I guess I belong here

Okay, Pdoc told me I'm BP. I don't know how, since I dont get mania, and was only depressed (a little crisis) once.

Just started Seroquel 400 mgs at night, Lamictal 400 mgs, and Xanax 1 mg PRN.

And he took away my beloved Zoloft.

confused and scared.

LB,

I am BPII.  I don't have episodes of mania either, what I have instead is agitation, irritability and anxiety.  Maybe he meant II instead of I??  You shouuld ask him when you go in next.  Don't be afraid ,there are lots of us! ;)

Deb

LB, the first thing you need to do is go to the top of the bipolar forum page and read this thread explaining the different kinds of bipolar disorder.  The first post in that thread is key.  I hope that will help make things clearer for you. 

The three kinds of bipolar I typically concern myself with are bipolar 1, 2, and 3.  Bipolar 3 is the mildest kind, where you can get very, very depressed, but your hypomanias are always mild.  In addition, most diagnosed cyclothymics (BP3s) don't get suicidally depressed, according to most articles I've found. 

Bipolar 2 is another form of bipolar disorder in which you do not become manic.  You might become hypomanic (its gentler cousin), and you will certainly become depressed, but you don't hallucinate or become crazy-crazy.  In fact, many people will write off hypomanic behavior to variant normalcy.  Those of us who are happy and productive during hypomanic times might find that some people prefer us in a hypomanic state! 

Hypomanic periods are customarily shorter than manic periods, according to the literature.  The literature, however, is fallible.  (Just look at what it says about rapid cycling, and what we say.  The discrepancy is almost funny.)

Bipolar 1 is the main form of bipolar disorder featuring mania.  Unless you've done some pretty crazy shit, or you've been delusional or had noteworthy hallucinations, this isn't you. 

Some bipolars don't have hypomanic or manic states.  Instead, they experience mixed states featuring agitation, anxiety, and irritability.  If this sounds familiar, you may want to run a search on the topic.  There should be some good information on http://pendulum.org, http://bipolar.about.com, or http://www.mcmanweb.com

There's a series of good introductory articles listed on this site, organized into a guided tour.  You might want to read through there in your efforts to learn about bipolar disorder. 

Just out of curiousity, which type of bipolar disorder did your pdoc suggest, if any?  You might want to keep an eye out for articles specifically referencing that type.  And remember, being diagnosed bipolar is not the end of the world.  For me, it was an early step in finding out what was wrong with me so I could fix it or work around it.  If this is the right diagnosis for you, it might help you find the right treatment, a treatment that works.  Good luck. 

LB-it sounds kind of weird to be dx'd bp after one bout of depression and no signs of mania or hypomania. And even weirder to be placed immediately on such high doses of an AP and Mood stab.

Was there a lot of stuff going on that you didn't mention? I know when I was dx'd, I was on depression episode number whatever(off and on since childhood) never treated or dx'd. I was given  a dx of bp2 when none of the AD's were working and somewere making me go kooky/mixed state hell. WAs the zololft working for you?

Sorry for all the questions, but it sounds kind of like a weird situation. mel

Bipolar 1 is the main form of bipolar disorder featuring mania.  Unless you've done some pretty crazy shit, or you've been delusional or had noteworthy hallucinations, this isn't you. 

The way my pdoc classifies people: if you've been so manic that you get arrested, then you're BP 1.  Otherwise, you're BP2.

According to your description (and every other book I've read), I'm BP 1 with psychotic features.  I get the delusions and hallucinations.  I get so manic that I scare everyone around me.

Oh, yeah, and I'm prone to rapid cycling.  Joy.

We used to wonder if my hubby was bipolar because he never got depressed. Just bat shit bouncing off the walls nutso. Now I recognize that his depression used to show itself as agitation, not being sad, blue or suicidal. Of course, now he has been in a depression for about a year..but he IS bipolar.

According the the charts, he was a BP6. Now he is acting like a BP1. (Not sure if that is a promotion or a demotion ;) ) As long as we can get him on good, helpful meds, I don't really care what number they stick on him.

At that moment I was in the middle of a depressive nightmare. Suicidal, and wanting to kill someone I am assuming that is whre BP came from.

But who knows anymore?

LB-it sounds kind of weird to be dx'd bp after one bout of depression and no signs of mania or hypomania. And even weirder to be placed immediately on such high doses of an AP and Mood stab.

Was there a lot of stuff going on that you didn't mention? I know when I was dx'd, I was on depression episode number whatever(off and on since childhood) never treated or dx'd. I was given  a dx of bp2 when none of the AD's were working and somewere making me go kooky/mixed state hell. WAs the zololft working for you?

Sorry for all the questions, but it sounds kind of like a weird situation. mel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived