CrazyBoards.org

Lithium, the wonder salt...

I was diagnosed as BP when I was around 18, now I'm close to 26. I had a period where my ex told me I was so weak for taking my meds, why can't I deal with the problems, etc. So for two years I stopped taking lithium. And I wound up doing so many drugs that I'm shocked I didn't die. My hourly mood swings got so bad that I found an old bottle of lithium carb and within four days I was like a new person.

Fast forward to January 2007. Have to put dog to sleep. Get depressed, miserable relationship, cheat on boyfriend. April, cat disappears for 6 days, turns up dead in a drainage tunnel. Pdoc says "Cymbalta!" Life turns to disgusting fat zombie state, withdrawals from hell, last 3 weeks. A month or two later, get put on 5mg Lexapro. Overly sensitive to ADs, turn into a zombie again. Weight gain had begun with Cymbalta, as did severe constipation. Still going on despite a pretty healthy diet and at least 3-4 days of cardio + toning.

Almost every day this year I have been abusing caffeine in various forms. Usually green tea, or pills derived from green tea (normal caffeine adds to constipation). Still half-assing life. 2 days ago got samples of Seroquel- I have split the pills into 1/4s, taking 12.5mg at night. I feel like a dead tired psycho with a PMS problem. I have cried about 15 times today. Yesterday I told my boyfriend I wished I was cheating on him, because I couldn't seem to control myself. I can't talk to customers at work-- I kept hiding in the back and hoped my boss would handle it. I feel afraid to open my mouth because I quickly reveal that I'm having problems and uh, hello, that needs to stay out of work! Seems out of control right now.

I had to leave work early today. I came home hysterical, part of it boyfriend related, part of it that I want a German Shepherd again and saw a puppy being walked, and part of it being that I saw about 8 dead turtles on my way home from work and I just couldn't understand how nobody would stop to help them across the road. I basically thought I have to sleep, but instead I resorted to begging my brother to smoke a bowl with me (I have been trying to avoid ganj while in transitions) and I went to the mall, where I bought green tea as well as some sugar free espresso blizzard thing at Nordstrom. That's a huge amount of caffeine, and I feel ready to crash. I HAVE TO STUDY FOR TWO MIDTERMS! I'm about to drop one of my classes. I am overreacting to everything. I got broken up with via text message because I'm freaking out and becoming very mean about it.

My problems are SO not big, but I feel absolutely helpless and I don't understand why my pdoc (a new one-- after the cymbalta mayhem) is questioning whether I'm bipolar. He read 9 features of the borderline personality disorder thing, and yeah I can be pretty irrational and 6 of them fit me, but they are almost all things that started when my little flumps died. I am still on 900 mg of Lithium carbonate, I am considering upping it to 1200 because I know it made a huge difference. My mom thinks I need Depakote, but wtf is up with pdocs, I pay a small fortune for 30 minutes if I'm lucky, but nothing ever seems to be accomplished. I am fed up with trying new meds when the side effects show me within a few days that I will be worse off with this in my system. So, is it wrong to increase my lithium intake? I'll probably try it, but would appreciate some feedback if you wouldn't mind...

By the way, I never had any weight gain on lithium, no fatigue, no tremors, only increased thirst (and I live in South Florida, I need to be drinking a lot of water!)

In addition, I take deep sea fish oil morning and evening, a good B-complex, D3 calcium magnesium combo, a large multivitamin, glucosamine, fiber supplements, just tried this stuff called Oxy-Cleanse that does a great job helping out the butt, maybe a couple other things I can't think of. But nothing drastic, just general things.

Ugh I am so frustrated right now. I'm sorry if this is a really stupid topic. I can't even tell if the things I'm doing are good or bad.

Doc just put me on lithium, so hearing that it's working for you is good. I'm not so sure that what's going on in your life doesn't totally suck. I think you might feel bad when things are so crap. So, in part, that might be part of it. Hell, I dunno. Thats a lot of badness for one time period.

But yeah, just got on Lithium, doing 600 mg and haven't had my first titration. And you do vitamins. I do a B-complex, B-6 (approx 10000% RDA), 4 grams of C, D, E, Fish oil (about six caps a day), asprin, magnesium, and calcium. The way I figure out how much to take, not paying attention to the antiquated RDA, is to see in research abstracts what level humans were given for a test of what D or whatever would do with regard to cancer, etc.

I used to rescue turtles. Only been peed on once. Almost lost fingers to a giant bastard one day. I dropped him and man, turtles can scoot when they need to.

Doc just put me on lithium, so hearing that it's working for you is good. I'm not so sure that what's going on in your life doesn't totally suck. I think you might feel bad when things are so crap. So, in part, that might be part of it. Hell, I dunno. Thats a lot of badness for one time period.

But yeah, just got on Lithium, doing 600 mg and haven't had my first titration. And you do vitamins. I do a B-complex, B-6 (approx 10000% RDA), 4 grams of C, D, E, Fish oil (about six caps a day), asprin, magnesium, and calcium. The way I figure out how much to take, not paying attention to the antiquated RDA, is to see in research abstracts what level humans were given for a test of what D or whatever would do with regard to cancer, etc.

I used to rescue turtles. Only been peed on once. Almost lost fingers to a giant bastard one day. I dropped him and man, turtles can scoot when they need to.

I am an absolute advocate of lithium, because it is the most natural solution most of us can find... Of course, I am probably lucky not to be suffering any of its typical side effects. Then again, as Fairly Odd Parent pointed out, I am at the bare minimum in the therapeutic dose level. My bloodwork always shows that the base is 0.5, and I am at 0.6. So I guess I am going to revert to my rebellious ways and say F.U. to authority and add 300 mg of lithium. Yes. That will teach him. ;) I am such a dork. I just got back from the gym, thank god they're open 24 hours most nights. I feel so much better. Coming home to find replies from people was also really great. I never do the forum thing, just bad at maintaining, but this one is neat. There are a bunch of people who know so much about mental health and medications they should be in the medical field, and there is virtually no drama. Ha how about a "I hate people on Prozac" thread. LOL it wouldn't even be possible because like, what, 75% of us have been put on Prozac at some point in our lives, right?

Yes, endorphins are high. Better get off this thing because I could type a novel right now. I just told my dad about all the dead turtles and he said "Yeah, those are the stupid ones who try to cross highways." I actually have a large dent in my car from trying to get to a big one a few months ago. I hit a freaking guard rail. Then, I had to find a gap in the fencing under which to push this thing. He only went about 1/3 of the way to the edge to the canal. I had to sit down on a cement slab in nice pants (post graduation party) and hold up a strip of barbed wire, which still ruined my pants, to try to push the turtle with my feet. After that I was like man, fuck a turtle, they never say thank you! But they are so silly and clumsy and cute, I can't help it.

I'm glad you liked the responses. Every time I write something I think I'm coming off as a super dork. I have to say, what Jerod wrote about being on lithium being like being a teenager again seems a little accurate (or possibly placebo effect, I trust nothing) because I'm very eager about things, but then totally not confident about what just happened. Thinking a little too much about fitting in. But, it seems to be working. I've talked to more people around the office in the last two days than I have in the last two weeks (minus those two days). Man, I hope I'm not coming off as some dork.

You're saving the wrong turtles.

I just got back from the gym, thank god they're open 24 hours most nights. I feel so much better. Coming home to find replies from people was also really great. I never do the forum thing, just bad at maintaining, but this one is neat.

Agree 100% on this forum -- it's helped me out when I've been in need.

As for the lithium, I personally had troubles balancing the sweat-salt-liquids thing. I enjoy high intesity workouts (dopamine and endorphins) and just couldn't stay salt-Li balanced. At 900mg/day, I was only at 0.4 and I think I was sweating or urinating out more than normal. When I went up to 1200mg/day, it got worse and I was getting jitters after a "light" sweat during a workout. I was also hugely depressed. Even though I don't think its right for me, Lithium is a great medication and has saved many lives.

I've heard the theraputic range is 0.6 to 1.2, so you are at the bare minimum. Have you considered that you're workouts could be affecting your serum levels? Remeber to have some electrolyte drink after working out. You may also want to discuss intense exercise and lthium with you pdoc. Good luck HH!

So you are on Lithium and Seroquel.. still on Cymbalta or Lexapro? Effexor gave/gives me constipation.. so I can see Cymbalta doing the same.

I am at the bare minimum in the therapeutic dose level. My bloodwork always shows that the base is 0.5, and I am at 0.6. So I guess I am going to revert to my rebellious ways and say F.U. to authority and add 300 mg of lithium.

That's what I was going to ask. Since Lithium has helped so much in the past, I don't blame you for upping it as long as you know where your levels are (which you do). I would give your doc a call though to let them know that you're doing it. They may disagree, but it's harder for them to help if they don't know what you're on.

By the sound of it, you may need a bit more help though. It seems like you're pretty down right now. I'm sorry to hear about the pets. I had a German Shepherd that was put to sleep last year.. so I understand how difficult that can be. If you can handle it, a new puppy might be a good thing.. someone to care for.

All the tiredness is probably just MI related, but just so you know.. Lithium can effect your Thyroid - and that can result in being hypothyroid. And that can cause depression, tiredness, etc.. I don't know if my Lithium usage made a difference on mine or not, but it is something to keep in mind. It may be a good idea to get it checked just in case that's part of the reason why you're needing all the caffeine.

I hope the increase helps you!

Archived