ADD law student

I am in law school at the moment about to go into my third year.  I have been very successful up until now but it has been a struggle.  Last term I did not go to one lecture!  I get all of my knowledge from textbooks and I can only work in 15 minute bursts.  Going to lectures is a pointless excercise since I so easily drift off - I just have to stay home all day and slowly work through the material.  This next term comming up will count towards my honours and it is vitali that I do well because I plan to practice professionally.

My psychiatrist has diagnosed me with tourettes and he thinks, along with my therapist, that I have ADD.  We have not talked about a way to medicate this before because we were concentrating on other problem areas.

If I am to take something I will probably only take the meds when I am comming up to exams.

I suffer badly from anxiety as well, so perhaps some of the ADD drugs would make this worse?

I have a lot of reading to do on the subject, but for now, would somebody point me in the right direction.  I have no idea of the usual procedure for treating this disorder.

Cheers.

Some of the ADHD drugs---the psychostimulants---could make the anxiety and tics worse.

Perhaps Wellbutrin and Strattera would be alternatives to the psychostimulants.

Or maybe a psychostimulant plus Catapres (clonidine).

I would try adderall or if you can get it dexadrine, I would be worried that it might make your tourettes worse, but I think its worth a shot.  You should at least give it a try.  It might make your anxiety worse but it might make it better by increasing your self confidence and giving you a nice buzz.  Lets admit it guys these drugs can give you a nice kick. ;)  

• 2 weeks later...

I was a law student with ADD myself- graduated in May. Skipped many, many classes also. I did okay with Ritalin- now on Provigil. No luck with Strattera. Just one of those things where you have to try them and see how they work, IME.

Archived