help me please...effexor

Guest kurt p

Guest kurt p

ive been on 150 Mgs of effexor XR for about 2 months now

before i went on it i was feeling really suicidal and such

now i just feel weird

i cant sleep, i dont masturbate anymore really, i dont know what the fuck is up, basically

i know that i dont want to kill myself anymore, but i also know that i feel extremely strange

actually, i had it combined with daily hihg doses of pot...but ive since stopped that, and since i stopped smoking weed all the time on top of the effexor ive really noticed how messed up i feel

i am like azombie, i cant fucking feel

how hard is it going to be for me to quit this pill? 

i know that if i cant find my bottle in the morning i kind of freak out.... i dont know, i need to get off this drug

what is the drug that most people recomend??? idont want to be taking anything but effexor certainly is just fucking me up more than its helping

i want to feel again, even if it is sadness.... i dont think ive really felt anything for several weeks and that scares the shit out of me.  i could use a good cry or a good laugh.... i dont fucking know

i know im a "noob" or whatever, but i really dont know where the fuck else to go.... this is really scaring me and i dont know how to get oofff of it.... yeah...

please help...

kurt.

I had the "can't fucking feel" thing starting just before I completely went off of Strattera and back onto Concerta, which I'm surprised worked at all. It took a while before I started liking food. The like of good photography didn't come back till Concerta crapped out completely and I was switched to Adderall XR.

Anyway, here's:

How to Stop Taking Effexor: Your doctor should be recommending that you reduce your dosage by 37.5mg a day every week if you need to stop taking it, if not more slowly than that.  For more information, please see the page on how to safely stop taking these crazy meds. You shouldn't be doing it any faster than that unless it's an emergency. Yes, that means if you've maxed out at 375mg a day it'll take 10 weeks to get off of Effexor (venlafaxine hydrochloride). Believe me, it's better that way.  Also, once you get down to that last 37.5mg a day, ask your doctor for a Prozac (fluoxetine) prescription or samples.  Generic fluoxetine will even do.  10mg a day is all you need.  Even with the proper discontinuation stopping the last 37.5mg can be hellish.  Taking two weeks worth of Prozac (fluoxetine) will make the discontinuation a lot easier.  So when you're off of Effexor and you cannot function, get on the Prozac for a week or two, then stop taking the Prozac.  You'll find you'll have either no discontinuation syndrome, or it won't be nearly as bad.

http://www.crazymeds.us/effexor.html

As for what other drugs you can use besides Effexor, what other drugs have you tried?

Kurt, can you put in a call to your pdoc and see what s/he can do to help you?

Please try and be honest about the weed, also. There may have been some kind of combined or unexpected effect from high doses.

I don't have an easy answer for you (or myself either!) but there are things that can be done to ease this for you.

And you are right about it being scary when you don't feel anything but fear 'cause you're feeling strange/zombie...it's been overwhelming to me at times.

Keep coming back, vent, let us know how you are doing!

Spike

I was on many many antidepressants for many years.  Prozac, Zoloft. Serzone, Wellbutrin and, finally, Effexor.  In retrospect none of them helped me - I was just so out of touch with my being.  Effexor was the worst because of the stimulation.  They eventually took me up to the maximum dose.  Can't remember exactly, but it may have been 300 mg./day.

Finally I was diagnosed Bipolar II and taken off antidepressants altogether.  I now take Zyprexa and Lamictal and have never felt better in my life.  Seems antidepressants aren't necessarily great things for Bipolars. 

Or course, this isn't to suggest that you may be Bipolar, but you will certainly want to reevaluate the appropriateness of your current meds.  No sense being miserable any longer than neccessary.

Best wishes to you and don't hesitate to contact me.

Kurt.

Hi. Noobs are always welcome around here, in fact celebrated. So come on in.

Concentrate on the good stuff first... how good it is not to wake up every morning wanting to die. If the Effexor is doing just that much for you, then yay for Effexor.

As for the rest, well, two months on a new crazymed is not enough time to thoroughly evaluate it, unless it's making you way more crazy.

And then there's the pot. Lots of people will talk about how pot isn't addictive. However... there definitely are nasty withdrawal effects if you quit after having smoked often enough for it to be a habit. Some of the effects include depression, boredom, anxiety, poor appetite, poor sleep, irritability and the general feeling that life's just plain dull and no fun.

150 mgs of Effexor is pretty much working only on serotonin, so if it turns out not to be the right med for you, there are lots of others to try. If you take a look at the Fix Me Now, Dammit section, under SSRIs, you will find a pinned topic about the relative stimulation profiles of all the SSRIs. That will give you an idea of your options.

Get an appointment with your doc. Talk about the goods and bads of Effexor, AND DO NOT leave out the part about quitting pot at the same time. It's germane to what's going on with your head at the moment.

At this point, you know you're a responder. You just have to find the one that's going to work for you.

(And, by the way, if you're switching from Effexor to another SSRI, the withdrawal is much less icky. Also, the withdrawal symptoms affect less than half of people taking it.)

Keep posting. Let us know how you're doing.

Greeny

Guest kurt p

thank you all for your advice.

i am taking it not only for depression, but for anxiety.  it has done NOTHING For anxiety though, and i dont even know if its supposed to.

i am not really a person who has been "too crazy," that sounds like im slamming people who are, but my issues are relatively insignificant i would say.  its never gone beyond really disturbing thoughts...

i was given valium, actually klonopin by the doctor as well, but i was kind of a druggy and i sent those all up my nose (i know how horrible this is and i dont plan on doing it again) 

but anyways, i think im going to talk to the doctor about quitting it.  although i ahve been unable to feel, and some other crazy shit (such as the sexual dysfunction, the only orgasms ive had in the last 3 weeks have been nocturnal emissions, and im only 19 so this should not the be case) .  but yeah, i need to  get off of it, i dont want to be taking anything else but i think i may have to.  i do feel that the effexor has allowed me to stop "freaking out" about my problems... and view them logically and think about how to fix them logically

for instance, right now, i am in portland seeing if its a place where id like to live eventually in my life.  I like it a whole lot better than where im from (mid missouri) and this is not something i would have ever been motivated enough to do without the effexor.  i feel like its given me the motivation to take hte first step, and after reading that its more difficult to quit than heroin??? yeah this is certainly not something i want to be putting in my body.  it was prescribed to me by a doctor who explained none of this to me as well after seeing me one time.... so yeah... maybe not such a great idea.  a friend of mine took it for several years and warned me about this as well, but i did not really care about anything other than not wanting to die when i woke up in the morning.

and as of tommorow, it will be 2 weeks since ive smoked pot... i still drink occassionally (well a little more than occassionally) but not past the point of being "tipsy" really.  earlier this year i had an iggypoplike apetite for drugs.. and thats starting to go away.....

what is really frustrating though is that my life is built around people who do drugs, or do not disapprove of drug usage.... so its a little frustrating to be trying to get out when my entire social circle does them... but i know that i need to...  i know that a pot addiction is a lot less severe than a lot of other things, but i feel that it kind of ruins me as a person.  it kills my ambition and makes me very content with sitting around doing nothing but eating potato chips and such.  i had been smoking multiple times daily for alittle more than a year, but am finally getting out of it.  i wish i could smoke recreationally, but i dont trust myself to not make it my life again.

anyways, this was kind of avent but someone encouraged me to do so, i think that when i gte back to my home in missouri, im going to register a username here, even if i dont take these meds , because this seems like a really neat community that really helps people out, thank you people who have said things to me so much, it means more to me than i can tell you.

and whoever quoted me 3 times, i dont get it??  yes.

ok, ive got to go now but ill check back in later, for sure, maybe even in a thread other than my own.

kurt.

kurt -

It's unclear from your post whether the person who prescribed Effexor for you was a general practitioner (regular doctor, GP) or a psychiatrist (pdoc).  Effexor is pretty potent stuff (I get to enjoy 150mg a day ;) ) and could definitely explain some of the effects you're experiencing, especially the sexual side effects and the general lack of emotion.  The lack of emotion falls into the category of "which sucks less" -- is it better to feel no emotion, or emotions so negative you want to die?  It's a choice you have to make.

That said, there are a number of other antidepressants, and as Jerod points out, Effexor should probably be the last one tried.  If your prescriber is a GP, he may not be familiar enough with all the ins and outs of the medication to treat you effectively; you might want to ask for a referral to a psychiatrist, whose specialty these crazymeds are.

I have no experience with pot, but the fact that you've been combining "high doses" of it with a psychotropic medication _and alcohol_ (that being a bozo no-no) could produce who knows what kind of results.  You need to be straight up about the drugs and alcohol with your doctor so that the diagnosis and treatment are correct.

Do not attempt to drop your Effexor cold turkey.  Follow the instructions from your doctor, or from the CrazyMeds site on how to taper down slowly.  Discontinuation symptoms are awful if you drop it suddenly, as I know from experience.

You sound like you have a reasonably good head on your shoulders, but you need to steer clear of the people whose lifestyles drag you back to bad habits.

Do join us when you get back to Missouri.

Cerberus

I did effexor for 2 years and at the end it was doing me.Whats nice about it is that it takes the edge off but if you get high you probably notice that more.It seems to knock the sex out of males and women don't seem to get effected that way.Maybe effexor is a drug you take till you find the best thing for you.It was wierd because i could drink amazing amounts of booze and not get a buzz.that alone could spell trouble.  Find the best phycopharacologist you can some of them are turds so ask around.....remeber pot makes you more sensitive and that might not be real good now.   

hi kurt

i was prescribed effexor for depression and anxiety about 6 and a half months ago.  i wasn't sure at first because it didn't seem to be helping so we kept upping the dose.  i stayed at 150 for a couple months but then it kind of pooped out so i went up to 225.  that felt great for a week, then the bottom fell out again.  so i went up to 300.  and i've got to say.  it's working.  i've been feeling great.  it hasn't helped the anxiety much, but it's taken away a lot of the suicidal thoughts and i'm not falling to the depths anymore.  it took me a while to adjust to the new way of feeling.  at first i thought i wasn't feeling, like i was numb.  but then i realized that i just needed to look at things differently and allow myself to see the world from the new effexor-enhanced perspective.  i still take a fair share of klonopin to keep the nagging anxiety and panic at bay.  and it works.  it used to knock me out hard, but after about a month, the sedative effect wore off and the calming effect remained.  i don't go anywhere without my klonos.  geez, maybe THAT'S an addiction ;)   anyway, i guess i'm saying that you should definitely talk to your doc about how you've been feeling, but don't be afraid to give effexor a little more time.  maybe even an increase.  unless you've been feeling manic.  then get the hell off as soon as you can.  i feel hardcore being at 300mg, but i also feel better.  so for me, it's easy.  worry about the discontinuation later.  but for now, you'd have to pry it out of my fingers.  it works that well.

anyway, hope you're doing ok.  don't forget to tell your doc about all the variables.  and don't give up on effexor!  it just might do it for you, if you get the right adjunct.

good luck and keep us posted.

Sme

Guest Guest
for instance, right now, i am in portland seeing if its a place where id like to live eventually in my life.

Archived