How do *you* know you ate the wrong thing on MAOIs

You might be suffering from orthostatic hypotension rather than the 'cheese effect'. Orthostatic hypotension is when the blood pressure falls when one stands up. With the fall in blood pressure upon standing blood rushes from the brain and one is light headed. The remedy for the sudden drop of blood pressure when one stands up is to lie down which returns the blood pressure to normal. I was on Nardil for awhile and had tremendous problems with orthostatic hypotension.

If you continue to feel a need to lie down you really should buy an electronic blood pressure kit so you can very that orthostatic hypotension is the problem. If you take the blood pressure say at the grocery store when sitting down you will erroneously come to the conclusion that all is fine as the blood pressure is normal sitting down.

Another term for orthostatic hypotension is postural hypotension.

I'm on Parnate and I haven't had any real events. The primary symptom of making a mistake with the MAOI diet is an occiptal headache, a headache at the back lower part of your head, because of the increase in blood pressure.

If you think you're having a reaction, you need to go to the hospital -- it's nothing to fool around with -- do to that death side effect (although it is fairly rare).

I'd suggest you get a blood pressure cuff so you can check what your blood pressure is doing. I have one at home, so I have a set of 'normal' readings I can compare to any kind of a problem.

By the way, I eat yogurt, sour cream, and avocado without any trouble.

Fiona

Also I believe there is a pill that can be taken immediately upon experiencing the headache which should abort the incident. Or at least this is what I have heard. The pill is carried around just for emergencies.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's at least one med that will immediately and drastically reduce your blood pressure that people sometimes keep on hand for this. Using it when your pressure is not dangerously elevated is, however, quite unhealthy in itself (just how low do you want your blood pressure to be anyway?). I don't carry any of them.

Fiona

Thanks for the info.  I got two presents today.  My medic alert bracelet arrived and I got a home blood pressure kit.  My wife and I have agreed to start taking blood pressure before and after every dinner until we get this figured out.

I really want this to work because so far Nardil has been quite amazing for me.  I am actually starting to sleep at night (compared to the 2 to 4 hours I would normally get) and my dreams are less ... troubling.

Thanks for the info.  I got two presents today.  My medic alert bracelet arrived and I got a home blood pressure kit.  My wife and I have agreed to start taking blood pressure before and after every dinner until we get this figured out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep in mind that there are other foods that can raise your blood pressure -- such as salt -- without any danger. It's a sudden rapid rise that's what you need to watch for here. If you have a space where you feel lousy, you should take your blood pressure then. And as Quixote says, take it laying down and then stand up and take it again immediately (don't wait for your head to clear) to see if it's orthostatic.

Fiona

Archived