CrazyBoards.org

Why can I not tolerate Lexapro 20 mg?!

Lexapro can be very sedating for some people, and it sounds like, at the higher dosage, it's just too sedating for you. If 10mg is helpful, but isn't doing the job completely, consider augmenting with something else, or switching to a different SSRI.

When I go to 20 mg I get exhausted, spacey, and seemingly more depressed. I can't make it past the first week. I've tried a couple different times. 10 mg helped me right away so what's going on? P.S. I'm currently on no other meds...

Pill splitters should work on Lexapro. Have you talked to your doctor about going to 15 mg for a while instead of doubling directly from 10 to 20?

I couldn't tolerate 5mg of Lexapro, so at least it works for you!

Why did you increase the dosage? I agree with the above posts: get a pill splitter and try 15mg. There's a natural tendency to follow the standard dosages that pills come in, but sometimes a dosage in between those standard dosages is ideal for someone. I take a weird dosage of Effexor (112.5mg/day) because that seems to be the sweet spot for me. Much above that and I feel drugged out, too much below that and anxiety kicks in. As with every med, you will respond differently than other people.

I was also exhausted, out of it, and very very aloof on Lexapro 20mg. I had tried lower dosages at first, but it didn't work for me because I was just really anxious and had crying spells all the time. That's why I was pretty surprised when I weaned off of it and seemed to actually feel better without the drug. I had more energy and I didn't feel as depressed either. But I was at home then, at a stress-free place which I'm sure that was one reason I felt better. Now I'm trying generic Zoloft and I'm feeling again like a super introverted anxious zombie ;). But I hope this is only an initial side effect as this is only my second day on this drug. Sometimes I think for me antidepressants only work for my panic attacs, and they actually make my depression and lethargy worse. I hope so much Zoloft would work because I just can't be like this :).

I was also exhausted, out of it, and very very aloof on Lexapro 20mg. I had tried lower dosages at first, but it didn't work for me because I was just really anxious and had crying spells all the time. That's why I was pretty surprised when I weaned off of it and seemed to actually feel better without the drug. I had more energy and I didn't feel as depressed either. But I was at home then, at a stress-free place which I'm sure that was one reason I felt better. Now I'm trying generic Zoloft and I'm feeling again like a super introverted anxious zombie ;) . But I hope this is only an initial side effect as this is only my second day on this drug. Sometimes I think for me antidepressants only work for my panic attacs, and they actually make my depression and lethargy worse. I hope so much Zoloft would work because I just can't be like this :) .

Two days is way too early to determine the effectiveness of a medication. Also, if you suffer from anxiety, many SSRIs can make you initially feel more anxious before their anti-anxiety effects take hold.

I was also exhausted, out of it, and very very aloof on Lexapro 20mg. I had tried lower dosages at first, but it didn't work for me because I was just really anxious and had crying spells all the time. That's why I was pretty surprised when I weaned off of it and seemed to actually feel better without the drug. I had more energy and I didn't feel as depressed either. But I was at home then, at a stress-free place which I'm sure that was one reason I felt better. Now I'm trying generic Zoloft and I'm feeling again like a super introverted anxious zombie ;). But I hope this is only an initial side effect as this is only my second day on this drug. Sometimes I think for me antidepressants only work for my panic attacs, and they actually make my depression and lethargy worse. I hope so much Zoloft would work because I just can't be like this :).

So AD's work for your panic attacks but make anxiety worse? Or do you get anxious at first, followed by lethargy and panic suppression?

Zoloft and Paxil are the two big anti-anxiety AD's.. so if you're going to get help from them on that front, you're on the right one to try. Zoloft helped anxiety in me, but didn't do anything else mood-wise. But then again, I'm not responsive to AD's.

Sorry for being all "me, me, me!" in this thread ;) .

Two days is way too early to determine the effectiveness of a medication. Also, if you suffer from anxiety, many SSRIs can make you initially feel more anxious before their anti-anxiety effects take hold.

I know the anxiety (and weird enought numbness at the same time) could be just an initial side effect. I'm being way too impatiant. I was just feeling so hopeless yesterday.

So AD's work for your panic attacks but make anxiety worse? Or do you get anxious at first, followed by lethargy and panic suppression?

Zoloft and Paxil are the two big anti-anxiety AD's.. so if you're going to get help from them on that front, you're on the right one to try. Zoloft helped anxiety in me, but didn't do anything else mood-wise. But then again, I'm not responsive to AD's.

AD's, at least fluoxetine and Lexapro, seem to surpress my panic attacks and I didn't feel anymore like everyone was staring at me. I should've mentioned that the anxiety I suffer from is social anxiety. AD's I've tried helped with what I mentioned, but also made me feel somehow more introverted and disconnected. Also more lethergic and unmotivated. I was still sad all the time. And I was still anxious enough to keep ruminating what negative things people would think about me, just not so anxious/feeling stared that I'd actually get a panic attack. Anyway I kept isolating myself and avoiding people (even my flatmates which is kind of hard) and feeling bad. My life has gone downhill. Upping the dosages didn't help.

Thanks for the info! I hope so much Zoloft would help.

I should've mentioned that the anxiety I suffer from is social anxiety. AD's I've tried helped with what I mentioned, but also made me feel somehow more introverted and disconnected. Also more lethergic and unmotivated. I was still sad all the time. And I was still anxious enough to keep ruminating what negative things people would think about me, just not so anxious/feeling stared that I'd actually get a panic attack.

Ok, that makes alot more sense. It really sounds like a mood-type thing, along with the ruminations. If you get the AD effect to work, that should help out a great deal. You can also ultimately try Risperdal (an atypical anti-psychotic med) for the ruminations. It's really helped me on that front. I think it's probably too major a med to take (just for that) just yet.. but it is something to keep in mind.

AD's, at least fluoxetine and Lexapro, seem to surpress my panic attacks and I didn't feel anymore like everyone was staring at me. I should've mentioned that the anxiety I suffer from is social anxiety. AD's I've tried helped with what I mentioned, but also made me feel somehow more introverted and disconnected. Also more lethergic and unmotivated. I was still sad all the time. And I was still anxious enough to keep ruminating what negative things people would think about me, just not so anxious/feeling stared that I'd actually get a panic attack. Anyway I kept isolating myself and avoiding people (even my flatmates which is kind of hard) and feeling bad. My life has gone downhill. Upping the dosages didn't help.

Thanks for the info! I hope so much Zoloft would help.

I can relate very, very well to the symptoms you describe as well as the effects those meds had on you so I feel for you. It comes down to just trying meds usually. Make sure you are informed about how they work on your brain chemistry and keep a journal about effects you feel from them. You will find something that helps, just dont expect a 100% cure all with no side effects.

I've been on lexapro for a good while because it helps with my panic attacks alot but the negative things you've described (which ive also been feeling) are making me want to try and find a different med route as well.

Archived