CrazyBoards.org

what's the best med for obsessive thoughts?

The atypical antipsychotics really worked for me for those. Unfortunately the side effects were more than I could handle. I'm back on mood stabilizers now and note the return of the clutter and non-stop mess of anxiety type thoughts.

So sorry you're going through this.

Have you tried Abilify, Zyprexa or Risperdal?

Can you increase the dose?

I'm a complete train wreck right now myself so can only send a load of understanding sympathy. You're not alone.

This is probably really crap advise because it doesn't always work for me, but it does sometimes... can you find a distraction? Some place to escape? Do something mindless or busy work. Exercise. Cut words out of magazines and glue them onto a big sheet of cardboard. Look up funny animal videos on youtube.

Sometimes, actually most times, it takes more than meds. It's times like this when the structured life of institutions sounds like bliss to me. Even stupid arts and crafts with the other nutters. There's something to be said for keeping your hands busy.

I wish you all the best for a speedy end to your current state.

keep in mind that you are still in the process of adjusting to new meds. Medication also does not fix everything. Are you in regular therapy or are you just being put on drugs? In all honesty, meds can only work to a point...

I'm actually afraid to try risperdal... but upping my lamictal seemed to help a bit

Abilify is primarily an activating med.. so it could be making your obsessive thoughts worse instead of better. Why are you afraid of Risperdal? Personally, I've found it to be pretty effective for my ruminating.

Archived