CrazyBoards.org

Ok my meds I take Strattera 10mg and Inderal 40mgX3 every day but I didn't take them last friday because I was planning to drink and go clubbing. I ended up drinking a few, taking 3x0.25mg Xanax that my friend gave me and also a 1mg Xanax a drug dealer gave me for free. I bought an E and took it but I didn't feel anything. I actually wasn't that wasted even after all of that. I'm wondering if it's just that the alcohol and xanax counteracted the ecstasy or if Strattera or Inderal could be stopping it from working?

Edit: Sorry if this is confusing, I haven't had my meds today my heads fucked up.

Well that is alot of different chemical reactions going on in your brain, and I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, to pinpoint one cause or variable in the equation.

That being said...and I am by no means judging because I've done my fair share of ecstacy...but that stuff REALLY makes me more depressed afterwards...it is like draining out your serotonin.

I smoke pot every day, so I am not here to tell you what not to do...but I do think that combining benzos with alcohol when one is depressed is only going to increase the depression.

Hope your brain feels better today!

Uh, not to step on any toes here, but if you are taking brain meds, don't you think that drinking and taking E kind of undermines the process? And the reason you take brain drugs every day is to keep a certain serum level present. Taking a "day off" so you can go get wasted is usually just a waste of time and money.

Plus, mixing booze and benzos is very dangerous. In certain instances it can kill you.

Not trying to sound preachy, as I've been there myself, but, really...whats the point? Are you trying to get better or worse?

I've given up on all that psych med bullshit. They never really worked for me. I just want to have fun. It seems like it's the only way to enjoy my life. It's not like I do drugs often it's just occasionally when I'm clubbing.

I think the most reasonable conclusion is the E was bunk.

There is reliable help for depression often with the right combination of meds and therapy. However, it takes effort and willingness to change. Using powerful drugs to cop a buzz really just defeats the whole process. I know one night of partying would send me into a week long depression where I just wanted to use more drugs.

Edit: spelling

Yet there are those of us who are unaffected like that so I dont think we need to bash on someone for their individual choice. I know from personal experience that E never made me depressed afterwards. In fact I felt refreshed the next day and suffered no ill effects from it. Each of us is unique, if you have a negative reaction then chose not to use. But dont tell someone else not because it doesnt work for you.

But dont tell someone else not because it doesnt work for you.

Flip side: we're here to help people not use. Using is detrimental to mental health, and to recovery. Which is kinda what we're about. If someone's brain somehow doesn't get blended, well, great. I'd rather they not lead on someone else into thinking they'll be OK though. In fact I might get a bit stompy.

Yet there are those of us who are unaffected like that so I dont think we need to bash on someone for their individual choice. I know from personal experience that E never made me depressed afterwards. In fact I felt refreshed the next day and suffered no ill effects from it. Each of us is unique, if you have a negative reaction then chose not to use. But dont tell someone else not because it doesnt work for you.

Yeah, that's not going to get a favorable response around here.

First of all, no one here is bashing anyone, and secondly, the point of this board is to talk about ways NOT to use. When someone comes on here and asks why their E didn't work, they should expect a few negative responses. Please re-read the purpose of this fora.

And yeah, watch out for stompy.

Maceo, how is life right now? Last time we spoke you were feeling lonely and pretty despondent. You wanna talk?

I'm a lot better actually. I've been out having fun with friends a lot so I'm not so depressed. Still have ups and downs. I think my anxiety has been cured just by going out so much..

MDNA is a serotonin agonist. Inderal is a serotonin antagonist.

That's why it didn't work. They negated each other.

SZS

Where did you get that idea?

Propranolol is a nonselective beta-adrenergic receptor blocking agent possessing no other autonomic nervous system activity. It specifically competes with beta-adrenergic receptor agonist agents for available receptor sites. When access to beta-receptor sites is blocked by propranolol, the chronotropic, inotropic, and vasodilator responses to beta-adrenergic stimulation are decreased proportionately. At dosages greater than required for beta blockade, propranolol also exerts a quinidine-like or anesthetic-like membrane action, which affects the cardiac action potential. The significance of the membrane action in the treatment of arrhythmias is uncertain.

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/propran_cp.htm

lots of MDMA pharmacology info here:

http://www.neurotransmitter.net/mdma.html

I'd have guessed the gabbergic action of the xanax had more to do with it . Or, as someone said, it was bunk E.

MDNA is a serotonin agonist. Inderal is a serotonin antagonist.

That's why it didn't work. They negated each other.

SZS

Where did you get that idea?

Propranolol is a nonselective beta-adrenergic receptor blocking agent possessing no other autonomic nervous system activity. It specifically competes with beta-adrenergic receptor agonist agents for available receptor sites. When access to beta-receptor sites is blocked by propranolol, the chronotropic, inotropic, and vasodilator responses to beta-adrenergic stimulation are decreased proportionately. At dosages greater than required for beta blockade, propranolol also exerts a quinidine-like or anesthetic-like membrane action, which affects the cardiac action potential. The significance of the membrane action in the treatment of arrhythmias is uncertain.

Straight from the data sheet I see. Only problem with that is most manufacturers don't update them.

Here is an article on serotonin syndrome which is common in MDNA overdose.

Drug Category: Serotonin antagonists -- Serotonin antagonists (eg, cyproheptadine, chlorpromazine, methysergide) have been used successfully in isolated cases of SS. Most of the available information is derived from case reports. Further studies are needed before their general use can be recommended.

Cyproheptadine, an antihistamine with antiserotonergic properties, has been shown in animal studies and case reports to reduce the symptoms of SS. Chlorpromazine has been used effectively in some case reports, but NMS must be ruled out before its use. Chlorpromazine may potentiate seizures by lowering the seizure threshold. Propranolol has mild serotonin antagonist properties.

Another article on serotonin antagonist in treating AP induced akathesia-

The comparable efficacy and better tolerability of low-dose mirtazapine versus propranolol, the current first-line treatment for AIA, position mirtazapine as a favorable candidate for the treatment of acute AIA and may improve current therapeutic practices.

SZS

There are certainly too many variables to really know. But, yes, b-blockers do block at least some effects of MDMA.

Sorry to cite rat studies, but Institutional Review Boards are sort of pesky about these things on humans.

This study found diminished locomotor activity in rats with propranolol coadministration; propranolol was not the "study drug" but were used as one of the groups. It's a fairly interesting article.

Here's a fair review on the pharmacology, with lots of interesting refs.

I don't feel the need to belabor the point, so I'll shut up about that.

It may be a bad idea to mix the two, or it may not; if you give a b-blocker with an stimulant (any of them, not just MDMA), you have some unopposed alpha-adrenergic action (not from the MDMA, which may have different cardiac stim properties, just in general.) I'd wonder about some autonomic dysregulation. Given some of the odd cardiac effects of MDMA, I'd probably not ingest the two together, to anyone who's reading this in future.

But dont tell someone else not because it doesnt work for you.

Flip side: we're here to help people not use. Using is detrimental to mental health, and to recovery. Which is kinda what we're about. If someone's brain somehow doesn't get blended, well, great. I'd rather they not lead on someone else into thinking they'll be OK though. In fact I might get a bit stompy.

CNS,

I'll send

Humboldt over,

Big Pacific NorthWest

Stompy Boots.

Even If it's Rainin'

Stasis

• 4 months later...
Guest fourUNITS

I'm on E and Inderal right now, not much going on, but I wasn't feeling the E very strongly before. This is my first time on E, and I took two hits, but I read somewhere that some people who take SSRIs can't feel their E, so that might be the cause.

Bottom line is I'm still alive ;). It's been about 5 hours.

This is my first time on E, and I took two hits, but I read somewhere that some people who take SSRIs can't feel their E, so that might be the cause.

So, did you enjoy wasting your money? EVERYONE knows you can't take E while on SSRI's.

Also please remember, this forum is for people who are trying to stay OFF drugs and other controlled substances. If you are on SSRI's, I'm thinking you have some sort of disorder, and probably shouldn't be trying get high.

Guest fourUNITS

This is my first time on E, and I took two hits, but I read somewhere that some people who take SSRIs can't feel their E, so that might be the cause.

So, did you enjoy wasting your money? EVERYONE knows you can't take E while on SSRI's.

Also please remember, this forum is for people who are trying to stay OFF drugs and other controlled substances. If you are on SSRI's, I'm thinking you have some sort of disorder, and probably shouldn't be trying get high.

I was responding to the question, and maybe you should, too.

Feel free to make more immediate judgements and such -- though I'm a little frightened that you're willing to tell me what I should and shouldn't do, especially after just one post. Lighten up, and stop playing doctor.

Also, to the original poster, I took 2 Prozacs as I was coming down from the E, and I've had no changes in mood or outlook or anything: common way to skip the hangover, from the research I've done.

I was responding to the question, and maybe you should, too.

Jesus, did you even read the question? All you've done is verify what we already knew. Don't mix crazymeds with other drugs. And this is the information age here, I can't believe anyone would be stupid enough to just blindly take something without doing a little research first.

Also, you might find some of us are more receptive to someone who actually joins. And if you do decide to join us, please make yourself familiar with the rules and purpose of each forum first.

I'm not even going to bother with the rest. I don't argue with strangers.

Archived