Generic v Brand in the UK

On the NHS you just take what you are given.  I have been on paroxetine, sertraline, venlafaxine and fluoxetine.  Only sertraline and venlafaxine have come with a brand name. 

My doctor said that the generics are identicle to the branded versions, and usually come of the same factory floors.  I am unaware of the law over here (despite being in law school - I should look it up sometime, I know!) with regard to the standard of generics, but should I trust my doctors advice?

Saying that, the generic fluoxetine that I got was top notch.

There's some stuff on crazymeds.us about this, that kind of indicates that it may be a bit of a lottery. But it also points out that even brand names drugs are a lottery, given the levels of efficacy needed to satisfy the FDA (like better than 20% positive reaction means you get a license).

I've had different versions of stuff on subsequent prescriptions: the latest oddball one is blackcurrant flavoured lamictal...

On the NHS you just take what you are given.  I have been on paroxetine, sertraline, venlafaxine and fluoxetine.  Only sertraline and venlafaxine have come with a brand name. 

My doctor said that the generics are identicle to the branded versions, and usually come of the same factory floors.  I am unaware of the law over here (despite being in law school - I should look it up sometime, I know!) with regard to the standard of generics, but should I trust my doctors advice?

Saying that, the generic fluoxetine that I got was top notch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the United Kingdom Department of Health Generic Drug page, complete with generic medicines legislation.

Enjoy.

Archived