another taser story

Its always sad when anyone loses their life. However, we are going through a media frenzy of taser reporting, that is not reflective of the truth. The taser devices provide a policeman with a way to subdue a person with less likelyhood of injury to both the person and the cop.

We are hearing of a few deaths a year with the tasers. But for every death, a taser has been used thousands of times with no deaths. Without tasers, every incident would have begun with a physical altercation, with fear and danger of death for both the suspect and the cop. If the suspect had a weapon of any sort the danger would only be higher. The statisticians can probably tell us how many shootings, stabbings, deaths, hospitalizations have been prevented by using tasers.

Nonetheless, an attention-getting jolt of electricity is never an alternative to good judgement and competent policing.

a.m.

thanks, AM. you were really the voice of reason on that one.

i wasn't thinking about only having the worst cases reported.... and all the times tasers have probably been used for the good of others. and i agree, i'd rather a cop pull a taser on me than a gun.

truthfully, until i got a little paranoid this morning, i always wanted a taser for myself (to hide in my pocket hehe). i'd feel so much safer.... i might even walk alone through my neighbourhood at night!

is there anything else out there (that the cops use) that's equivalent to a taser? something temporarily paralyzing but not fatal (usually)? all i can think of is mace, and it's not legal to carry that either unless you're a cop. phooey. i want a non-lethal weapon (that sounds like a Mel Gibson spoof) that doesn't depend on my physical size ;)

- lysergia

is there anything else out there (that the cops use) that's equivalent to a taser? something temporarily paralyzing but not fatal (usually)?

Well there's this, though I doubt you'll get your hands on one of these babies in the near future... It basically works like a microwave - the rays penetrate your skin, giving you symptoms of sunburn like headache and dizziness, but without actually burning your skin.

I dread the day the police force gets hold of this for using in large protests and stuff...

They only recently allowed the police to use maze in my country - saying it was a subtitute for the gun (as a way of protecting themselves from a life-threatening situation, without actually hurting other individuals). So far, they're using the maze like fifteen times more often than they used the gun previously - which suggests to me that they really can't handle having this new toy of theirs.

hehehe lost ;) don't even have to carry accessories for that one....

gradday.... yikes that weapon is scary! and yeah, its potential for use on large crowds? *shivers*

sorry your police force is going bananas with the mace though.

-lysergia

Archived