OK, let me preface this by saying I smoked pot exactly once, like about 30 years ago, and I felt absolutely nothing.

That said, being on Seroquel is starting to feel like descriptions I've heard of being high. I'm relaxed, I can differentiate between the important and unimportant and let the unimportant go (which I was never able to do, even before I got sick), I can roll with things, I don't get panicky and pressured if I have a lot of things to do. I even get the munchies! I just feel laid back, cooled out, and generally good.

Now I'm not asking anyone to incriminate themselves, but is this what being a pothead is like? If it is, I wish I'd have kept on smoking it every freakin' day, because this is the first time in my life I'm smooth, chilled, and cool with things.

I wonder if Seroquel works on the same brain receptors as pot. Anybody else have the above happen to them? Just curious, because I'M LOVIN' IT!!

Like, stay stable everybody!

Jackee

I'm not sure where you got your ideas of how marijuana effects a person, but your descriptions sound idyllic and made me laugh. If being stoned made a person calm, relaxed and sharpened their judgement so they could let the unimportant things go, I'd say pass the doobie.

Marijuana can make a person feel calm and relaxed, but more often it can cause anxiety, irritation, and induce psychosis. This is especially true for people with mental illnesses. Marijuana makes me incredible self-conscious and uncomfortable, and often causes me to obsess about things; whether the things are actually important or not doesn't seem to matter.

For the past 30 years since you last smoked, marijuana has been hybridized and refined to increase the chemical compound that makes you feel high. There's no regulation over this, so from one bag to the next it can be mild and pleasant, or an incredible potent drug that can give a person a seriously bad trip. Some of us have been hospitalized after smoking it.

That said, Seroquel does contribute to relaxation, helps reduce obsessive thinking, and can make a person feel generally "good" if their natural state is one of annoying or torturous cyclic thoughts and insomnia. Plus, Seroquel is manufactured under strict FDA regulations so you always know what to expect from it.

I'm glad that Seroquel is working for you. Though I'd have to disagree that it is anything like marijuana!

Yeah, I've smoked enough pot in the past to know that seroquel is nothing like pot. But seroquel totally rocks for anxiety. It kicks the holy living shit out of anxiety. Seriously, if you suffer from anxiety you seriously might want think of trying it out.

Yeah, I've smoked enough pot in the past to know that seroquel is nothing like pot. But seroquel totally rocks for anxiety. It kicks the holy living shit out of anxiety. Seriously, if you suffer from anxiety you seriously might want think of trying it out.

I agree, because I've smoked pot and it really didn't do much for me. (Felt too uncomfortable with the room skipping whenever I turned my head. ;) )

OK, let me preface this by saying I smoked pot exactly once, like about 30 years ago, and I felt absolutely nothing.

That said, being on Seroquel is starting to feel like descriptions I've heard of being high. I'm relaxed, I can differentiate between the important and unimportant and let the unimportant go (which I was never able to do, even before I got sick), I can roll with things, I don't get panicky and pressured if I have a lot of things to do. I even get the munchies! I just feel laid back, cooled out, and generally good.

that's a pretty good description of what i feel like when i'm high. i don't get paranoid, i don't freak out. i'm just mellow and chill. things that have to get done are dealt with. compared to when i'm not, i'm pretty damned productive when i'm high. normally i detest cleaning, organizing etc etc etc. it feels like punishment to me - like when some poor army grunt does something stupid and has to clean latrines as punishment.

but when i smoke, things like vacuuming, laundry, dishes, mopping floors, cleaning up in general - are so easy and painless. they're just mindless things, but my life is a little less chaotic when they are done. i'm all for reducing the chaos!

i don't panic, i don't feel pressured etc etc. i really can't understand what it feels like to have a bad high. i've never had one. the closest i've ever been, and this is still pretty damned far from being a bad high, is being so incredibly high that i could barely talk. and it certainly didn't freak me out. because it was all good. speech wasn't necessary.

that having been said, i think my reactions to drugs (both illicit and legal - i've tried a lot of things and i don't regret them nor am i ashamed of having tried them) are not typical though.

lsd, psilocybin mushrooms, peyote, ecstasy - i've never hallucinated whilst under the influence of any of them. sure, i've been in altered states of mind, but what i mostly want to do at those times is sit by myself and read and write. the one or two times that i tried any of the above mentioned drugs with more than a few people, i went off by myself to chill with me. and i gave all a fair chance. HAH!

but bud? hell yeah. i think i would have been waaaaaaaay off the charts when i was in high school and college had i not smoked as often as i did. i went to class high, wrote papers high, gave thesis defenses high ... you name it. but it worked for me. and i really don't think that works for most people who attempt it. i could always focus really well and tear through school work whilst high.

at the same time, had i NOT experimented so much when i was younger, i probably would have been diagnosed sooner. in retrospect, i don't think it's odd that i was so willing to try things. i like to think it was an unconscious attempt to self medicate because my body was telling me that it needed SOMETHING to right itself. at that point in my life, there was no way in hell that i was going to talk to a tdoc or a pdoc. my obstinate, stubborn, independent, determined little self didn't NEED any help. she just didn't like people.

and bud now? have to admit, i still love it. mellows, calms etc. i know it's not prescribed in my cocktail (nor does my pdoc know that i smoke bud. i think the furthest he inquired into my experience with drugs was the perfunctory "do you do drugs?" question in the initial evaluation), but it benefits me.

and i know that's a somewhat controversial statement to make, but this is coming from years of experience. years of getting high a lot and years of never getting high at all. at ALL. 2 year stints without any thc in my body at all. and i had no craving for it. at that time i definitely did have thoughts of "damn. it would be great if i had a fat hog leg right now.", but it was a thought. it passed. i never felt compelled to hunt down bud or felt withdrawl when i didn't smoke.

i've tried a lot of different meds and cocktails and therapies since i decided to face my demons, and i feel the better on this regime than i have with any other cocktail. and yes, i regularly augment my meds with bud. and i don't feel that it interferes with anything.

perhaps that's why i don't feel the need to take my benzos so often. i hadn't considered that before.

anyway, that's my three and a half cents.

I always had good experiences with pot but seroquel has never turned me into a giggling, super bloodshot eyed, deeply analytical and nonstop rambling about the meaning of life fool like the cheeba has.

Well there is that.

Hmm...if I had to compare seroquel to a "street drug" I would say it's like being drunk and high at the same time. The crappy pot I used to smoke made me have major anxiety (to the point of panic attacks)...worry about crap that doesn't matter...and do things like count trees. But if I drank at the same time I had that whole "waaazzzzup" feeling you're talking about. But I wouldn't recommend either of the two to anyone. I think it was drugs that initially made me go "poof, you're bipolar now."

I wonder if Seroquel works on the same brain receptors as pot.

THC hits different receptors (that's why they're called "cannibinoid" receptors) but in the nucleus accumbens they apparently end up triggering dopamine release (NIH) and in turning activating the D2 receptors.

Seroquel directly antagonizes the D2 receptors it binds to (among other things it does.)

Basically, THC pushes the "Oh yeah!" button while Seroquel puts a child-proof cap over a busted (and maybe stuck) "Oh yeah!" button until someone can figure out how to fix it.

think that chronic ain't for everyone. i qualify for a ' grow license' inna state i live in. ain't going there. don't wanna have a couch named in my honor.

smokin modern day rope, ganja and shit, even though it makes that old time ditch weed pussy, still doesn't send my old hippy ass off to beddy bye like a little seroquel does.

nullotrooper- you got your shit goin on as always. nothing gets by you. except on those rare occasions when your mother board is all shut down and what not. the caucuses illustrate that no one really needs a functional board upstairs.

brenda girl sez: "I think it was drugs that initially made me go "poof, you're bipolar now." no arguement here! talk about contributing!

I used to smoke like a chimney,even though half the time it caused major panic attacks. Having a few, or more, beers helped quench that. This went on for years. I'm sure it exasperated my MI. When i stopped, whne i was preggo w/ my first kid, that is when i had to face up w/ my mi. say hello shithead to it. i was self medicating, plain and simple . I guess it worked for me most of the time, but I prefer seroquel any day of the week. There is nothing like it in the world that has ever calmed my mind and my anxiety and panic attacks. And if i still get panicky or extra anxiou, i can take somemore prn ser. ahhh.....

God bless seroquel.

This is very interesting to me. I wonder why pot has this reputation of mellowing people out when 9/10 of you guys say it does the opposite?

The majority of people who smoke pot do not have a psychiatric illness, psychological head-case or not, and the "reputation" comes from that majority experience.

Once you mix in bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, epilepsy, major depression, even ADHD and Tourette's, it's a whole new ballgame. That's one of the reasons we stress over and again to avoid illegal substances and be careful with the legal ones, because the rules and penalties change.

This is very interesting to me. I wonder why pot has this reputation of mellowing people out when 9/10 of you guys say it does the opposite?

The majority of people who smoke pot do not have a psychiatric illness, psychological head-case or not, and the "reputation" comes from that majority experience.

Once you mix in bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, epilepsy, major depression, even ADHD and Tourette's, it's a whole new ballgame. That's one of the reasons we stress over and again to avoid illegal substances and be careful with the legal ones, because the rules and penalties change.

Also, the hyper-hybridized marijuana of today contains far more THC than the pot of the 60's. The drug has evolved, but it has yet to shake the "chill-out" reputation it earned back then.

Archived