CrazyBoards.org

Metadate CD

Cetkat

I've been on this med for about a month and a half now for concentration so bad that I lose focus on a thought halfway through thinking it. I started at 10mg once a day.. then quickly realized I needed more and it was pooping out after around 8 hrs. So I took 10mg twice a day. Went back to the pdoc after three weeks and an empty bottle and got the dose raised to 20mg. The higher dose is working much better, though I still feel not quite there. The med still stops working later in the day.

I already know I want to try the 30mg next time I get my script (the increase is already planned). But I'm worried about the fact that it stops working while I still need it. I tried taking the 20mg twice a day, and it was a little too much for me - but could be right in the long run since I feel wired the first day of an increase, but then things even out.

The other big thing is that I'm getting this med for free with a coupon. I get one free 30ct bottle for each dose. (Which is why I went from 10-20 instead of 10-30). So, basically, I'm wondering if it might be possible & be a good idea to get my 30mg bottle; yet, split the dose between morning and afternoon?

I've thought about perhaps mixing it with applesauce and taking most of it in the morning, but leaving a little back to take when it wears off. I know it would be like staying at the 20mg dose.. but I think the benefit of it not completely fading would be worth it.

So.. One, can you split the medication this way? And.. Two, do you have any other ideas for what I could do to get this effect within the confines of the pharmacy stuff?

• 2 weeks later...

Why wouldn't they?

If your doc writes the script it's not their place to question it.

Well, I just figured that if it's the same medication.. they might see it as filling something twice. I'll give it a try when I get the chance.

Why wouldn't they?

If your doc writes the script it's not their place to question it.

With all respect, it is exactly the RPh's place to question it, if there's any concern about safety. (If there are concerns re: multisourcing or diversion of controlled substances, the pharmacist also has an obligation to notify as appropriate.) In a case like this, it's not a big huge deal, because it's not a great whacking dose with safety implications.

Having just seen a situation involving a rx for a dangeously high dose of Dilantin that was written by a covering MD unfamiliar with the drug, and that was caught by a pharmacist, I'm very happy that the RPh did question it.

Cetkat, if you're concerned re: static from your pharmacy, your psychiatrist can simply write "Change of therapy from Metadate CD" on any new rx. Not a big deal.

Archived