Alternate Treatments?

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know what doctors usually use to treat GAD and other panic disorders if they're not using anti-depressants (specifically SSRIs?).  Is there anything other than the benzos? I saw my pdoc for the first time today and he mentioned that he knows I'm unwilling to go the anti-depressant route again due to bad experiences, but made a comment about how there are some "alternatives." I would assume he's not talking benzos because most docs are really hesistant to give those to me...is there anything else?

Kelly

Well, if they're talking meds, there's things like Buspar....that's all i can think of right now......

If they mean therapy, well, that does help. Espcially Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, where you practice actual techniques and coping mechanisms to deal with your anxiety.

In addition to therapy, there are other medical treatments.

Some people find that beta-blockers are very useful, but the main drugs used for chronic anxiety disorders are ssri's and benzos.

Anti-psychotics are also useful in some cases - i personally take seroquel in addition to paxil for OCD, and it works well for me.

There are also a range of other drugs available.  To a search in www.crazymeds.us for more info.

Well, if they're talking meds, there's things like Buspar....that's all i can think of right now......

If they mean therapy, well, that does help. Espcially Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, where you practice actual techniques and coping mechanisms to deal with your anxiety.

In addition to therapy, there are other medical treatments.

Some people find that beta-blockers are very useful, but the main drugs used for chronic anxiety disorders are ssri's and benzos.

Anti-psychotics are also useful in some cases - i personally take seroquel in addition to paxil for OCD, and it works well for me.

There are also a range of other drugs available.

Archived