CrazyBoards.org

Since I've been out of the hospital I've not been eating

I've been out of the hospital for just under two weeks now. Before I went in I wasn't eating much, maybe a smoothie or a salad, and when I went in I stopped eating because the food was....well...hospital food, and now, as much as I'd like to try to eat something I can't seem to make it happen. I've lost 12 lbs and I'm very weak. Yet I have no appetite. None. Has this hapened to anyone else with a med change or after hospitalization?

anorexia has its own set of symptoms such as distorted body image, losing a certain % of body weight, losing your period, etc. it doesn't sound, based on what you said, like you are anorexic.

i bet they changed your meds, or your body is reacting to one of your meds. i lost 40-50lbs when my pdoc took away Z and gave me Adderall (he replaced Z with Risp at the time and took away Strattera to give me Adderall). there were other factors in my weight loss, such as joining Weight Watchers and going to the gym, but i'm sure the med change was a big factor. i also took topamax for awhile and he upped my WB. so, med changes (and in my case purposeful weight control efforts) made me lose quite a bit of weight. i'm 115lbs now, and my weight fluxuates between 110-120 (this is annoying because i have to have "big" and "small" clothes!).

but to answer your question about the hospital, if you were on this trend before hospitalization, then it makes sense you'll continue the trend. you're just not hungry. if it's a problem, you could ask your pdoc about if Zyprexa would be right for you or Seroquel, because both are nice for weight gain (grumble).

I also have big and small clothes. When I was prescribed Wellbutrin last year, I was smoking and had gotten a little larger than all of my clothes but refused to buy "fat pants". I lost 30 lbs and quit smoking. Most of that willpower was the Wellbutrin. When I went off it of my own accord, due to rage, I gained most of it back over Thanksgiving (US) and Christmas. Since then, I've been working on it. I'm finally back to around 180, so all my thin clothes fit and a belt can make the medium ones work too.

When I was voluntarily starving myself, back in July and August of 2006, I never had some kind of, what's it called, dismorphic (?) ideas about my body. Sure, I had lil saddlebags, and I'll never get rid of this gut, but I don't hate my body. So it's not anorexia.

Once you get used to not eating, your body will stop wanting food. Sometimes the only thing to do is to just force yourself to eat until your body catches back up.

I didn't eat in my first year of college because I didn't have the money.. and it took me awhile before I could eat a full meal again. Let alone, actually be hungry for one.

Just another 'reassurance'

anorexia is what others described

meds play a huge part in eating I think

ones I have now I'm loosing too much

ssri etc I definitely ate a lot and had to buy different size

proud owner of 3 different size clothes

no wonder my choices suck when getting dressed

Yea agree belts are great!

Archived