Upgrade to Bipolar 1!

I asked my pdoc what diagnosis he is treating me for. He said Bipolar, possible generalized anxiety disorder. Great. He said when I went into the hospital last month I was mixed and now I am depressed...but as time goes on, new symptoms could arise and current symptoms could change..so don't get stuck on the diagnosis.

Today I am going to ask my tdoc if she agrees.

Hey.

I was quite recently diagnosed Bipolar myself, but my pdoc feels very sure of my diagnosis. Before that I was diagnosed with dysthymia (light, constant depression). So I know how you feel. Please don't get stuck on the stigma surrounding the BP diagnosis. But your doctor is right about not getting stuck on one diagnosis. Diagnoses just a describe a group of symptoms, it doesn't perfectly describe one person.

Diagnoses just a describe a group of symptoms, it doesn't perfectly describe one person.

This is a really good point.  It's incredibly easy to focus on the label (I'm doing it myself at the moment)... but in all truthfulness, there is no "perfect" categorization.

I, too, was recently dxed BPII. After six years of being dxed with Depression,loaded up with SSRIS and basically turning into a yo-yo up down up down, I am HAPPY to be dxed Bipolar! FINALLY getting some meds that make me feel better! Also exlains a whole hell of a lot, as far as behavior and thoughts. Please don't fret about the label. It really only matters to your pdoc so she can start heading in the right direction with your meds. It need not define you.

Archived