CrazyBoards.org

AMORYN, WELATONIN, ANXIETROL....

Guest stopping_in

I've done the ssri route and it's just not working for me. BUT...being off them is not working for me, either, iykwim.

SOOOOO...I'm looking (and feeling rather desperate, I might add) for a natural, side-effect free, alternative that can keep me on the rails.

Anyone out there that can throw me some advice, info, personal experience stories?

Thanks in advance!!

I've done the ssri route and it's just not working for me. BUT...being off them is not working for me, either, iykwim.

Not without better mind-reading equipment we don't. Are you looking to replace medical treatment, or for an adjunct to help make an irritating side effect easier to bear?

SOOOOO...I'm looking (and feeling rather desperate, I might add) for a natural, side-effect free, alternative that can keep me on the rails.

1. If it has an effect it can have side effects. For example, St. Johns Wort is a known photosensitizer.

2. Arsenic, wolfsbane, foxglove, belladonna - all are natural, none really belong in your mouth, one isn't available in a prescription form.

Omega-3, A B-vitamin complex, and a multivitamin will all help you regardless of you're on psych meds or not.

As Null0 more or less said, it's a mistake to think that natural is the same thing as pure. With pharmaceuticals you're taking a specific molecule mixed with a carefully constructed base of some kind. With herbs you're taking the whole plant so you get lots of stuff in there with it. The fact that Fish Oil gives you fish burps is not a sign that it's more pure than molecularly distilled Omega-3 supplements. It's a sign that your breath smells like a flounder.

Other stuff, such as serotonin precursors can be fatal when mixed with SSRIs. NA and DA precursors can induce mania in people who are predisposed to such.

The majority of the stuff passing itself off as a natural cure is just snake oil.

Some things that are less likely to be be snake oil are listed in the crazystore. I strongly recommend that you read up on them and preferably talk to medical professional before taking any of it.

http://astore.amazon.com/crazyboards05-20/...UTF8&node=4

Guest stopping_by

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply to my post.

I loved how my meds helped my depression and anxiety but I hate the side effects. I tried a on 2 separate occasions to go this route but it was always the same ending. I just don't tolerate them well.

But, I hate who I am when I am off them. Before I try yet another pharmaceutical my doc and I thought I might try a natural (non-pharma) alternative. I'm doing my research....

Still hoping to hear from anyone reading this who has had positive results with something you don't need an rx to purchase.

Thanks!

If you're not going to combine it with anything that does serotonin reuptake inhibition and you don't think biplar is likely 5HTP and SAMe are good bets. Don't combine them.

Again, so long as you don't think bipolar is likely, L-Tyrosine (or better yet, N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine) and L-Phenylalanine or D,L-Phenylalanine can be taken in combination with either of the two above.

Take Omega-3 or Fish Oil. Take a B-Vitamin complex. Take a Multivitamin.

The potential for side effects with St. John's Wort is higher than with most SSRIs.

I sorted through the supplement section at Amazon and put the best stuff I could find in our crazystore.

Here's what I'm currently taking in addition to my meds:

http://astore.amazon.com/crazyboards05-20/...2521978-4907223

The multi I'm taking isn't actually listed because it doesn't work with the astore setup. Any of the so called "whole food supplements" are a good bet.

What meds did you try btw? Different families have different

First off, remember that there are different classes of antidepressants and even within classes the medications may work radically differently.

If you're not going to combine it with anything that does serotonin reuptake inhibition and you don't think bipolar is likely 5HTP and SAMe are good bets. Don't combine them.

For serotonin reuptake inhibition I would try St. John's Wort over SAMe. For loading up the tail-end of 5HT metabolism in order to slow down the breakdown process melatonin may be helpful. I personally would go with tianeptine over all three. Although it isn't a natural alternative, nor is it FDA approved (an issue in the USA,) it has a low side effect profile and low toxicity.

There are herbal MAOIs but I do NOT recommend going that route. The interactions with medications, other herbs, street drugs, and even some foods can be fatal.

Archived