CrazyBoards.org

I've only just started taking Topomax and while I notice I'm not hungry at all I'm actually losing almost a pound a day. That's not normal is it? Not that I'm complaining. The atypicals put loads of weight on me and I have loads to lose, but I wouldn't have expected this.

Anyone else experienced something so immediate?

Weightloss is tough to measure because one day you could have a lot of fluid/food in you, another you could not have eaten anything yet, etc. The best way to tell if you've really lost any weight is to measure by inches. Have you pants gotten noticeably loser? I'd get a measuring tape (or if you dont have that a piece of string or a belt, whatever) and measure around your stomach. Checking that once a week or so will give you a realistic idea of if you're losing weight or not.

Well I just recently restarted topamax, about two months now. I've lost 10-15 pounds in that time. It's since stabilized.

I doubt you're actually losing a pound a day--you'd have to be burning in the neighborhood of 3500 calories over and above what you're taking in, and that's a hell of a lot of activity! But yeah, it does seem to go quick.

To get a better measure of weight loss I'd recommend no more than once a week weigh-ins. Day-to-day really won't say much, for much the reasons Madgod said.

I've been on topamax for 1.5 years and started to lose weight the past year or so. total weight loss, more than 50lbs, without trying. in fact, i've been trying to maintain/stabilize my weight with minimal success.

topa does do a number on the appetite. as far as the rapid weight loss-is it possibly dehydration too? you need to drink a ton of water on this medication. my doc recommended 80 oz minimum for me. if you're not drinking lots, most of your weight loss is probably fluids, which is not good. can lead to kidney stones etc.

I'll add that I'm not eating properly. Hardly at all. My apetite seems to have gone right out the window. Massive anxiety and depression seem to be the blame for that as much as anything.

I am drinking lots of water and tea. I'm very thirsty. Been going on long walks and to the gym to try to fight the depression to little effect.

Yes, clothes are fitting loosely and the belt is being tightened to keep pants up. I can see and feel the difference. I'm sure this isn't healthy, but I'm not trying to fight it as the weight the atypicals put on me (50 lbs) have got to go any way. I figure I have the extra calories to burn so let them burn.

The rapid heartrate produced by extreme anxiety seems to burn up a hell of a lot just sitting still.

I had a long reply to this all ready to go yesterday when the power went out and I lost it. I've lost probably 40lbs. since the late spring/early summer, but that's when I started taking Wellbutrin. I was already loosing on it and was hesitant to start Topamax in the summer because of the additional weight loss issue, but the migraines were getting out of control and several docs had suggested it. My neurologist was the one who convinced me because I also seem to have some temporal lobe issues and the Topa has helped me so much that I don't want to stop, despite the side effects. Most of them have settled down, save the weight loss. Even that seemed to stabilize at my pre-pregnancy weight, but I've had some very stressful non-crazy health related problems for a couple of months now and I've dropped some more weight. Many of my female friends have been really horrible to me about it, telling me I look like I have AIDS, I look like shit, I don't look "strong" anymore, etc. One of them screamed at me about it on the phone yesterday then hung up on me. Nice. Note: I have not dropped below what the NIH considers "normal" for my height, I'm just on the very lowest end, I talk to my pdoc every week about it, I've seen a nutritionist, I live in the most obese city in the most obese nation in the world (I think if I was in France, nobody would give me a second look), I'm not in any danger of starving to death, and no male friends have said a word about it so I think there is at least a touch of envy going on here. Those most vocal about it are at least 20-40lbs. overweight.

The weight loss has become a very sensitive subject to me. 120lbs was fine and I was focused on stabilization, 110lbs (now) I'm trying to gain some, because my pdoc says 100-105lbs is a problem and we will have to re-assess our treatment plan. He is the one scripting the topa now because it's also having a great interaction with my Wellbutrin and stabilizing/improving my mood and I'm looking for a new neurologist because my current one is creepy and always tells me how I remind him of someone he knew in high school and has a weird obsession with my hair.

Anyway, the nutritionist recommended Boost Plus as it has more calories than regular Boost (sometimes I just can't handle solids and I still have the taste perversion side effect and can only deal with the vanilla). The down side is the increased feeling of satiety which may make you even less inclined to eat solids. She also recommended cold foods rather than hot. Lots of people still like Japanese food while taking Topa, so I eat loads of sushi. I get the highest fat type I can, usually a fatty fish like salmon and add avocado for extra fat and calories. If you eat meat, it gives you the most calories, fat, and protein per serving and it's often delicious served cold. There are several Thai salads that feature cold sliced beef. You can also make a salad at home (use a full fat dressing) and add cold sliced chicken or beef to it. Sandwiches are also a good choice. She also recommended canned fruit (yuck) rather than fresh because we use more calories breaking down the fiber in fresh fruits while the canning process breaks down the fiber for us. Same for other high fiber foods like beans. She recommended more high sugar items than I was really comfortable with (heavy syrup canned fruit), but I thought some of her suggestions made sense.

Hope this helps. I look forward to reading about what strategies others are using to gain/maintain weight.

I didn't have the enormous and rapid amount of weight loss that most others had with Topamax because of undiagnosed Hashimoto's thyroiditis. But once that was diagnosed and treated it was just unreal the weight loss that occurred. And I had been on Topamax for quite some time.

I began experiencing the type of weight loss that others experience at the beginning of their treatment. I take Topamax for seizure control and mood stabilization. I went from being approximately 150 lbs. to 130 lbs in about a month. From there it was just staggering the amount of weight I lost. I'm 5'7" and was trying to stabilize my weight loss but I couldn't. Within a few months I dropped from 130 to 105 then to my lowest I think was 93 in DEC 2005. I was still having problems with my thyroid levels though. So that may have figured into it.

I ended up having to work with a nutritionist to get my weight up. I can't remember what drink/liquid meal thing they had me on but it was similar to what they had my mom on. (my mom was dying of lung cancer so she had to drink them because she couldn't eat because she lost her appetite)

So here's some strategies I've used in the past (and some I'm using now) to gain/maintain weight:

Right now I'm having tummy troubles and not able to handle a lot of solid food and because of health issues I can't have a lot of potassium in my diet. But if you can handle it, try drinking fruit juice and fruit nectars in between meals. They tend to be loaded with calories and if you can sip them they won't be too heavy on your tummy. Just be careful not to chug them or they will be too filling too quick. Sometimes you can dilute them a bit if they are too heavy.

Also be careful not to drink them too often or they will give you the shits. Especially apple juice. I learned all this info from my siblings from their early days as parents. Oh it must've been fun times for them. heh.

Keeping small snacks near you at all times helps so that you can nibble or graze throughout the day, that helps. Especially if you get the "dizzies".

Hope someone or anyone got some useful information from this rambly post.

Fruit nectars sound like a great idea. One of the strategies suggested for kids who won't eat orange veggies like carrots, squash, pumpkin, etc, is to substitute deep orange fruits like papaya and mango as they also contain a lot of beta carotene. Living in South Texas, it's easy for me to find 100% fruit nectars of these varieties at my grocery store. In other areas you should check out Latin or Mexican markets. I think Goya is nationally marketed.

One of my problems, though, is actually going to the store. I never really liked it, but I did it because I had to for my family. Before I was really crazy I could plan a weeks worth of menus and make a list based on the layout of the store and get it done in a reasonable amount of time and only have to go once a week. Now I really hate it. The lights and smells drive me crazy, and just looking at most of the offerings disgusts me. Pushing a cart around on a hard floor has me doubled over with back and pelvis pain (girlie problems) in about 30 minutes and I just have to get out of there without buying half the stuff I went in to get. Then I have to face unloading the car and putting everything away. My husband tries to be very helpful, but always has some backhanded comment about how good I used to be at this job (which really is mine...) and when he goes shopping we wind up with all frozen pizzas and pot pies plus some crazy impulse purchases. *sigh* We had a long tearful (on my part) talk about this last night and he agreed to do all the shopping with no snippy remarks if I would make a menu and a list for him. We'll see how this new division of labour goes.

I have a good feeling that Topamax has caused me to loose weight. I started on it last year and I've probably lost a good 10-15 pounds on it. Even when I started on Remeron and Seroquel in the Spring I've continued to lose a few more. I now hover around 140-144lbs (5' 7" male). Now whenever I see my weight dropping too much I just head on over to the donut shop...then I blame Remeron for making me do it. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I know I came on the scene a bit late about this topic, but Topomax has possibly caused me to to lose about 30 lbs in about 2 months. Depression didn't help. I was 135 when I went into the hospital and now I'm 105 and dropping daily. Not sure what to do about it, part of me just wants me to want to see where it peaks out, thinking it will stop about 100 lbs., but my family is getting worried, so I know what you mean with the weight loss and Topomax. I don't know if it stops or keeps on going. We shall see, right?

• 4 years later...

Did anyone loose weight drastically when they first started topamax then it stabilized? Or did anyone loose weight drastically then slowly continue to loose? I started topamax about a month ago and lost 12 pounds in a week in a half. Zyprexa made me go from 145 to 174. And topamax made me go from 174 to 162. I am now 160. The only thing is I don't know if it was only the topamax because I was working out daily(cardio/weights) everyday and eating very little(due to the topamax) I have stopped working out so I don't faint at the gym. So I haven't really been loosing....wondering if now my body is going into starvation mode or if my weight is stabilizing or if I need to get my butt back in the gym!! Lol!! Any responses are appreciated. Thank you!

I never lost weight when I was on topamax, and I took it for two years. During the first couple of weeks, my appetite decreased slightly, but there was no weight loss because of it.

Really?? That's so weird that I lost all that weight in one week!!! I mean I know I was hitting the gym hard but dang lol it's like I went to sleep and woke up and 6 pounds of fat had melted of me and 6 more pounds did in the shower. I have increased my dosage to 100 mg ( I think at that time I was only on 25mg or 50mg) due to my mania and barely eat but not working out. Thinking about doing it again. Hopefully I don't faint. Hmmm....

Momofmonkeys, I have not heard that about Topa, but I don't know every possible side effect. I would say depression is unusual, but I am not going to say it is out of the question. If someone has had that experience, they will probably speak up.

Topamax is occasionally used for mood disorders, but it is actually not even recommended for off-label for treatment of BP anymore. There are always one or two people for whom Topa hits the sweet spot, and stabilizes them, but it is unusual.

I tried a metabolite of Topamax, Zonegran, for migraine. For me, it didn't work, but many people have found Topamax to be a silver bullet for migraine. I would really urge you to try it. I am jealous of those it does work for.

Topamax is an anticonvulsant. It is prescribed for Epilepsy (although I don't know how good it is, my husband, Mr. Epilepsy, has never used it). Also, for problems with anger, and on rare occasions for weight loss. If I've forgotten something, others will chime in.

Archived