CrazyBoards.org

Generic options rather than Abilify

Back a few weeks ago, I had a checkup to see how I was doing with 200 mg Lamictal and, I think, 15 mg of Abilify. And then my samples ran out. And there is no way we can afford to get the abilify, so I haven't been taking it. I'm fairly stubborn about going to doctors, but today I finally called and...

Call 1: Receptionist said just call pharmacy and have them fill the abilify presciption with generic. I mildly protested, but then had my wife call. No, she's wrong.

Call 2: Made appt for tomorrow when hopefully I'll get changed to a generic. Heck, I'd like a generic to replace the lamictal.

Can anyone tell me what kinds of things might be suggested so I can read up on them beforehand?

You didn't say why you were taking it and what it helped with so there's really no way to say beyond that.

My lamictal gets rid of 95% of my hypomania, but gives me some "I failed" level of depression. Not crushing, but crying in the car every once in a while and on the verge of not being able to fake normal anymore. The Abilify samples helped with that, lots.

He tried Geodon on me, but it put me in a coma (figuritively). I will read up on resperdal.

I was thinking risperdal, too (after reading your last couple of emails), but I'm hardly an expert (not even a novice) when it comes to anti-psychotics.

And hey... I just noticed the fibromyalgia diagnosis in your sig. Is that new? If so, all the more reason to see if Cymbalta is an option (with the mood stabilizer).

YEah, fibromialgia is what my arthritis doctor put on my interoffice pink thing you hand to the receptionist once. My mother's whole side of the family has arthritis that twists their fingers in all directions, but I failed the rheumatism test, so I'm fibro fibro.

Yay, Sunshine. You rock.

I was thinking risperdal, too (after reading your last couple of emails), but I'm hardly an expert (not even a novice) when it comes to anti-psychotics.

And hey... I just noticed the fibromyalgia diagnosis in your sig. Is that new? If so, all the more reason to see if Cymbalta is an option (with the mood stabilizer).

Cymbalta was fantastic for my fibromyalgia pain. Too bad it sent me into a mixed episode featuring unbearable vertigo. I would recommend it highly for the pain, though, if you don't get the fuckered-uppedness.

yes, i'm with VE- why are you taking an atypical? do you have delusions/confused thinking/psychosis? in those cases, you'd need an atypical. as he said, we don't think, at least in the US, that Abilify is made in generic. it's one of the newer drugs out there for schizophrenia and bp.

if it isn't necessary to take an AAP but you need mood stabilization and something to smack down the hypos and bring up the depressions, i can't think of a better combo than lamictal+lithium. Li is VERY cheap. you have to get your blood tested periodically, but that isn't nearly as big of a deal as abilify.

i was on this combo for awhile (now i take lamicta+abilify) and loved it. the problem was that Li made me very stupid, dumber than a pile of rocks. i turned left on red and stuff like that. i forgot when job interviews were (back in the day when i worked).

but i'd give it some thought. if it's a mood issue, nothing beats Li+Lamictal, for price or effectiveness.

good luck!

Hey, as it turns out, I"m now on Lamictal + Lithium, and with my insurance, or maybe just the magical pharmacy, I get it free (not the lamictal though). I think I'm getting placibo effect today, as I'm already feeling better. So better, in fact, I'm doing the "Am I really that bad without this?"

As for delusions, uh, yeah, some. Turns out my wife wasn't actually plotting against me for about half a year. I thought she was always trying to trick me and that I was going to get caught being lazy and crazy at work and get fired. No halucinations though. I'm not sure how absolutely I do fit the bill for being delusional anyway, but when I ask my wife, she goes, "Uh, YEAH." It was a pretty rough time when I thought she was trying to trick me and plot against me. Not the best time in our marriage.

But, hey, didn't have racing thoughts while crying to the radio in the car today. I'm pleased with this, even if, at this point, it's just placebo effect, which I hope it's not. I took 300 mg last night and again this morning. That's my schedule. Total of 600 daily.

The only thing I had to do that was questionable is tell my doc that I had been off Mobic (for arthritis, or, as it's diagnosed fibromyalgia) for a week. It's actually only been two days and that was because I just ran out and didn't filll it. Now, I can't take Mobic with lithium, and my hands and ankles are quite hurty.

Tradeoffs = lame.

Nick, I have mild arthritis and my dr. prescribed Arthrotec. It is a strong anti-inflammatory with a prostoglandin (sp?) to buffer your tummy so you don't get ulcers. It works awesome. I don't know how expensive it is. I don't take it anymore because it interacts w/ my prevacid and I have to choose my battles right now. I was on ins. when I got it so I don't know how much it costs, but it's my understanding that pharmaceutical (sp?)(sorry I can't type or spelll good in the am) companies have programs to get free meds.

I forgot how well the stinky wintergreen topical worked. Sure, I smell like a Certs, even after washing my hands three times afterward (no, not OCD, just want the smell gone, and it isn't). If I do that a few times a day, I'm great.

After listening to the Evanescence song Lithium, she should quit bitching. After listening to Nirvana's song Lithium, what is Kurt even talking about.

Archived