Hey all.. new here.

I've been on Wellbutrin XL for depression for.. urh, five months.  At first it helped me focus and concentrate but doesn't do that anymore, well it does,  a tiny tiny bit, but only when I set myself up to really try and focus.  I'm pretty sure I have ADHD primary inattentive type.. yet to be officially dx'ed.  I want to go see a pdoc and get official dx either way but I'm actually in the process of chaning jobs...ergo, insurances.

Not that.. I was able to see a pdoc w/ my current one..seeing as how their 24/7 mental health pre-auth line isn't 24/7 unless it's an emergency.  "Urh, hi, I'm going to slit my..." 

Actually.. right now, I'm going through a battery of psychological testing now..so I might get a dx soon. (ADHD..and some other LDs I suspect I have.. damn it, I know there's some good stuff in my  head.. why is it so hard to get there?!)

Sorry for rambling on.. 

I was just curious if anyone is on Wellbutrin plus an ADHD med. (except strattera.. SNRI+MRI/NDRI = uh oh.) 

At my current job, I got warned around the 3rd, 4th month of employment for 'dogging' it.  I knew I was not as productive as I should be, but I just could not focus well enough.. sigh. Not to mention, I got bored w/ the projects I was on b/c they became so redundant...ughh. It prob didn't help that at the time, I was exteremly depressed and just going through the day felt like walking around in a big dense fog that weighed me down.

Anyway.. I swear I'll get to the point.. 

I just want to hear some personal experiences from those of you who have taken both wellbutrin and a stimulant.  If I do try something, I'll most likely go for once-a-day types since I'll prob forget to the other doses.  I really really do not want to mess up with this new job..it's an awesome job with a situation that I never thought would come true...almost too good to be true..  ;)

thanks everyone :)

I was just curious if anyone is on Wellbutrin plus an ADHD med. (except strattera.. SNRI+MRI/NDRI = uh oh.) 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More like: MAOI + SNRI = uh oh.  Since there's very much an upper limit on WB, some people might

need Strattera with it.

Check out a few of the other subject threads here and in the non-SSRI board - lots of Wellbutrin

discussion there. About the only psych drugs I haven't read about being added to WB are the

antipsychotics.

Oh yeah, and from my experience WB does NOT go nicely with either tetracycline or dextromethorphan

(cough syrup).

I take 300 mg of Wellbutrin XL and 40 mg of Adderall daily, among other things.  Prior to Adderall I was unfocused, could not stay on any one task/project very long (sometimes not even 15 minutes) and I could barely force myself to trudge out of the house to begin work.  I'd been on Wellbutrin for perhaps 6 months and my pdoc put me on Concerta.  I used that for a month and couldn't tell any difference at all.  Next was Adderall, starting at 10mg XR.  Immediate improvement, but it only lasted about 4 hours.  We worked our way up to 40 mg, 10 mg at a time.  Now I'm eager to get dressed and out the door.  I find that at work my mind is clearer and I prioritize well, something I'd forgotten how to do.  Yes, the energy is there too, but having my head clear and being able to focus again is fantastic.  The only problem with it is having to get a new prescription every month because they can't refill on controlled substances.  Just a minor nuisance. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WB has helped me a lot with smoothing things out all around.  been almost a year on WB sr 150/ 2x day and i take 10-30mg ritalin/ day.  it's a terrific combo for me- add plus rapid cycling moods.  at least it was, up until about 6 weeks ago, whenever anyone asked how i was, i would answer "great/ fantastic/ wonderful" and i meant it.  now, although nothing has changed in my life, i'm not feeling quite as exuberant.  concerned that maybe the WB is not being quite as effective.  and maybe worrying about it is making it more so........?

talke to my pdoc re: increasing to 450mg/day.  it seems high, but i miss being so happy.  it was great. 

Got my dx of ADD-inattentive at age 49.  I had been trying Wellbutrin at 300 mg along with Provigil at 200 mg. and Effexor xr at 225.  Holy Smoking crawling insanity! I waited the month till I saw my pdoc again and told her I was trying to ride out what I thought were merely side effects - agitation and some goofy checking behaviors, and a few depressive dark dark places I had never quite visited before and did not know how to handle.  She told me if it is a side effect, it should dissipate in 5-7 days or less. Oh. Now trying 100 mg. WB XR, 300 mg. Effexor XR, 200 mg. Provigil.  Better, so far, less checking behavior, better memory (including some visits from ghosts of the past, but at least it had some perspective and information I had forgotten!). Adderal next, perhaps.  Would love some hypomania for a change.  The Provigil has proved to be very key, if I don't take it I am not functioning very well at all. 

• 1 month later...

Does Wellbutrin help with that obnoxious comedown from stims? or that anxiety feeling at night? Just wondering....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm currently only on Wellbutrin, but I've found that the stimulating effect is much more "spread out."  For example, waking up in the morning is easier than it was with stimulants, where their effect would be gone by morning.

So, I suspect that the answer to dragonfly's question is yes.

As for the topic's question, I'm also interested in combining Wellbutrin with something else.  Probably Dexedrine, since that's worked pretty well for me before, although Provigil also seems promising.

I tend to have a major problem with low energy levels, so anything that will increase them seems worth considering.

Archived