CrazyBoards.org

I'm trying to figure out what to do because I feel like the DepoProvera might be contributing to my mood.

BUT it is doing pretty good for hormone suppression, which is pretty important, since they make everything go haywire.

Regular BC pills and the ring are out because I get headaches with focal neurological symptoms and mini pills are out because I don't trust myself to take them at the exact same time every day.

Anyone using Implanon, or even better, gone from DepoProvera to Implanon? The stats say about 20% are amenorrheic. At least the ones that I am seeing.

Anyone have any other ideas?

I am really underwhelmed with the Ortho-Evra patch at this point, but it may work for you as an alt to the Nuva or the OCPs.

Mirena works for some, not for others, as far as suppression goes. Meh.

You can always have Implanon 'de-implanoned,' if you decide to try it. It's not a gang of laughs, but it's not the worst thing ever to have done.

It's probably less invasive to try Implanon before Mirena.

I am really underwhelmed with the Ortho-Evra patch at this point, but it may work for you as an alt to the Nuva or the OCPs.

Unfourtunately, it's the same deal with the patch [which I totally forgot about] as with the pill and the ring - the risk of stroke is increased with the migraine with neurological symptoms. I heard from someone it got all slimey on them.

Yeah I guess I can implanon and un-implanon if necessary. I wonder if my regular doctor can do that?

Unfourtunately, it's the same deal with the patch [which I totally forgot about] as with the pill and the ring - the risk of stroke is increased with the migraine with neurological symptoms. I heard from someone it got all slimey on them.

Yeah I guess I can implanon and un-implanon if necessary. I wonder if my regular doctor can do that?

As long as s/he has been trained in it; Organon offers training at the office, or used to, and Planned Parenthood, etc., offers training en masse. If s/he is newly out of residency, then it was covered there. Most FPs have learned it by now, and the reps aren't bringing teachers to the offices these days. You might need to go fill it at a pharmacy and bring it back to the office, if the office doesn't do very many of them, as odd as that sounds (rare, but I've heard of it.)

Otherwise, Planned Parenthood or any women's health office (or county reproductive health clinic) should do them. Student health center staff should be trained, I would think.

Mirena can be placed by anyone who's trained in placing IUDs and familiar with them.

The front desk at your FP's office should know.

As to the Patch - I always see it get grotty around the edges, like a nasty old Band-aid. Unlike the sleek young things in the ads, most of us have things like clothes, cats, dogs, lives...

Hope that helps some. On the discomfort scale, I'm told that placing the Implanon is about like getting a fishhook removed. ??? FWIW. Obviously that's highly subjective.

Guest Guest_Mumbleweed_*

Hey, sorry no DepoProvera but I am about 2 years into my second Implanon implant.

They're definitely good in theory (meaning on an individual basis it may not turn out to be quite so?).

Any GP that's had the training (and has got the insurance) can do it for you. The worst part is the anesthetic (I hate needles so that IS bad...) It's a very simple proceedure. My first was when they were relatively new and it was placed a little incorrectly I think, as my second doctor looked at it and asked me where it had been performed. (First time I had dark bruising radiating about an inch out from the entire implant. The second just had sort of a pinkie nail size bruise at the entry point with a very faint smear along it. That said it all for me!)

My first was in 1999 (it was released '98) so I'm sure everybodies more familiar with it by now. But I think USA only just approved it in 2006 So make sure they've done a few and are up to date with the best/correct method just to be on the safe side.

Um I'm not sure what you want to know exactly?

There is like a settling in period (ha ha) before it starts running smoothly but that was more the first than the second really.

If you decide you would like to have babies three days after removal you are good to go so I would suspect that if you had it removed for other reasons in three days it would, similarly, be out of your system.

Removal is an almost identical experience (especially as far as I was concerned ;) Lie down, arm up, look away, needle-lie still, lay there for a bit then all done!)

Scarring isn't really worth bothering to mention. And although it is possibly like having a fish hook removed I'd probably liken it more to a clean splinter (Which doesn't sound quite so bad :) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implanon has some info and links.

i'm interested, but i had Norplant, where there are 5 or 6 small rods (i don't remember how many) that they put in the same place in your arm, under the skin.

my periods were spotty and sketchy. sometimes i'd have them and sometimes not, or they'd come early, etc. i suspect it would be the same with the new system, but i don't know what hormones they're using so i can't comment really on that.

but i can comment on how it feels when they take it out and put it in.

putting it in hurt like crazy for me. my gyn wasn't so good at it, and even put them in slightly crooked. he made a rather large incision too. it hurt like crazy when he did the pain reliever injection for the implantation. i wasn't a happy camper.

then i had it for about 4 years, during college, because i knew that there would be times when i couldn't afford birth control copays, and i was right. implants are a great choice for students and people who want easier (if erratic) periods.

getting it out didn't hurt one bit. my new gyn was very good at it, and the new incision was very small.

i have nice scars from the implantation and removal. but i scar easily. i can point them out to people, and sometimes people notice them. they look like growth marks that have turned white (i'm a fair skinned person).

i got them taken out after i finished college. i was using Lunelle, the monthly injectable that they took off the market shortly after it was introduced, and i loved it. it used combined hormones, like the regular pill or ring.

now i use the ring and really like it. it's funny- when my boyfriend knows it's there, he claims to feel it. if i trick him and claim it isn't there, then he doesn't notice it. ;)

but as i said, the only painful part of the whole thing was the pain reliever injection when he put them in. i could feel the incision being made- it was just a cold feeling, but not painful at all.

it bruised, but that's to be expected.

Archived