Will Pdoc think I'm faking ...

I have really bad anxiety over seeing a Pdoc.  I've got my first visit tomorrow and am thinking that I should have a list of my main complaints/symptoms with me when I go because I tend to just ramble about one thing and then I'll miss something important.  He's evaluating me 3 sessions only and then can make a recommendation for a permananent doc, and he needs to evaluate me for my disability claim, so I have to be sure I cover everything.

Do you guys think it's looks like I'm faking if I go in with a list or something?

Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly,

Absolutlely not. I have taken papers into my Pdoc that I have been seeing a long time because my memory is shit. Write that puppy and take it with you. Don't leave anything out no matter how small or insignificant you think it is.

Being new, you may think something isn't important when it actually may play a part in the big picture.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

P.S. If this is for disabilty, let him know everything. Like if you don't shower for days, you sleep 20 hrs a day, etc. Everything for disabilty will help your case.

Sondra

Kelly, I'm with Kablume.  I am one of the few people I know that received disability (I'm in Canada) on their first try. Most have had to try over and over again.  Even now, I write things down before I go to pdoc so I can just read them out to her without forgetting half of what I wanted to say.  She said it is a great help to her as well.  Stay well, Sulu

I made a three page list of symptoms for my GP when i asked for referral to a pdoc. They both thought it was a beneficial thing. it also showed my propensity to make lists and obsess over the finest detail of my symptoms/experience.

By all means, you are going for a very limited amount of time, to someone who is helping to form a case for you..

if however, you go in with a copy of the DSM criteria with appropriate things circled, or huge tracts of text from all sorts of websites, they might raise an eyebrow. be specific to yourself and concrete, wherever possible. i usually try to err on the side of more info than less, supposedly our brains are crazy, while theirs are trained to weed out the important stuff from shitloads of irrelevant information.

don't worry about faking. but i know the worry well; i'm always worried i haven't provided enough info, but i also worry that i'm embellishing to the point of malingering. blah.

good luck

;)

pj

Definitely do the list thing! But make your own list, and write down anything you think will be relevant. I do that sometimes with my regular doc, too, just because once you're there and sitting in the chair, everything just sorta flies out of your head! For me, it's the nerves that do it. And distractions.

I'm ALWAYS worried about coming off either TOO crazy, or worse, not enough!!!!! I hate that feeling. It's like you're trying to come across genuine, but I'm always worried i seem like I'm faking it or something. (thanks mom, ha ha ha ha ha.....*issues*)

LOL

Count me in as a member of the "Thanks, Mom" club  ;)   I always expect doctors and the like to not take me seriously, so I always wind up in that catch-22 frame of mind: Do I sound authentic?  What if I sound like I'm faking it?  Am I trying too hard to seem normal? 

It's enough to drive a person craaaaaaaazy, I say.  If they weren't already. 

Take the list because a good pdoc will understand that you're just nervous.  And let the pdoc know that you have trouble remembering things when you're nervous, or your memory just isn't up to par these days, if an explanation will put your mind at ease. 

Good luck! 

Archived