin caffeine in various forms and it sucks) but it definitely affected me quickly. They all seem to.

For a week or so, I was waking up early as hell. It was actually awesome, because I normally feel dead to the world if I'm up before 8:30. There was a Saturday when I was sleeping over at my boyfriend's and once 6am hit I was wide awake and ready to roll. He gets up at 6 every day so of course he wanted to sleep in, but he took me down to Miami to the International Auto Show thing. Which would have been even better had Strattera not started making me feel anger much faster.

It helped with ADD, and in that it distracted me from the anti-depression stuff, but within two weeks I stopped taking it because I was like the most raging bitch ever.

That's about all I remember. I've been in the depression side of BPD for about 9 months and my memory is shit. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Straterra was terrible for me. It turned me into a weepy, reactive, dysphorically hypomanic freak. If I'd been on a mood stabilizer at the time, it might have been different, but this was before I'd gotten a proper diagnosis, back when I was supposed to be "just" depressed.

I went from just below baseline - pessimistic, scattered, and incapable of finding my keys - to vicious and manic. But productive and focused, for a while, more so than usual. I generally start a lot of projects at once and work on them. This time I just drilled on in on one or two things, for 20 hours a day.

That would have been my chance to become an evil criminal mastermind, and I missed the window.

That was at 18 mg.

With a lithium SL of 1.0.

NE drugs aren't my friend. You show me 4-5 times, I get it.

So who here got the constipation that VE mentions? From the sounds of it, it seems like Strattera has a decent anti-depression/motivation effect. Very interesting.

Anyone been on both Strattera AND a stimulant??

Yes. According to my pdoc it's often only useful as an adjunct to a stimulant. My gf is on it plus methyphenidate, Provigil and desipramine, but she has both ADD and narcolepsy in addition to dysthymia.

Neither of us have found it to do squat as an AD and we've both taken up to 120mgs. Executive functioning, the area where it can help the most, is a bit different from motivation. The wikipedia definition isn't the best but I don't feel like finding a better one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_functioning

In neuropsychology and cognitive psychology, executive functioning is the mental capacity to control and purposefully apply one's own mental skills. Different executive functions may include: the ability to sustain or flexibly redirect attention, the inhibition of inappropriate behavioral or emotional responses, the planning of strategies for future behavior, the initiation and execution of these strategies, and the ability to flexibly switch among problem-solving strategies. Current research evidence suggests that executive functioning in the human brain is mediated by the prefrontal lobes of the cerebral cortex.

So who here got the constipation that VE mentions? From the sounds of it, it seems like Strattera has a decent anti-depression/motivation effect. Very interesting.

Anyone been on both Strattera AND a stimulant??

Yes. According to my pdoc it's often only useful as an adjunct to a stimulant. My gf is on it plus methyphenidate, Provigil and desipramine, but she has both ADD and narcolepsy in addition to dysthymia.

Neither of us have found it to do squat as an AD and we've both taken up to 120mgs. Executive functioning, the area where it can help the most, is a bit different from motivation. The wikipedia definition isn't the best but I don't feel like finding a better one.

Thanks for the clarification. I have a tendency to get a boost in higher functioning when my motivation improves.. or at least I seem to; so I thought the two went hand-in-hand. Still seems like a good med to take even without an AD effect. The Provigil piques my interest too, what with the combined effects of depression and hypothyroidism. Do you know if it can be taken prn?

Archived