First appointment with Pdoc...kinda scared

Hey Guys,

I've got my first ever appointment with a Pdoc on Tuesday and I'm kinda nervous.  My GP already diagnosed me with GAD...but I wonder if I don't have more going on than that.  I've been not right in the head for a long time, and I don't know what to expect at my appointment. 

I've got a short-term disability claim riding on this appointment as well...my doc took me off work because he didn't think I was mentally stable enough to be dealing with it, but the private company that handles short-term claims denied my claim, and now I need to appeal with backing from a Pdoc. I doubt it'll be a problem because I think I'm a pretty clear cut case of GAD at least, but I'm worried he won't support me.  Or worse, I'm afraid he'll find me totally crazy or something!

The thing I'm most afraid of though, is that he's going to try and push anti-depressants on me.  I've had horrible luck with them so far and have tried quite a few, and have a family history of trouble with anti-ds.  Both my parents had really bad reactions on TCAs and SSRIs.  I finally weaned myself off the Effexor and feel much better off of it, and am managing the anxiety with benzos.  I just don't want him to try and push another SSRI because if I refuse (which I will) I'm afraid he'll say I'm being uncooperative in which case my appeal will definately be denied.

Thanks for listening to my rambling, any advice or just ideas of what to expect would be great ;)

Kelly

If he's not an idiot and he has proof (medical records, old PI sheets) that you've taken these things before and that they did not work, then I don't see a problem.

Of course, this could say a lot more about my imagination than it does about your doctor.

Hi, Greengal,

The anticipation is far worse than the actual appointment. The first appointment is usually a long one, about an hour, and will go through why you are there, your history, family history, medication history and then discussion about where to go from there.

You might want to make a list of the psych meds you've taken in the past, at what dosage, when and for how long. If you didn't like them, be able to state clearly and concisely why.

Be thorough and clear about your symptoms and give him permission to talk with your GP.

I was really nervous about my first appointment, too, but it turned out to be a huge relief to talk to a doctor who understood this shit and could actually develop a plan to manage it.

Hope your appointment goes well and that you post about how it went.

Greeny

Thanks for the advice. I think the problem is that I actually have seen 1 pdoc before (I had totally forgotten about it) and he wasn't helpful at all.  He was supposed to be evaluating me for an ED, and he just basically pushed SSRIs despite my protestations.  Then he told me he couldn't take me on as a patient as I wasn't sick enough, gave me a script and referred me to a free clinic for counselling ;)   Not the best experience.

Archived