CrazyBoards.org

I've been restarted on Topamax for about 2 weeks now and for the last week now I've noticed I'm not drinking water like I usually do. I used to drink about 150-200 ounces a day (a lot I know but I've just always been that way - not diabetic or anything). Now I'm drinking half that much if that. Anyone else experienced a similar effect?

Off the top of my head, I don't remember anything like that, but the top of my head has been kind of forgetful lately. Regardless of being particularly thirsty or not, drinking a decent amount of water on Topamax is a pretty good idea. Kidney stones suck, or so I've heard. The one lasting effect Topamax had on me, even after stopping it, was getting me in the habit of drinking enough on a daily basis.

Are you drinking anyway? (And I don't mean the good stuff! ;) )

I've never had that happen, but I've also never started and stopped Topamax either. Like you said, it's a good idea to drink water whether you're thirsty or not...unless you like waking up screaming in pain in the middle of the night!

Well like I said I'm still drink about half that which means I'm drinking about 75-100 ounces a day which is about normal for a person anyways. I think I realized the reason the other day though. I used to eat really shitty - as in pretty much nothing but junk food, sweets and chips and fast food, basically anything but the good stuff for a body. Now that I'm on the topa I'm not only eating a lot less but my apetite has changed so that I'm actually enjoying healthier foods too. As a result I think my body isnt trying to flush all the crap (ie salt and such) from the... well, crap that I was eating. Thats my theory anyways.

Edit: That to thats

I've heard you need to drink at least 80 - 100oz. of water and sports beverages with Topamax, maybe more to avoid kidney stones. It's a good idea to push fluids even if you don't feel very thirsty. One of the best indicators is what comes out. You want your urine to be light coloured, almost clear, and be producing it on a regular basis. Dark yellow indicates you are not getting enough fluids.

My friend CER has been confused with Nemo at Disneyland because he toted around so much water.

My friend CER has been confused with Nemo at Disneyland because he toted around so much water.

You're Dory, Rachel (Topamax memory and all)...and I'm not Nemo...take a guess who I am, though...

BWHAAAAA! ;)

findingnemo102ek1.jpg

Madgod,

Makes sense. Salty junk food = more thirst, especially where Topamax is concerned.

One of the best indicators is what comes out. You want your urine to be light coloured, almost clear, and be producing it on a regular basis. Dark yellow indicates you are not getting enough fluids.

Another indicator is whether or not your lips are dry. Lips will dry out before you actually feel thirsty, so dry lips = drink water. I remember someone actually saying that by the time you're actually thirsty.. you're already dehydrated.

Hi Cetkat,

I've heard the same thing about already being dehydrated by the time you are thirsty. I'm on multiple meds, like so many of us here, and some of them give me dry mouth. How does one distinguish this from actual thirst? My lips have a tendency towards dryness, anyway, especially since it's cooling off down here. I usually just err on the side of caution and drink more anyway, but I'm still curious as to med induced dry mouth vs. actual thirst.

Hi Cetkat,

I've heard the same thing about already being dehydrated by the time you are thirsty. I'm on multiple meds, like so many of us here, and some of them give me dry mouth. How does one distinguish this from actual thirst? My lips have a tendency towards dryness, anyway, especially since it's cooling off down here. I usually just err on the side of caution and drink more anyway, but I'm still curious as to med induced dry mouth vs. actual thirst.

Hmm.. I'm not sure. That's a very interesting point. I suppose, ultimately, you end up drinking more anyway & stay hydrated without needing the prompt. It could be that the dry mouth is an indicator even prior to when you would normally get the dry lips. As far as telling the difference between the two, the sensation feels a bit different to me. When I have dry mouth, I tend to take alot of little sips; whereas, when I'm thirsty.. I normally drink more water more quickly. I believe actual thirst has the tendency to do that because athletes and such are advised to slow down how quickly they drink water afterwards to avoid getting sick. So, when you're 'thirsty' you feel the need to drink more..

Archived