CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin experiences

Hiya. I'm considering Wellbutrin. I would like to just hear about people's experiences and how the felt and such. I've done the research and I know the facts, the official side-effects and such. I would like to know the more subjective side of what people experienced on Wellbutrin. What kind of things do the PI sheets not tell us, or even how did the side-effects manifest themselves? I would appreciate it!

Hiya. I'm considering Wellbutrin. I would like to just hear about people's experiences and how the felt and such. I've done the research and I know the facts, the official side-effects and such. I would like to know the more subjective side of what people experienced on Wellbutrin. What kind of things do the PI sheets not tell us, or even how did the side-effects manifest themselves? I would appreciate it!

Hi, Sally!

Well, not a single side effect, that I can notice. I know that drugs affect everyone differently, but I've been on Wellbutrin XL for 18 months now (with a short detour on a generic) and I have nothing but good to report. No dry mouth, no interactions with the 5 other medicines I take, no sleepiness or apathy---I feel like I did before I got depressed. It seems to be weight-neutral for me, and it doesn't affect me sexually. **knock on wood** I hope this goes on forever.

olga

I felt physically and mentally activated, sometimes agitated. I wasn't depressed anymore, but I was even more short-tempered and hostile than before. I was still as anxious and paranoid as ever. At the time, I was so relieved not to be depressed anymore that I didn't really care about the down sides. One nice side effect: my sex drive increased, but that could be due to not being depressed.

This was years before I was diagnosed with bipolar I; as far as I know, my diagnosis then was major depression and generalized anxiety, so mood stabilizers weren't in the picture yet.

I would like to know the more subjective side of what people experienced on Wellbutrin. What kind of things do the PI sheets not tell us, or even how did the side-effects manifest themselves? I would appreciate it!

Very subjective effects: I could not *stand* alcohol. :wtf:

Normal effects: some dry mouth effects. :)

What the hell? effects: I'm one of the small fraction of people for whom it can be literally narcotic. ;)

Why didn't they come out and say that? effects: "seizure" does not necessarily mean "on the floor and flopping around" A dangerously lowered seizure threshold can produce many of the symptoms of temporal lobe epilepsy. :cussing:

Hi -

I've been on Wellbutrin since 2000 at varying doses from 150 mg to 450 mg a day, my current dose, and the maximum recommended. I have nothing but good things to say about it - I can't take SSRIs as they turn me into a zombie and kill my sexual response. When I first started it, I just had dysthymia and it helped a lot. I've since had two episodes of major depression, and the Wellbutrin was augmented with a whole variety of things to get me better again.

Right now I've luckily been granted a reprieve and am in full remission, working full-time, have a social life, etc. However, the pdoc gave me the news a long time ago that I would be on maintenance meds for the rest of my life. Since Wellbutrin seems to work on the dysthymia and has no noticeable side effects, that's my current drug of choice. I hope it keeps on working, although I'd like to lower the dose down to 300 mg at some point. It's a bit scary to be at the maximum dose knowing there's a good chance I'll get sick again at some point, but there are lots of possible drugs to augment with so I'm probably worrying unnecessarily.

When I asked the pdoc why I was in another episode of major depression when I had been taking my meds as prescribed, he answered, "We don't know." Then we started on a merry-go-round of all sorts of things to augment the Wellbutrin, and eventually I got better. Right now all I take is Wellbutrin and a handful of various vitamins and supplements, and also Atacand HZT for mild hypertension.

By the way, I can't tell the difference between the generic and brand name, although others here have noticed a difference. Also, there's a recent post about a study on the difference between the generic and brand name XL variety that you might want to look at. I take the SR version myself. Good luck to you.

Wellbutrin SR was helpful to me while I could take it. It made me feel focused, motivated, and helped with the depression too. Unfortunately, one day I had a sudden drop in blood pressure (70/40!!) and had to go to the ER. Jury's still out on whether it was the Wellbutrin but it hasn't happened since and my DR took me off of it.

Some things I didn't like: Pills stink like rotten eggs and also gave me stinky gas, made me sweat a lot, Short-temperedness, and yeah I couldn't stand alcohol either. And if I did drink - even just a couple glasses of wine, I would wake up the next day with a bitch of a headache!

Was on wellbutrin XL 150mg. It was nothing but great to me. Was on it for 4 years. Not negative side effects. No negative interactions with others meds. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for an AD as a good one to try. Didnt go off it for any bad reasons, pdoc just felt now that I'm on a good mood stabilizer it was superflouis (sp?).

Took it twice and it threw e into the only two true manic episodes I ever had that I know of. The first time was to 450mg to quit smoking and ended when I blacked out and tried to kill myself, and was hospitolized. And the second was when my pdoc convinced me that I was stable on the right cocktail of meds and would be ok I made it to 300 mg before I blacked out and tried to kill myself again. Now my fill has big red letters CAN'T TOLLERATE WELLBUTRIN.

Took it twice and it threw e into the only two true manic episodes I ever had that I know of. The first time was to 450mg to quit smoking and ended when I blacked out and tried to kill myself, and was hospitolized. And the second was when my pdoc convinced me that I was stable on the right cocktail of meds and would be ok I made it to 300 mg before I blacked out and tried to kill myself again. Now my fill has big red letters CAN'T TOLLERATE WELLBUTRIN.

I've been on it for a little over two years now I guess. It screws with my apetite to no end, I'm generally not hungry and nothing looks appealing. So I ended up losing weight on it, and had to end up forcing myself to eat when I didn't want to just to maintain my weight cause I really didn't want to lose anymore. That's annoying side effect #1 (although I'd rather that than something that was going to make me gain weight.) That and it makes me "stupid." I can't remember anything. Yeah, I know, almost all ADs will do this. Seriously though, it gets on my nerves. Even cooking dinner can be a nightmare cause I forget to turn the oven on, wait an hour or so until dinner is supposed to be ready, and yeah, or I forget I'm cooking until the fire alarm goes off...and school, well that's turning out to be quite the challenge in and of itself. At least I can remember to go to class now. But I feel like such a flake alot of the time. I'm not sure how much of this is due to the Wellbutrin anymore though, since I'm on other medications. I don't remember my memory problems being so bad when I'd first started it, but they were still there.

Other than that, no side effects that I'm aware of, and my sex drive is totally unaffected, which is awesome considering other medications were making it non-existant.

i've taken WB for about 3 years and have nothing but good to report.

it took away my depression, gave me a *little* more focus (to counteract ADD and the dumbness achieved by taking other meds and being bipolar), increased sex drive in general and my ability to have orgasms in particular (yeah!), and doesn't blunt my emotions like the SSRI family does a little.

in short, it is my miracle for depression. i take WB for depression, lamictal as a mood stabilizer, and abilify for mania. gotta love it.

oh yeah, one drawback- POTENTIAL shakiness. i used to attribute it to Adderall, but since i had to discontinue adderall and i'm having this shaking problem, i think it is the WB. i really doubt that lamictal or abilify would do it. but what's a little shaking as a trade?

;) the stuff is great!

i've taken WB for about 3 years and have nothing but good to report.

it took away my depression, gave me a *little* more focus (to counteract ADD and the dumbness achieved by taking other meds and being bipolar), increased sex drive in general and my ability to have orgasms in particular (yeah!), and doesn't blunt my emotions like the SSRI family does a little.

in short, it is my miracle for depression. i take WB for depression, lamictal as a mood stabilizer, and abilify for mania. gotta love it.

oh yeah, one drawback- POTENTIAL shakiness. i used to attribute it to Adderall, but since i had to discontinue adderall and i'm having this shaking problem, i think it is the WB. i really doubt that lamictal or abilify would do it. but what's a little shaking as a trade?

;) the stuff is great!

I've never taken Wellbutrin, but if you have anxiety/panic issues proceed very cautiously because the norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake can make your anxiety skyrocket. A friend of mine took it and the anxiety increase made him discontinue after 4 days. However, it works for a lot of people with straight-up mood issues minus debilitating anxiety.

I'm actually totally jealous because the side effect profile is better than SSRIs. I would have to be convinced to touch the stuff because I'm pretty sure I'd just freak out.

Archived