CrazyBoards.org

5 Factors Help Predict Psychosis in Children

[link=http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20080110/hl_hsn/5factorshelppredictpsychosisinchildren" target="_blank]http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20080110/hl_hs...hosisinchildren[/link]

Edited to add:

The researchers identified five factors that could help predict the eventual development of psychosis. These included a family history of schizophrenia with recent deterioration in functioning; higher levels of unusual thoughts; higher levels of suspicion or paranoia; greater social impairment; and a history of substance abuse.

When two or three of these factors were present, the odds of psychotic illness jumped. Two factors increased the likelihood of psychotic illness to 68 percent, and three factors combined raised the risk to 80 percent.

The researchers identified five factors that could help predict the eventual development of psychosis. These included a family history of schizophrenia with recent deterioration in functioning; higher levels of unusual thoughts; higher levels of suspicion or paranoia; greater social impairment; and a history of substance abuse.

When two or three of these factors were present, the odds of psychotic illness jumped. Two factors increased the likelihood of psychotic illness to 68 percent, and three factors combined raised the risk to 80 percent.

i couldn't get the link to work... but just from this i would say it's cause and effect... it is quite often that drug use is self medicating... ditto the higher levels of everything... the only precursor seems to be the family history..

these all sound to me like things that indicate there might currently be MI.

abigail

• 4 weeks later...

'higher levels of unusual thoughts; higher levels of suspicion or paranoia; greater social impairment'

These sort of being symptoms, if they are there, then it is pretty obvious that the risk would be higher. It's like saying that mood swings being present means you are at a risk of bipolar, for example. Which doesn't strike me as newsworthy.

Archived