Voc Rehab + SSDI

Guest Catherine

Guest Catherine

Hi -

I am hoping someone can give me thier opinion on this matter.

I am in a verbally/emotionall abusive living situation that is not good for my mental health. But I am also forced to stay here for now so I can get SSDI. I have my application in.

Two weeks ago or so, my Tdoc told me that she would refer me to voc rehab but she doesn't think I can work the way I am and she knows I am trying to get SSDI so that wouldn't be good.

Then yesterday, because I am having an increasingly difficult time living with my borderline mother, she told me that she would like to refer me to BVR and help me get some special housing. I asked her, "Well isn't this going to hurt my claim?" and she said no. She said in fact, it could even help my claim.

I did not think or have time to ask her how she knows or how many people she has worked with who had physical disabilities and MI who were applying for SSDI or how it actually "helped" them win thier SSDI claims.

The only way I could see this helping me is if they know what kinds of work I cannot do - which happens to be a lot of types and not for too many hours in a row and some days I will be completely unreliable. But it could help maybe find me a flexible job I coudl do enough to pay for this special housing while I wait for the decision on my claim if I get a good deal on it and not work too much.

What does anyone think of this? Thanks in advance for any insight or thoughts on this.

BTW - I am also not feeling very trusting of this tdoc. She is the same tdoc who has made a diagnosis of me that is totally preposterous and also told me when I first asked her, that I wasn't elligible to take thier anger management class and then yesterday told me I was and got me right in.

. But it could help maybe find me a flexible job I coudl do enough to pay for this special housing while I wait for the decision on my claim if I get a good deal on it and not work too much.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doing any type of meaningful/productive work while you are awaiting your SSDI application can actually work against you. During the review if they find out you have been working they may, in fact, say that you are capable of work and therefore are not disabled to the point that you can work now or in the future. One criteria for getting SSDI or SSI is that you must be found unfit to do any meaningful work at any job that exists in the nation's economy.

It is a Catch-22 of sorts when you need the money in order to get the proper treatment and living conditions that may help to improve your MI, but that is how the system works.

Erika

Guest Catherine

Thanks you guys. I thought that was the case and don't feel right about it  in my gut. This tdoc is going to sink me for sure. I dont' even know what to do . I left her a voicemail telling her I was not well enough to go to go to any voc rehab now and I would like her to not process the referral.

I have a feeling though I have gotten on her bad side or something by now. she has me totally diagnosed wrong as well which I have issues with.

I talk to my tdoc this Tuesday. Do you think I should write a note to be put in my file by my pdoc about what my concerns are about this therapist?

I want to write a note about how I don't want to see her again and why and how I feel about both her diagnosises of me and her suggestions and how they are or would be harmful to me.

Thanks.

Guest Catherine

Oops. I meant to say that i talk to my pdoc this Monday. Is it okay to ask for a second opinion from another therapist and to see another therapist at the county level? I think it should be.

the problem with the county system is that they try to put you in a treatment section of sorts and with that comes a lot of lables I think. I am not sure but i just get the feeling this is part of what happened to me.

Archived