CrazyBoards.org

Too much norepinephrine?

I've recently read that L-tyrosine works to produce more Dopamine along with Norepinephrine. I'm currently researching Dopamine meds to try.. and was wondering exactly how strong a nor. infulence L-tryosine has. Specifically, if a stimulant + TCA/Cymbalta/Effexor + L-tyrosine would be overkill?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Specifically, if a stimulant + TCA/Cymbalta/Effexor + L-tyrosine would be overkill?

Depends on how much of each you take and how easy it is to tip you into bipolar (hypo)mania.

Me: adderall + desipramine + d,l-phenethylamine + caffeine + DHEA + mucuna pruriens (1-3/week)

How are you timing the mucuna pruriens? (time-contingent or prn)

PRN, normally - trigger is just the wrong feeling of exhaustion or dis-ease. Too frequently and my motor control goes slightly off the next morning.

(No family history of PD in case you were wondering. )

Completely unmedicated - nearly every night, as it made it a whole lot easier to wake up in the morning

without spending a couple of minutes stumbling around and trying to catch my breath.

The second week on a trial of Lexapro - nightly so I could even sit in a chair let alone go to sleep. As you can guess,

SSRIs, and APs are not on the candidate list if the desipramine fails out.

(No family history of PD in case you were wondering. )

Yup, was just about to ask.

It seems like there's a fair amt of variance in how m. pruriens is metabolized - so I've heard some horror stories from QD use, but QOD use being OK, etc. The prn dosing makes the most sense of anything I've heard.

Thanks for the information and the psychic anticipation of questions... Appreciated.

I'm taking all that plus strattera.

Thanks! That also answers my question about combining Strattera and a stimulant in another post..

Depends on how much of each you take and how easy it is to tip you into bipolar (hypo)mania.

Me: adderall + desipramine + d,l-phenethylamine + caffeine + DHEA + mucuna pruriens (1-3/week)

Not likely. The BP NOS is about the nature of how I switch from depressed to severely depressed without ever getting my head above a low baseline. To me, mania is a differential to strive for.

So.. I've read mention here that Trazodone can produce Dopamine, and of course L-tyrosine.. I hadn't heard of the mucauna pruriens before. Assuming that the info on Trazodone is correct, which would be more conducive; and why?

Trazodone+L-Tyrosine+Mirapex ..or

Mucuna Pruriens+Mirapex?

I'm thinking of combining a dopamine producer along with a re-uptake inhibitor and seeing how that works for my depression, since I know that strategy worked well when I needed to raise norepinephrine.. Or is there another good combination that I'm not thinking of?

Also, back on the norepinephrine front.. could adding L-Tyrosine for that purpose be beneficial (higher-functioning or attention wise) before or instead of adding Strattera?

• 1 month later...

I took straterra for a while but stopped taking it because of its sexual side effects. Some time later I started taking l-tyrosine and vitamin c (C is needed to convert L-t into DA and NE) and after a few weeks noticed a scaled down version of the same side effects straterra caused. Namely, difficulty maintaining an erection and abnormal orgasm. My attention isn't so hot, but straterra didnt really work for me anyway. It did cause me to get up early though, something that this new combination has not done at all. I'd rather sleep in now.

Another interesting thing I've come upon is Yohimbe. It's supposed to be a sexual stimulant of some sort. It's sold as that becuase it causes your blood vessels to dilate and let more blood in... at the same time it releases lots of NE and some other chems.. This stuff was a bit of a shock the first time, but I guess I shouldn't have taken two pills instead of one. I was certainly focused though and didn't wanna sit around all day and day dream.

I'm taking all that plus strattera.

Thanks! That also answers my question about combining Strattera and a stimulant in another post..

Not likely. The BP NOS is about the nature of how I switch from depressed to severely depressed without ever getting my head above a low baseline. To me, mania is a differential to strive for.

So.. I've read mention here that Trazodone can produce Dopamine, and of course L-tyrosine.. I hadn't heard of the mucauna pruriens before. Assuming that the info on Trazodone is correct, which would be more conducive; and why?

Trazodone+L-Tyrosine+Mirapex ..or

Mucuna Pruriens+Mirapex?

I'm thinking of combining a dopamine producer along with a re-uptake inhibitor and seeing how that works for my depression, since I know that strategy worked well when I needed to raise norepinephrine.. Or is there another good combination that I'm not thinking of?

Also, back on the norepinephrine front.. could adding L-Tyrosine for that purpose be beneficial (higher-functioning or attention wise) before or instead of adding Strattera?

Archived