Got a promotion!, from depression to Bipolar

Hi Everyone,

Looks like this is my new home.  About 2 years ago I finally got the nerve up to talk with my Doctor about feeling depressed.  Since then I have been on a few different medications:

Effexor (Can't remember the dosage, about a horse pills worth.)

Welbutrin (Made me meaner than usual)

Cymbalta (Pretty much the same as the Effexor.)

Anyway nothing so far has done much for me.  So I went back to the Doctor about a week ago and I try and explain to him what my symptoms are in the 30 seconds that he has available. such as:

No desires.

Mood swings.

Walking Zombie, etc...

So he says goes and gets me this questionar to fill out. Bipolar Questionar

After checking it over he said I might have Bipolar Disporder and should take these samples and call him in two weeks. (Symbyax 6/25)

So its been two weeks, after a bunch of phone tag he phones in another 30 day perscription for Symbyay (6mg  Olanzapine, 25mg Fluoxetine) So far nothing significant except that it seems as if my tounge has grown to large for my mouth and at time I have a rough time talking. (Jumbled up words.)

So that was about it.. and thats why I am here. So I guess I have a few questions if you all would not mind:

I usually do not have many high points (or over eagerness.) that they seemed to point to in the questionare. Mostly just lows.  I do tend to be impulsive, and don't always think things through. (oh yea this was supposed to be a question.) Is this a common thing with BP?

I am reading that there are different types of BP, how do I tell what I am?

Thanks for your time, the people here kick ass!

-Foggy

Good question and I'm interested in other people response.

I got promoted to Bipolar two when I went into my doctors office and talked 90 miles a minute.  I was hypo-manic as a result of a medication which actually makes me Bi-polar IV which leads me to wonder if I'm really bi-polar at all but the Pdoc says it doesn't matter what the cause of the hypomania is.  If I have hypomania and depression I'm bipolar.  Interesting.  I have much more depression than I do hypo mania.  The mood stabilizer Tryleptil has helped me alot.  I feel a tiny bit hypomanic though with all this posting....something to report..or not  :-) No, bad, bad, girl!!

Rhonda

well, as is so often said, the dx is less important than treating the symptoms. if nothing else has worked so far, it might be worth giving another mood stabilizer a try. since the zyprexa left you leaden, the best one i can think of for bp depression is lamictal, which by the way is activating for many, myself incuded. otherwise, there are many other ad's that you can try, maoi, trycyclic, etc. not all work for everyone. impulsiveness is a symptom (so is intense goal-directed activity) but wouldn't warrant a bp dx by itself. do you have alot of high energy anxiety/irritability? maybe your mania is of the dysphoric variety. hope it works out for you.

Foggy,

I want to welcome you to the boards! I took the test and guess what? I'm BP! Just kidding. I knew that already. One thing BPs can be is impulsive. But you will need your Pdoc to give you the DX. I think if you looked at the DSM IV, you can get a better idea of the different DXs. Just Google DSM IV.There are several for BP and it also goes over major depression.

Best of luck to you and come back and let us know how you are doing.

and here I am waiting with baited breath for my appt with my pdoc for an eval for BP...

and I'm not a happy camper about it. ;)

I just want to stick with what I know/am familiar with--yeah, I know about the dx not being as important as treatment and feeling better, but it still does not feel good/comfortable.

I'm too old for this! :)

Spike

I was in the same boat.  Chronicly low for years.  Hypomania for me was more like, not depressed.  At 33y.o. I hit the mania.  Thats finding out the hard way.  Try lamictal or good ol' lithium I would think.  Treatmen is the Dx.

BTW, my Questionnaire Results, before mania hit me.

Your responses do not meet the criteria that suggest a diagnosis of bipolar disorder.

Print your responses by clicking the print button at the bottom of the page.

Your responses to the Mood Disorder Questionnaire:

1. Has there ever been a period of time when you were not your usual self and...

you felt so good or so hyper that other people thought you were not your normal self or you were so hyper that you got into trouble? No

you were so irritable that you shouted at people or started fights or arguments? No

you felt much more self-confident than usual? Yes

you got much less sleep than usual and found you didn't really miss it? No

you were much more talkative or spoke much faster than usual? No

thoughts raced through your head or you couldn't slow your mind down? No

you were so easily distracted by things around you that you had trouble concentrating or staying on track? Yes

you had much more energy than usual? Yes

you were much more active or did many more things than usual? No

you were much more social or outgoing than usual, for example, you telephoned friends in the middle of the night? Yes

you were much more interested in sex than usual? No

you did things that were unusual for you or that other people might have thought were excessive, foolish, or risky? No

spending money got you or your family into trouble? No

2. If you checked YES to more than one of the above, have several of these ever happened during the same period of time? Yes

3. How much of a problem did any of these cause you - like being unable to work; having family, money or legal troubles; getting into arguments or fights? No Problem

4. Have any of your blood relatives (children, siblings, parents, grand parents, aunts, uncles) had manic-depressive illness or bipolar disorder? No

5. Has a healthcare professional ever told you that you have manic-depressive illness or bipolar disorder? No

Archived