comparing seroquel and risperdal

I have been on seroquel for a couple of months. Started out at12.5mg. Now at 250-275mg/ day. It hadbeen helping with rage and agitation, which is what I take it for, and everytime i started having rage issues, my pdoc would have me increase. Last week , I had excessive rage, which is really bad cause I have 2 little ones at home to take care of. My 3yr old is at that testing phase and so is my 5 yr old. Really hard to deal with. The hardest thing to deal with is noises. I am way too sensitive to noises and not just my very loud kids. TV, repetitive noises, loud barking. I read alot about risperdal and it seems like it is a good ap to deal with sensory issues and rage. I was thinking about trying risperdal in lieu of seroquel or as a teeny little add-on.

Anybody have experience or knowledge to share?

Thanks, mel

The AIDSmeds Check My Meds page says to watch out for anticholinergic intoxication syndrome:

Moderate Drug-Drug Interaction:  Seroquel (quetiapine) and Risperdal (risperidone)

MONITOR: Agents with anticholinergic properties (e.g., sedating antihistamines; antispasmodics; neuroleptics; phenothiazines; skeletal muscle relaxants; tricyclic antidepressants; class IA antiarrhythmics especially disopyramide) may have additive effects when used in combination. Excessive parasympatholytic effects may result in paralytic ileus, hyperthermia, heat stroke, and the anticholinergic intoxication syndrome. Peripheral symptoms of intoxication commonly include mydriasis, blurred vision, flushed face, fever, dry skin and mucous membranes, tachycardia, urinary retention, and constipation. Central symptoms may include memory loss, disorientation, incoherence, hallucinations, psychosis, delirium, hyperactivity, twitching or jerking movements, stereotypy, and seizures. Central nervous system-depressant effects may also be additively or synergistically increased when these agents are combined, especially in elderly or debilitated patients. Use of neuroleptics in combination with other neuroleptics or anticholinergic agents may increase the risk of tardive dyskinesia. MANAGEMENT: Caution is advised when agents with anticholinergic properties are combined, particularly in the elderly and those with underlying organic brain disease, who tend to be more sensitive to the central anticholinergic effects of these drugs and in whom toxicity symptoms may be easily overlooked. Patients should be advised to notify their physician promptly if they experience potential symptoms of anticholinergic intoxication such as abdominal pain, fever, heat intolerance, blurred vision, confusion, and/or hallucinations. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness until they know how these agents affect them. A reduction in anticholinergic dosages may be necessary if excessive adverse effects develop.

Keeping in mind that there's at least one person on this board who has to take three antipsychotics at once, I believe they're saying that it can be done, just very carefully.

i used to take risperdal 3mgs am and 3 pm. i was taking it along with lithium lamictal and serequel. the whole combination seemed to work out well for me. i didnt have any side effects when i started taking the risperdal and it did calm me down quite a bit. i get very agitated when it comes to noises as well and i have a hard time dealing with anything loud and when taking care of my daughter who is also 3. so yea i liked it

I was kind of wondering, more specifically, about switching from seroquel to risperdal. And will risperdal help me more with the sensory problems,which, for me, are quite intense sometimes. The seroquel doesn't seem to be helping enough for those. I don't really want to take both at the same time. mel

Guest Chryslin

I was kind of wondering, more specifically, about switching from seroquel to risperdal. And will risperdal help me more with the sensory problems,which, for me, are quite intense sometimes. The seroquel doesn't seem to be helping enough for those. I don't really want to take both at the same time. mel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I took Risperdal for a long time and now am on Seroquel. Actually, I think the Seroquel makes me MORE suseptable to the hearing sensitivity thing - it also makes me really sleepy so I only take it during high stress days and save it for sleep. Risperdal was more subtle in my opinion -- not as sleepy-making, but a dampening down of the rage and anger. I didn't notice a difference with my ADD with either -- but then, nothing seems to help that. Not even the Concerta I'm on now.

This probably isn't very helpful since I guess, in the end, it's different for everybody. Good luck.

Susan

I'm planning on going back to work in two weeks after not working for about 4 months (Med. leave-teacher-summers off ;) ).

I really need some advice. I see pdoc next week and I am thinking about asking about switching from seroquel to risperdal. I went on seroquel for rage, agitation, extreme irritability and noise intolerance. It's not working. So far, my pdoc has been telling me to increase the seroquel. It never helps. Sometimes, I think it makes me worse.

I could really use some feedback before I go to pdoc. Who is on Risperdal and does it help.? Side effects? Melissa

I love Seroquel because it calms my anxiety (at mega doses) but it is not useful for my tourettes or auditory hallucinations.  Risperdal was good for tourettes at 6mg but not good for hallucinations either.

I might try Haldol.

Guest Guest

I love Seroquel because it calms my anxiety (at mega doses) but it is not useful for my tourettes or auditory hallucinations.  Risperdal was good for tourettes at 6mg but not good for hallucinations either.

I might try Haldol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what is the "mega dose" of seroquel that helped calm your anxiety?  i'm on it now at 75mgs (slowly titrating up).  tonight i will up it to 100mgs.  so far, i haven't experienced much anxiety squelching (maybe a little).

I've never really had to deal with any sensory issues, but I love my Seroquel.  It helps with anxiety, and it stablilzes my moods and such.  I hated Risperdal, I gained a good 50lbs because it will increase your appetite like -that-.  It also didn't do anything for my anxiety.

Seroquel -does- have a very sleepy affect.  I'm on 1000mg of it, and I take 400 in the morning and 600 at night (5 pills = 200mg circle-pills).  The extra 200 really makes me sleep.  I'm actually going down on it because my pdoc said in some cases less = more.  It's weird, and I didn't really understand it.

All in all, I would go for Seroquel over Risperdal any day, but each person's reaction is different.

Guest Guest

I might try Haldol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what is the "mega dose" of seroquel that helped calm your anxiety?  i'm on it now at 75mgs (slowly titrating up).  tonight i will up it to 100mgs.  so far, i haven't experienced much anxiety squelching (maybe a little).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Around 900mg during the day will calm my anxiety.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

wow and you don't fall asleep from that?  that dose would knock me the f#@k out til next year!

Guest Guest

There is no point in combining APs except to add on Seroquel in small dosages to help with sleep or zombification is required to keep within the law. Alll typical APs are similiar in efficacy to other typical APs and all atypical APs are similiar in efficacy to other atypical APs exept Clozaril which has a greater efficacy than other atypical APs. All atypical antipsychotics basically antagonize dopamine D2 receptors and serotonin 5HT-2 receptors.  How each individual body handles each drug is a bit different but here dosage adjustments rather than adding on another AP are warranted. Even though all the APs help basically the same way all have different side-effect profiles. Some people just detest antcholinegic side-effects while others find such side-effects acceptable. Really if there is no complaint with side-effects one ups the dosage to the max and then one switches to another AP if there are still problems. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

For those who want Seroquel but can't afford it: Astroxenica, the makers of Seroquel has great programs for people with low income. (but not that low). We get ours free.

Do you have a link? I am in the process of switching off Seroquel onto Risperdal because I couldn't afford the seroquel...

The first time I was on risperdal it did give me a I-dont-care attitude which fit me just fine. Unfortunately it didnt work so good the second time however the side effects were gone also. Then I added seroquel which took care of the extra paranoia. the first time side effects for risperdal were foggy thinking, great hunger, restlessness and slight weight gain. So id say risperdal will suit you good just watch for the side effects.

Archived